How do you waterproof RGBW LED strips? Awning project.

etsvilik

I started reading through an avalanche of posts regarding RGBW strips and want to start somewhere with those toys. Don't have any prior experience with LED strips.

For my first trial I'd like to use the strips on retractable awning outside. Something similar to Somfy LED kit but with RGBW colors, advanced controls etc. I plan to attach the strip to Awning arms with about 3 foot sections on each part with flexible jumpers/connectors around the middle elbows and shoulders.

I'm looking for your guys experience/suggestions on weatherproofing of LED, connectors and controller. Experience with waterproof strips. Should I use strips or may be some rigid fixtures you can recommend?

I saw some watertight connectors on AliExpress but not sure if those will work. I guess I can solder pigtail to the strips and tape over. I'm looking for more neat, lasting implementation as the strips are exposed and very visible from under the awning.

IP 67 rated RGBWW LED strips are completely sealed in a rectangular crosssectional silicone tube.

Run them into a sealed wiring box with some hole sealant and run the cord out of the box with a cord sealing grommet.

Many of these controllers are WiFi now and that would give you some festive options from a cell phone app or your ISY NR module.

RGBW strip (5m) $12

Controller $12

Connectors $3

Power Supply 12v 3-5A $12

Electrical box $25

Grommet $1

Prices are aproximate.

I started reading through an avalanche of posts regarding RGBW strips and want to start somewhere with those toys. Don't have any prior experience with LED strips.

For my first trial I'd like to use the strips on retractable awning outside. Something similar to Somfy LED kit but with RGBW colors, advanced controls etc. I plan to attach the strip to Awning arms with about 3 foot sections on each part with flexible jumpers/connectors around the middle elbows and shoulders.

I'm looking for your guys experience/suggestions on weatherproofing of LED, connectors and controller. Experience with waterproof strips. Should I use strips or may be some rigid fixtures you can recommend?

I saw some watertight connectors on AliExpress but not sure if those will work. I guess I can solder pigtail to the strips and tape over. I'm looking for more neat, lasting implementation as the strips are exposed and very visible from under the awning.

Larry is correct. Also there are strips on ebay that are waterproof as well. Silicone the connections and/or use that funky waterproof grease. The controller is the most important. Then just run wire from it to the strip. Maybe swap the outlet out to a GFCI it will plug into to be on the safe side if its not already. Could also use a heat shrink tube to keep the water from the led end where the wire goes into or some tape.

Use the old cable installers trick. Coat the splice point with silicone grease or caulking and slip heat shrink over it.

Now apply heat and the silicone oozes out for a hermetic seal that is good underground for...well they haven't failed yet.

Many of the phone companies splices come that way. they crimp, snap together and bury it.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Have few more questions:

My wife insists we don't need RGB there-just warm white. Can I still use Magic or similar controller one W channel to dim the strips?

If above works. Do I need to turn off the light on the AC side with say micro on/off insteon module or I can turn them "off" via controller, leaving power supply always on?

How "noisy" are those controllers, power supplies? I'm referring to both RF and power line interefernce. Should I plan for Insteon filter on the PS?

With 18 of them operating here, I have no Insteon problems and no filters.

If you don't want RGB, then just turn on white. You can get JUST white strips and you might save $1-2 on them. A smaller PS might be used but I doubt they are any cheaper.

I never turn off my power supplies. I would have  to reach behind cabinet or climb on counters to get at the plugs. They are all switching supplies so they draw next to nothing when off. I measured all the power draws for this and posted it about a year back.

If you want neat appearance and waterproof, I wouldn't cut these strips into segments. Just bend them around the corners and tie wrap them to the frame. Some rounding will be necessary to not break the PCB inside.

Archived