Thermostats Not Updating ISY with Status Changes

apostolakisl

I have noticed that the temps do not update in the ISY on their own.  Or at least, they aren't updating for many hours.  This morning for example, I had to manually query all the thermostats to get the current temp.  The temp shown was at least 3 hours old, and perhaps many hours older than that.

Should not the thermostat automatically transmit every time a value changes?  Like how a light switch transmits every time it changes status.  Or do I have something configured wrong?  This does not seem to be a com issue since a query pops back with the correct value very quickly.

If you are referring to remote access by MobiLinc, for example, my lousy zth only updates, if I recall correctly, when the temp changes by 2 degrees! I use Honeywell stats at home and the zth at a vacation home. I only use the zth to notify me if the heating system has failed. I have to reboot it about every 30 or so days for it to perform at all. I am going to supplement it with a Cao tag in the next couple of weeks. I have tested these tags here at home and found them to be accurate (once calibrated) and dependable. I can have them send notifications when the temp does not meet predefined criteria plus I can see the temp immediately by accessing them on my iPhone. I also use them to determine when my postal mail has been delivered here and at the vacation home.

IMO Smarthome needs to do some major rework on their stats in the area of performance, reliability and appearance.

If you are referring to remote access by MobiLinc, for example, my lousy zth only updates, if I recall correctly, when the temp changes by 2 degrees! I use Honeywell stats at home and the zth at a vacation home. I only use the zth to notify me if the heating system has failed. I have to reboot it about every 30 or so days for it to perform at all. I am going to supplement it with a Cao tag in the next couple of weeks. I have tested these tags here at home and found them to be accurate (once calibrated) and dependable. I can have them send notifications when the temp does not meet predefined criteria plus I can see the temp immediately by accessing them on my iPhone. I also use them to determine when my postal mail has been delivered here and at the vacation home.

IMO Smarthome needs to do some major rework on their stats in the area of performance, reliability and appearance.

It sounds like you are saying that the thermostats only report a status change when the temp changes by more than 2 degrees?  Not sure that mobile linc makes any difference here since mobile linc would be reporting whatever ISY has in its database.  I'm using Agave, ISY Dashboard, and ISY Admin console.  All 3 report the same values at any given time.

But 2 degrees is kind of a lot.  I'm thinking I may need to write a query program and have them query every 15 minutes or something.

It sounds like you are saying that the thermostats only report a status change when the temp changes by more than 2 degrees?  Not sure that mobile linc makes any difference here since mobile linc would be reporting whatever ISY has in its database.  I'm using Agave, ISY Dashboard, and ISY Admin console.  All 3 report the same values at any given time.

But 2 degrees is kind of a lot.  I'm thinking I may need to write a query program and have them query every 15 minutes or something.

If you are referring to the 2441(Z)TH Insteon thermostats, mine report in about every 1.5 degrees C.

The local operation works on the resolution you see on the screen (0.5c)

You cannot query the temperature from the stats. everything else, but not the temp. On just batteries you can't query anything IIRC.

If you are referring to the 2441(Z)TH Insteon thermostats, mine report in about every 1.5 degrees C.

The local operation works on the resolution you see on the screen (0.5c)

You cannot query the temperature from the stats. everything else, but not the temp. On just batteries you can't query anything IIRC.

They are 2732-242 v11 heat pump models.  I just bought them so they should be the most recent firmware.

1.5 c is 3F.  That is kind of a lot but is consistent with what I see.

What you say about your query experience is not what I see with these.  When I do a manual query the temp and humidity update to new values regardless of how small the change.  For example, I just did a query on device and the temp changed from 72.5 to 73 and humidity changed from 68 to 69. 

These are not battery operated, they run on the 24vac from the furnace.

They are 2732-242 v11 heat pump models.  I just bought them so they should be the most recent firmware.

1.5 c is 3F.  That is kind of a lot but is consistent with what I see.

What you say about your query experience is not what I see with these.  When I do a manual query the temp and humidity update to new values regardless of how small the change.  For example, I just did a query on device and the temp changed from 72.5 to 73 and humidity changed from 68 to 69. 

These are not battery operated, they run on the 24vac from the furnace.

Some of us spent all our money earlier and aren't so lucky to have the latest units. :)

It would be interesting to find out if the large reporting exception rule applies from the last update after a query.

IOW: If the last temperature sent to ISY was 72F and you query it and it sends 74F, will the next report be at 76F (72+4) or 78F (74+4)?

That would seem that a query before critical usage would be necessary each time. Trouble with that logic is that you don't know the time is critical until the stat reports in. duh!

Another thought: Is there a time period report that the stat reports whatever it has every X minute/hours, regardless, or from the last report? Surely, SH would have gained some high level protocol intelligence by now.

Some of us spent all our money earlier and aren't so lucky to have the latest units. :)

It would be interesting to find out if the large reporting exception rule applies from the last update after a query.

IOW: If the last temperature sent to ISY was 72F and you query it and it sends 74F, will the next report be at 76F (72+4) or 78F (74+4)?

That would seem that a query before critical usage would be necessary each time. Trouble with that logic is that you don't know the time is critical until the stat reports in. duh!

Another thought: Is there a time period report that the stat reports whatever it has every X minute/hours, regardless, or from the last report? Surely, SH would have gained some high level protocol intelligence by now.

I wish they published the protocols so I wouldn't have to guess and do trial and error.  For now, I set ISY to query every 15 minutes with a 15 second wait between each unit.

They are 2732-242 v11 heat pump models. 

Just another thought....

I figure you know this, but the mechanical heat pump stats had two contacts, and the heat pump was set the highest temperature. A few degrees lower the back up heat contact would cut in, and usually some had an option to stop the heat-pump when the backup ran,  or run both simultaneously. The two contact outputs are not confusing the issue of reporting differential I hope.

This seems a little out-of-whack for a AC run stat. It's not like they need to save the batteries by reporting too often.

Archived