Connect to the Internet

So I’m into this enough now to try to connect my Android phone to the Isy994I.   The app I’m playing with is IsyController.  I’m told I need to enable internet access on the Isy, but when I attempt to do that I get a message “Isy failed enabling Internet access”.  Can anyone suggest what my next step should be?

Thanks.
JLOB

You probably went Admin Console > File > Enable Internet access and got the "Failed bla bla bla"

This has come up dozens of times and is VERY misleading. What it means is that the ISY has failed to open a port for HTTPS on your router using UPnP so that you can access the ISY from outside your LAN. (from the internet) ... Nobody concerned about the safety of their home network should allow UPnP on their router anyway.

I sincerely wish Universal Devices would clarify this bit ...

Go to Configuration panel, check DHCP, and set suitable HTTP and HTTPS ports. (like 47182 or 28605)

If you haven't already done so, you will have to establish a permanent IP address for your ISY on your LAN. The best way to do this is in your router by mapping your ISY's MAC address to a specific IP address in your home network. This is known as IP reserved addressing or IP-MAC mapping. You will need to open that HTTPS port on your router to allow your incoming traffic (from the WAN) to be directed to your ISY. This is know as port forwarding.

You can then access your ISY either from your LAN/WiFi network using it's permanently assigned IP and port address or over the internet, provided you know the IP address of your home network, (Check into no-ip.com).

There are more safety concerns you need to consider. Do not open your HTTP port on your router; only HTTPS. You need to ensure that your traffic is encrypted so look into generating a key 4096 bit or 2048 bit minimum, and set a complex Userid and password for your ISY. ...

If you only intend to access your ISY from within your LAN, then you can safely use HTTP which does not require you to generate a key.

Are you OK with this or do you need some more pointers? Anyone can step in :)

You probably went Admin Console > File > Enable Internet access and got the "Failed bla bla bla"

This has come up dozens of times and is VERY misleading. What it means is that the ISY has failed to open a port for HTTPS on your router using UPnP so that you can access the ISY from outside your LAN. (from the internet) ... Nobody concerned about the safety of their home network should allow UPnP on their router anyway.

Go to Configuration panel, check DHCP, and set suitable HTTP and HTTPS ports. (like 47182 or 28605)

If you haven't already done so, you will have to establish a permanent IP address for your ISY on your LAN. The best way to do this is in your router by mapping your ISY's MAC address to a specific IP address in your home network. This is known as IP reserved addressing or IP-MAC mapping. You will need to open that HTTPS port on your router to allow your incoming traffic (from the WAN) to be directed to your ISY. This is know as port forwarding.

You can then access your ISY either from your LAN/WiFi network using it's permanently assigned IP and port address or over the internet, provided you know the IP address of your home network, (Check into no-ip.com).

There are more safety concerns you need to consider. Do not open your HTTP port on your router; only HTTPS. You need to ensure that your traffic is encrypted so look into generating a key 4096 bit or 2048 bit minimum, and set a complex Userid and password for your ISY. ...

If you only intend to access your ISY from within your LAN, then you can safely use HTTP which does not require you to generate a key.

I'm fine for now.  Gotta re-read your note, think about it, the give it a try.  Thanks for your input.  Insightful and helpful.  I'll try to remember to let you know how I make out.  Of course, if i tank it, Ill  be back!

J.

Well I definitely did something wrong!  (Messing with a working system when I don’t know what I’m doing comes to mind.)  I can no longer get to the Isy Administration Console.

To the best of my recollection, this is what I did.

I went to the Configuration panel, checked DHCP, and set the HTTP and HTTPS ports.   I actually USED 47182 and 28605, since as we’ve just proved, I didn’t know what I was doing.  Isy rebooted to reflect the new settings

I then went to y router and found that the IP-MAC mapping was already in place.   Since I didn’t /don’t know how to open the HTTPS port on the router, I stopped.

I tried to access the Admin Console in the normal way.  No joy…

Socket Open Failed  Java.net.Connection Exception: Connection Refused: No Further Information

…and this is where I now sit.  

I haven’t even THOUGHT about encryption yet, but I think it’s safe to assume that  I’ll only access Isy (for changes and modifications) from within my LAN!

ANY advice at the moment will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JLOB

One step at a time ...

When you try to start the admin console, does the ISY finder panel pop up first?

What does it say under the URL column?

It should have something like http://b192.168.1.123:47182b/desc

Please note I have left 2 blanks "b" in the URL above so the the forum would not shorten it and you could see it. The finder panel finds your ISY for you.

One other thing. What ISY firmware and version are you on for your Admin console; they must match.

Also what is the brand and model number of your router? I'll see if I can find a manual for it and point you in the right direction.

One other thing. What ISY firmware and version are you on for your Admin console; they must match.

Also what is the brand and model number of your router? I'll see if I can find a manual for it and point you in the right direction.

The finder shows exactly what you types. (http://192.168.1.243:47182/desc)

If I enter that into a browser, I get a HTML message….

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<root><specVersion><major>1</major><minor>0</minor></specVersion><URLBase>http://192.168.1.243:47182</URLBase><device><deviceType>urn:udi-com:device:X_Insteon_Lighting_Device:1</deviceType><friendlyName>ISY</friendlyName><manufacturer>UniversalDevices Inc.</manufacturer><manufacturerURL>http://www.universal-devices.com</manufacturerURL><modelDescription>X_Insteon_Lighting_Device:1</modelDescription><modelName>ISY 994i 1024</modelName><modelNumber>1100</modelNumber><UDN>uuid:00:21:b9:02:32:00</UDN><UPC>uuid:00:21:b9:02:32:00</UPC><serviceList><service>  etc!

It’s encouraging, but evidently I’m not there yet.

My router is Linksys WRT900AC Dual Band Gigabit

Hope this helps.  

JLOB

Step 2: First try rebooting your ISY and PLM from a power off state:

Try removing power from both the ISY and the PLM, then power up the PLM, wait about 10 seconds then power up the ISY.

If there is still a problem, then, check this post:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/18593-error-messages-on-login-to-admin-console/?hl=%2Bsocket+%2Bopen+%2Bfailed+%2Bjava.net.connection+%2Bexception%3A+%2Bconnection+%2Brefused%3A+%2Bfurther+%2Binformation

Please post results.

From your router manual ...

How to set up DHCP reservation: p27

How to set up port forwarding for a single port: p39

Step 2: First try rebooting your ISY and PLM from a power off state:

Try removing power from both the ISY and the PLM, then power up the PLM, wait about 10 seconds then power up the ISY.

If there is still a problem, then, check this post:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/18593-error-messages-on-login-to-admin-console/?hl=%2Bsocket+%2Bopen+%2Bfailed+%2Bjava.net.connection+%2Bexception%3A+%2Bconnection+%2Brefused%3A+%2Bfurther+%2Binformation

Please post results.

From your router manual ...

How to set up DHCP reservation: p27

How to set up port forwarding for a single port: p39

After a brief hiatus….

Step 2 produced no joy.  I’m not familiar enough with Java to know what to delete from the Java cache, but the idea of it had me going for a bit.  Turns out that since I had already changed the port assignments, and the Isy finder was correctly doing its job, I just re-installed the Isy controller and now I’m back to where I was he this all started.

I apparently need to read my router manual vis-à-vis port forwarding, daunting as it might be.

I guess I really just wanted to be able to control Isy from a phone or tablet.  The Isy controller app that I have immediately stalls with “Rest connection failed”.   Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks.

JLOB

1. Are you using a browser to access your ISY or the JAVA applet? I suggest using the Java applet; there seems to be some problems popping up with browsers and Java.

2. You never answered my question about the firmware level of your ISY and the version level of your admin console. To avoid likely misbehavior of your system, they must be the same. Start the admin console and go to help > about.

3. Clearing you Java cache is a necessary function. You need to learn about this. Search this forum for info or Google for clearing java cache.

Unfortunately, using the ISY for home automation is not just plug in and then enjoy. There is a lot of background knowledge (*and experience) you will need to build up to get the most out of your system and to be able to manipulate your system ... not the other way round.

1. Are you using a browser to access your ISY or the JAVA applet? I suggest using the Java applet; there seems to be some problems popping up with browsers and Java.

2. You never answered my question about the firmware level of your ISY and the version level of your admin console. To avoid likely misbehavior of your system, they must be the same. Start the admin console and go to help > about.

3. Clearing you Java cache is a necessary function. You need to learn about this. Search this forum for info or Google for clearing java cache.

Unfortunately, using the ISY for home automation is not just plug in and then enjoy. There is a lot of background knowledge (*and experience) you will need to build up to get the most out of your system and to be able to manipulate your system ... not the other way round.

Firmware/Isy UI are both 4.5.4

I DID finally figure out how to clear the cache, but it was definitely not clear in the article you recommended.  Seems lke that referenced an older Java setup.

JLOB

Archived