restore to new PLM 90% devices working...

PLM failed last week. Purchased new one and followed instructions on replacement to restore PLM.

several 2476D (v.37, v.27) failed write to device. But I can control (on/off) some from the Admin Console.

All was apparently working before. No significant event (power surge, lightning) before the PLM gave up the ghost.

(I'm guessing it is the 2 year capacitor curse)

Steps I have taken:

1. Tried restore PLM again.

2. Reset PLM and tried restore.

3. Disabled all devices that were showing ! and tried restore individually.

4. Removed a 2442 access point near one 2476D, reset 2476D and that fixed that one.   

System was installed in 2002 or so, have replaced some devices with ISY99 - about 25 devices -- including keypadlincs (2), 2443 access points (4), also have an bridge installed at the panel. Most of the work was done before dual band -- only have one of those devices.

At this point not sure if "was apparently working" is true. I originally installed devices before ISY and linked and created scenes using the Insteon method. Then used the ISY to build other scenes and add timed events.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Not sure if I need to start thinking about replacing with dual band, update the ISY or maybe the new PLM is defective. But my first thought is there must be a communication issue.

PLM failed last week. Purchased new one and followed instructions on replacement to restore PLM.

several 2476D (v.37, v.27) failed write to device. But I can control (on/off) some from the Admin Console.

All was apparently working before. No significant event (power surge, lightning) before the PLM gave up the ghost.

(I'm guessing it is the 2 year capacitor curse)

Steps I have taken:

1. Tried restore PLM again.

2. Reset PLM and tried restore.

3. Disabled all devices that were showing ! and tried restore individually.

4. Removed a 2442 access point near one 2476D, reset 2476D and that fixed that one.   

System was installed in 2002 or so, have replaced some devices with ISY99 - about 25 devices -- including keypadlincs (2), 2443 access points (4), also have an bridge installed at the panel. Most of the work was done before dual band -- only have one of those devices.

At this point not sure if "was apparently working" is true. I originally installed devices before ISY and linked and created scenes using the Insteon method. Then used the ISY to build other scenes and add timed events.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Not sure if I need to start thinking about replacing with dual band, update the ISY or maybe the new PLM is defective. But my first thought is there must be a communication issue.

Do you still have the 99i or the 994?  (the 99i is no longer supported)

If it's the 994 then make sure you're running the current ISY firmware and UI (4.5.4)

On the devices you're having a problem with, right click on the device and click on "restore device".

Did this clear up the problem?

Power down the ISY99i and old PLM.

Replaced PLM and power up.

Power up ISY99i -- let it boot up completely.

Restore PLM.

Also tried:

RESET PLM 

did first three steps above

confirmed PLM had no links

Restore PLM

confirmed PLM has links now.

So I am guessing that I have a communication issue rather than a PLM issue?

Since I installed all of this before ISY -- there are links directly between switches (such as virtual 3-ways), and those still work even thought Admin panel can write to one of those switches.

Power down the ISY99i and old PLM.

Replaced PLM and power up.

Power up ISY99i -- let it boot up completely.

Restore PLM.

Also tried:

RESET PLM 

did first three steps above

confirmed PLM had no links

Restore PLM

confirmed PLM has links now.

So I am guessing that I have a communication issue rather than a PLM issue?

Since I installed all of this before ISY -- there are links directly between switches (such as virtual 3-ways), and those still work even thought Admin panel can write to one of those switches.

Maybe. Plug the PLM and a module into the same duplex receptacle. Inspect your serial cord between the ISY and the PLM for breaks or pulled out wires.

I moved the ISY99 upstairs (from its 3-year-old location) and that has corrected the problem.

Nothing has changed recently so a bit strange, but am used to that.

Thanks for all the advice. 

p.s. I voted for a new PLM on the Insteon board!

Archived