Remotelinc 2 connectivity and linking to scenes

Hi Guys;

Just bought a 4 pack of Remotelinc 2 * button remotes (I had one previously that rarely worked, after years of ignoring the issue I broke it open to find a battery wire was cold soldered)

(my bad for not being faster with it)

Anyhow,

I'm using these because the original remotelincs don't work well with the new ISY.

When I link the RL2 the ISY say unsupported device 0.26

It still shows up in my list of network devices.

But when I try to link a button to a scene it doesn't give me the option to link it as a controller. It immediately starts linking as a responder.

And when its all said and done when I push the button nothing happens.

(Sweet)

Any help would be great.

I'm linking the RL2 by 

Link Management

-Link a Remotelinc 2

-8 Button

Drew

When it enters the Network list of devices the buttons are listed out of order

B A D C F E H G

And there are light bulbs for icons beside them

Hello Drew,

Your next step is to use the two colored whirling arrows *Start Linking* and follow the prompts. But before you do so please ensure you hard reset the RL2 per the users manual.

Many units seem to need this done a few times before it operates and allows enrolling . . . Lastly, once that process is done place the RL2 by the 2413S PLM when you start the linking process.

Hi Tekken;

I've tried a few times. I've hard booted the remote (as per the manual directions)

Still no luck.

I'm hoping theres another step?

Drew

Is the RL2 fully charged and placed next to the 2413S PLM? You can try the light bulb option that's next to the whirling colored arrows.

You have two choices leave it in *Auto* (Recommended) or to select it from the drop down list.

I'm sorry I was unclear about the lightbulbs.

The lightbulb icon I was referring to was beside the name of the remotelinc (where the words are blue and pink, where my devices and scenes are in the left hand column)

Usually theres a rectangle with 6 squares

I will charge the RL2 longer.

Should the RL2 be beside the PLM for the whole time, linking and then scene writing?

Drew

Hello Drew,

The RL2 once placed into linking mode (Units LED will blink steady) should be left near the PLM or any dual band device you have in the home.

I would use the two whirling arrows a try a few more times and perhaps very the distance in case its a range issue. Sometimes for what ever reason the signal is too strong vs too weak like it was for the older 2440 units.

Hi Tekken;

No matter the way I seem to try, I can't get the ISY to recognize the RL2 (again, I bought these because I was told the RL1 was problematic with the newer PLMs, seems all RLs are problematic with the newer PLMs)

I've selected "add devices found in links and remove existing links" and when I press the set buttons nothing happens.

Pressing FINISH just closes the linking window.

I've tried within inches of the PLM, in the same room, outside the room, upstairs away from the PLM.

No matter where I go nada.

Any other thoughts?

Drew

As an observation, when I try to link more than one RL2, pressing the link mode of one remote shuts the other one off out of linking mode.

I don't know if that helps or if thats just an observation that will help someone later on.

Hello Drew,

1. You must only link one battery operated device at a time. Otherwise they will cross link to one another.

2. I want you to hard reset all the RL2's one more time following the full users manual.

3. Once done I want you to take one single RL2 and to *Manually* link it to some other Insteon device that is already enrolled into the controller.

4. Bring up the level 3 logging and when you press the RL2 that is linked to what ever device. You should see in the logs the actual RL2 Insteon address that is associated with the other.

You can see the same thing by going to that associated device and on the right hand side where it says controller / res-ponder for it will show the same RL2 address.

The reason you're doing a manual linking is to prove that the device operates and does indeed *Native Manual* linking. If it does in fact link this way and is able to control that secondary device. Your problem is either a controller issue or RF issue or both.

Please confirm both UI & Firmware are the same for the controller. Reboot it and wait for it to come back up once you have completed 1~4.

And try another RL2 to see if it links using the swirling arrows etc. 

I'm able to control a SWL with the remote by manual linking 

I'm not sure how to view Log Level 3

Drew

Hello Drew,

You can skip that for now and just go to that linked device and confirm what the address notes when compared to the sticker. Essentially what I expect to see is the insteon address is the same as on the label.

If so great then try to link it again to the controller . . .

This may sound counter intuitive but sometimes the system will see the address in the system and just push forward with the linking process. 

When I go to the ISY and look at the SWL I was able to link the RL2 to, The RL2 isn't in the membership area.

Also, when I control the SWL from the RL2, the ISY doesn't update the state of the light.

When I double click the SWL and look at its DEVICE LINKS TABLE

I see the number found on the back of the RL2.

The whole line is;

19  :  0F60  :  AA 02 3F.3D.11  FF 1F 01

the ISY LINKS TABLE doesn't have it (that makes sense)

I'm unclear on exactly what to do now...

When you say to try to link it again to the controller the RL2 is the controller is it not? 

Am I to click the two swirling arrows and press the set button or go to LINK MANAGEMENT and type in that whole exact line I typed above (or a portion of it?)

Drew

I'm feeling positive about the solution at this point, thank you.

I just wanted to confirm the address which you did perfectly. Please try to link the RL2 using both methods.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Did you pick the RL2 from the Drop Down List in the Link Management Tab?

If you have a Plus version of the ISY994i. Having the Enable Automatic Battery writes seemed to help me when adding my 4 Scene RL2.

Hi Tekken;

If I try to link using the swirling arrows it still doesn't give me the option to add an address. It just does nothing.

When I try to add a remotelinc 2 and enter the address it told me the address wasn't formatted properly.

I'm assuming I don't know how much of the string of numbers and letters I should put into the address line.

Or how to format it  with spaces or no spaces etc...

Drew

Hello Drew,

When entering the Insteon address it requires a period no spaces or dashes.

Ie: 2E.F4.GH

When using the two whirling colored arrows you need only press on that icon. Than press and hold the RL2 set button until it flashes placing it into linking mode.

Go back to the Admin Console and follow the prompts.

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

It looks as if manually linking the remote to a device first made the difference

(the remote is being recognized by the ISY and is loading now, I've not tried to add it to a scene yet, I'll do that tonight after work)

Do I now some how remove the link I made with the SWL?

If so, would I do that by making the same RL2 button a controller in the ISY and then removing it?

Secondly,

Do I have to Manually link each RL2 to a device and then repeat this process?

Drew

PS.

The Buttons of the RL2 again show up as 

B A D C F E H G

in the ISY Network

Should I worry about this?

Drew

Hello Drew,

Normally and in 99% of the cases you do not have to manually link to another Insteon device for the controller to enroll. Having said this its something I've seen in the field which makes me scratch my head as to why. Regardless, you can right mouse click and select restore device and it will delete any unknown links from both devices that were manually linked.

Please ensure you press on the respective button on the RL2 to confirm its gone and verify in the controller / responder table to the right of each device to ensure its either gone or present depending upon what your doing.

Can you offer a screen capture of the ABCDH

Hi Tekken

When I shut down the ISY and turn it on again the letters A B C D E F G H seem to be in order.

But there are still lightbulb icons to the left of the RL2 labels where all my devices are listed.

Devices are usually in Red lettering, appliancelincs are in blue.

The RL2 lettering is in blue 

When I add a button from the RL2 it again goes into the scene as a responder, not a controller.

In the scene its listed as an unsupported device:0.26

I don't know how to upload an image file.

Drew

Hi Tekken

When I shut down the ISY and turn it on again the letters A B C D E F G H seem to be in order.

But there are still lightbulb icons to the left of the RL2 labels where all my devices are listed.

Devices are usually in Red lettering, appliancelincs are in blue.

The RL2 lettering is in blue 

When I add a button from the RL2 it again goes into the scene as a responder, not a controller.

In the scene its listed as an unsupported device:0.26

I don't know how to upload an image file.

Drew

Hello Drew,

In the lower right hand side is *More Reply Options* once you select that. At the bottom of the box is the *Attach Files* once selected you will press the *Attach This File*.

In almost any current Windows OS is the *Snipping* tool for you to take a screen capture please use that to capture the image. If you don't have that available you can always do a print screen and copy and paste that image to a word document.

Hello Drew,

You will need to install the correct 4.5.4 Admin Console. Anytime the firmware and UI don't match this can result in odd behavior.

You can download it from the Beta 4.5.4 thread and ensure you clear the Java cache while selecting all box's

Archived