SynchroLinc - Insteon #2423A5

robl

Has this device just disappeared with another defective SH design?

My SynchroLinc has finally crapped completely out after two years of flaky service, needing to be power rest every few months.

I wonder if this is the same PSU cap problem that has plagued the PLMs. Since there is no replacement around I may need to attempt to get out my huge magnifying glass and soldering iron once more. :(

You are probably correct.

I have not fully torn down a SynchroLinc. By removing the PCB from the case.

On the component side of the PCB. It has the same typical 6.8uF/250VDC capacitor. They like to use in the primary side of a switching style power supply. Power cycle resets also sounds like a switcher getting flaky.

I/O Linc also has a switcher in it. So the PLM is not the only module with a switching power supply.  With a poor choice of capacitor brand, size, voltage rating and ESR.

It does look like the SynchroLinc and I-Meter Solo may also be joining the discontinued modules list.

You are probably correct.

I have not fully torn down a SynchroLinc. By removing the PCB from the case.

On the component side of the PCB. It has the same typical 6.8uF/250VDC capacitor. They like to use in the primary side of a switching style power supply. Power cycle resets also sounds like a switcher getting flaky.

I/O Linc also has a switcher in it. So the PLM is not the only module with a switching power supply.  With a poor choice of capacitor brand, size, voltage rating and ESR.

It does look like the SynchroLinc and I-Meter Solo may also be joining the discontinued modules list.

Thanks Brian for the hardware insight.

I may wait for a while to see if an improved units comes out, but may attempt a new cap job on it later if SH pulls it's same old, same old.....nothing.

Has this device just disappeared with another defective SH design?

My SynchroLinc has finally crapped completely out after two years of flaky service, needing to be power rest every few months.

I wonder if this is the same PSU cap problem that has plagued the PLMs. Since there is no replacement around I may need to attempt to get out my huge magnifying glass and soldering iron once more. :(

its been discontinued. I hope they come out with an outlet that has sense technology built into it one day soon. I loved that product. I used it to see if tvs were on that way certain programs wouldn't run (my goodnight turns on the tv in the bedroom if no one is watching it and other things) and interfere with other people

With that said, I've been researching other alternatives. I've been testing the aeotech smart switch 6 and its been working great so far. Depending on when Inovelli comes out with with their receptacle (I prefer hardwired devices) I want to give that a shot. If its not soon, I think im going to swap out my syncrolincs with those as they have a smaller footprint. If you have the zwave card, I would definitely recommend taking a look at that. 

If you dont mind waiting a few months, just pay for shipping and you can have the 3 that Im using.

That's a shame.  While the synchrolincs have their flaws (lots of them), I've found them immensely useful.  I also use a couple of z-wave things for this (big ugly old Aeon things that look like a short extension cord with a tumor in the middle) -- but I've been trying to keep the z-wave and the insteon stuff segregated to minimize the number of programs I have to write, etc.

There's a surprising number of situations where I don't actually need to control something, but I'd really like to know if it's on or not.

I have had this experience with a few Insteon devices now, and now know anything can happen. I am still convinced my OnOff plug-in module caused scenes to trigger in my house every few random nights for about a year. I always thought it was one of my programs I had long forgotten. Simply unplugging and plugging the module back in, resolved that one ...fingers crossed!!!!  :rolleyes:

Ha!! Yeah, we have a few of those situations as well. Sometimes when I open my garage door, I think a motion sensor triggers at the same time, and result is unpredictability. Sometimes both my car garage doors go up. What the hey? Other times I see some lights go on. Spooky!

Ha!! Yeah, we have a few of those situations as well. Sometimes when I open my garage door, I think a motion sensor triggers at the same time, and result is unpredictability. Sometimes both my car garage doors go up. What the hey? Other times I see some lights go on. Spooky!

Don’t use insecure iolinc devices to control the garage door.... problem avoided.

Did I mention that iolinc devices are insecure? I cannot advise having your garage door operated by one.

Don’t use insecure iolinc devices to control the garage door.... problem avoided.

Did I mention that iolinc devices are insecure? I cannot advise having your garage door operated by one.

Good suggestion - what would you suggest instead? Right now we use it both to sense closure and as a momentary trigger to open the doors ...

Archived