Motorized blinds--if you were starting from scratch

auger66

I'm moving into a new condo in the same building and leaving my ISY/Insteon system in the old one. Things have come a long way since I put my battery-powered Hunter-Douglas blinds in 13 years ago . . .

Planning on setting up the same system from scratch in the new place, which is being completely renovated. I'm running AC power up to the top of the window. I don't have any z-wave, but I could certainly get it with the new ISY if it helps. I'm a little concerned about wireless range as I have a lot of interference in the 900 mHz range. The battery-powered open/close sensor has about 2' range at most. The leak detectors usually work at 8'. I have another ISY/Insteon setup in the middle of nowhere, and both of these devices have great range.

So my question is if you were starting from nothing, what would you go with today--blinds, motorization system, and ISY interface? And maybe even a store recommendation? I can install them myself.

I see either Somfy or Lutron will work. One problem I have already is window height. In two rooms I have 83" w by 117" h windows that I want blackout blinds in, which means it has to be one piece. Probably one big roller shade. Hunter-Douglas, for instance, has an 8' height limit with motorized. In the other room, drapes that retract to the sides--not blackout.

AC power available

10' height

Motor system and ISY interface? This forum is the best place for these two . . .

Blinds?

Vendor recommendation?

An answer for any one of these questions would be great. I've been poking around online for a few hours and am having a hard time putting it all together. Thanks.

Somfy SDN (RS485) DC Powered + Autelis Shade Control for Somfy SDN (SDN > IP gateway) + ISY is what I'm planning on putting in shortly. Of course you can do SDN AC-powered as well.

If you want to be able to control from Somfy RTS remotes, you can get an RTS to SDN gateway that you put in each area/room.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you both so much!

I've been swamped with the renovation itself, and I'm not even doing anything except intercepting mistakes!

I couldn't tell from Somfy's website if they could handle my large blinds. Let me look into it harder, and I'll post what I find out.

I'm still open to more advice until then . . .

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to my own thread for an update. I still haven't installed anything yet. The renovation has slowed down.

Somfy appears to be the easiest to integrate with the ISY. Somfy RTS operates in the 433 mHz range. Hopefully, I won't have the range problems I have in the 900 mHz range.

The large size of the blinds is not a problem.

I was able to get all this information on my own years ago. Now is seems like you have to go through a blind installer to get the information.

I'm either going to get a Autelis Shade Control for Somfy RTS or the Universal Serial Interface for ISY. I need to look into this further to see which is better.

*** I just noticed the Autelis website is offline. Hmmm . . .  I hope they're still there.

You'll need both the Somfy Universal Interface RTS Interface II (Somfy Part No. 1810872) and the Autelis Somfy RTS interface.

You'll need both the Somfy Universal Interface RTS Interface II (Somfy Part No. 1810872) and the Autelis Somfy RTS interface.

Yes, understood, but thank you.

Since the Autelis website is still down, I might have to come up with a plan B. Their forum is still up, though.

So is their Wiki. BTW, wiith 14 window covering, I decided I needed more than 16 channels. With the extra port on the Autelis interface you can add up to three additional Somfy interfaces (16 channels each). It's $10 if you order it at the same time, $35 if you add it later. You get one guess on how I know about the add it later price B)

• 2 months later...

Super late to this one - but I used Lutron roller shades and honeycomb treatments. 

Their little hub can take commands directly from the ISY over the network (similar protocol as their pro line).

Very easy setup and all battery powered (shades not drapes). 
I bought so many I am considered a dealer (could help someone out at my cost if needed). 

I do not have access to their automated drapery line - but did buy one - it was pricy - but works and is rock solid. 

https://www.serenashades.com/ideagallery?shade_style=roller 

Somfy SDN (RS485) DC Powered + Autelis Shade Control for Somfy SDN (SDN > IP gateway) + ISY is what I'm planning on putting in shortly. Of course you can do SDN AC-powered as well.

If you want to be able to control from Somfy RTS remotes, you can get an RTS to SDN gateway that you put in each area/room.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

First note here: just know that AC motors from somfy are going to be much quieter than DC motors. I did a couple of installs where I wired for DC motors and cat5 for control when my somfy contact told me I should start doing AC because they are so much quieter. 

Also I learned that somfy should be coming out with a better RTS>IP interface here soon, if they haven't already. I haven't checked in with them in awhile. 

I still plan to wire a couple of cat5 cables to each valence/area for the minimum of an RTS transmitter to carry commands from an ISY.

Banichi, the Somfy RTS transmitters are wireless. Which interface do you have wired to the Somfy motors?

BTW, the only Cat5 cable I'm using is between a router and an Autelis Somfy RTS interface and between the Autelis and a Somfy (URTSI) interface. Each motor has an RTS receiver.

And yes, the 120VAC motors are quieter than the low voltage motors.

Banichi, the Somfy RTS transmitters are wireless. Which interface do you have wired to the Somfy motors?

BTW, the only Cat5 cable I'm using is between a router and an Autelis Somfy RTS interface and between the Autelis and a Somfy (URTSI) interface. Each motor has an RTS receiver.

And yes, the 120VAC motors are quieter than the low voltage motors.

Haven't done it yet, but was thinking sdn motors with the sdn>rts boxes I think. It's been a bit since I looked this over but I think that's what I was thinking of. So I guess they are rts receivers so that customers can also have an rts remote. I had it backwards, receivers, not transmitters.

Though things have been changing recently with somfy, meaning they have some new products. So I'll take another look at what they have going on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Both are relative easy to control. But there's a lot more to window covering than control, for example design and price. Also, are you adding motors to existing shading or are you buying new?

Both are relative easy to control. But there's a lot more to window covering than control, for example design and price. Also, are you adding motors to existing shading or are you buying new?

Starting with new shades think I am going to go with Soomfy and the rts to zwave, as I just want open closed to start.

Any recommendations on where to buy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you going with ready made or made to order?

BTW, I have a slew of Somfy window coverings, all RTS. Along with the ISY network module, Somfy URTS interface and an Autelis Somfy interface, I have complete control via the ISY, any Insteon controller and Somfy wall and hand-held remotes. That includes automatically closing at night, opening in the morning (not the bedroom), and anything in between, for example one-third open, one third closed, halfway, etc.

Are you going with ready made or made to order?

BTW, I have a slew of Somfy window coverings, all RTS. Along with the ISY network module, Somfy URTS interface and an Autelis Somfy interface, I have complete control via the ISY, any Insteon controller and Somfy wall and hand-held remotes. That includes automatically closing at night, opening in the morning (not the bedroom), and anything in between, for example one-third open, one third closed, halfway, etc.

I am going to order some custom ones in the bedroom to start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Bringing back an oldie but goodie. Looking into window treatments (starting from scratch) and was wondering if anyone out there has integrated Hunter Douglas into their ISY based system?

If so, how easily was it accomplished or should I be looking at a Somfy based system instead of Hunter Douglas?

Archived