Locative Cloud Removal

andyf0

Locative had a new update in the Apple Store today. Now I no longer get any notifications that it did anything. I assume the cloud removal also removed the sound and visual notifications that I listened for to ensure it worked correctly. Anyone else?

Locative had a new update in the Apple Store today. Now I no longer get any notifications that it did anything. I assume the cloud removal also removed the sound and visual notifications that I listened for to ensure it worked correctly. Anyone else?

That makes sense, as Locative was sending push notifications. That requires that Locative maintain a server to send the pushes to Apple. (You can't do it directly from an app - they have to be consolidated into a single stream.)

It would have eventually been booted from the App Store with broken functionality had they just shut off the server.

Alternately, it could have been changed to send local notifications. But would have been a bit of work for the author. I'm assuming the idea behind the push notifications is that it was able to notify all devices on the account? Just a guess.

The update states that "my.locativ.io has been shutdown, cloud features have been removed". The link still sends to the ISY portal when geofences are crossed.

Its still a great solution for geofence notification that works with the V5.10 and ISY Portal

Paul

Well I liked the local notifications. Does anyone have the updated version and still have the sounds when entering and exiting their fences? They did leave the ON/OFF settings in there for notifications and mine are all ON, but nothing, no sounds and no notifications.

Well I liked the local notifications. Does anyone have the updated version and still have the sounds when entering and exiting their fences? They did leave the ON/OFF settings in there for notifications and mine are all ON, but nothing, no sounds and no notifications.

Same here.  I ended up having the ISY send a pushover notification to me.  Better this way as now I get confirmation that the ISY received the boundary crossing.

-Xathros

I like all my ISY notifications in one place with pushover. It creates a single house log of events to review.

Plus, it actually tells you if the message got through to the ISY, and I trust my ISY's state more than what Locative thinks it is. Sometimes the geofence doesn't trip or the call fails or the app crashes and it's more helpful to know if the message got there.

How or what are you all using to detect the boundary crossing? I understand setting up 5.x with a variable and using Pushover to send the status, but what detects the actual location of the phone and triggers the send? I am curious about both Android and iOS. Thank you.

How or what are you all using to detect the boundary crossing? I understand setting up 5.x with a variable and using Pushover to send the status, but what detects the actual location of the phone and triggers the send? I am curious about both Android and iOS. Thank you.

There are a number of apps available that will do GeoFencing based on your phone's GPS location.  This thread is referring to one called Locative.  Mobilinc also provides GeoFencing capabilities along with several other apps.  Locative is free to use and can post to the ISY's rest interface or via the UDI portal if you subscribe to that.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Archived