Insteon Thermostat as a Controller

smokegrub

I use this stat in a vacation home solely to monitor temperature. Heating is provided with a propane-fired stove ignited with a pilot light. I would like to use the stat in the summer to turn on Insteon controlled window fans using a program which turns the fans on when the stat temperature is 80 degrees or greater and off when the stat temperature is 75 degrees or less. Is that possible?

I use this stat in a vacation home solely to monitor temperature. Heating is provided with a propane-fired stove ignited with a pilot light. I would like to use the stat in the summer to turn on Insteon controlled window fans using a program which turns the fans on when the stat temperature is 80 degrees or greater and off when the stat temperature is 75 degrees or less. Is that possible?

Sure.

Easiest is two programs. One greater than or equal to 80 deegrees to turn the fans on, and one program less than or equal to 75 degrees to turn the fans off.

The two programs could be combined with a dual logic to trigger Then and Else but it would take some thinking to generate the negative logic to run the Off/Else command.

Even if the program misses the trigger point either one will still run with the next temperature change send as a self-backup.

Not sure what options are available in admin console right now.

Second thought...

One program will not work with a dead band gap. Every time the stat reports a different temperature that condition isn't true it will run False. Three states are needed for a deadband, and Then / Else only offers two states.

Two programs can offer three states.

• >=80 program Then code,
  • <=75 program Then code,
  • both >=80 program False code and <=75 program False code (no code = deadband)

Larry: Please pardon my lack of familiarity with this type of programming but I don't know how to incorporate >= or <= followed by a number into a program. I looked at the Wiki and it made no sense to me.

This is a hands on learning process...

Just start a new program called say..."Temp.high" by selecting the tabs "Progrms" and "Details".

Now at the bottom left click on "New Program" and then type over top of the generic name it creates in the program tree.

Select "Condition" box

In the If section use the pulldown menus to formulate the line (in successive pulldown menus)

Ignore the "And" menu

Select "status"

Select your stats name"

Select "temperature"

Select ">="

Select "80"

Click "Add to if" at bottom

Click "Action"

Selecet "Your devices"

Select "your fan name"

Select "On"

Click "Add to Then" at bottom

Click the "Save Changes" button on the bottom left of the admin console

Test it, by right clicking on the "Temp.high" program name in the program tree (left) and select "run Then", checking if the fan started running.

Create another program named "Temp.low"

Repeat the above but using "<=" and "75" and add it to the If section

Repeat above for Then section with a line 'fan name' and 'off'

Save that program and test 'Temp.high' as above, checking the fan stopped.

Watch it for a few cycles using hair dryer hot and cool on the stat to test function. Don't cook it!

Your done! Now laugh at how easy it was.

You really can't do anything very bad and delete is a click away.

Let us know how it goes.

This is a hands on learning process...

Just start a new program called say..."Temp.high" by selecting the tabs "Progrms" and "Details".

Now at the bottom left click on "New Program" and then type over top of the generic name it creates in the program tree.

Select "Condition" box

In the If section use the pulldown menus to formulate the line (in successive pulldown menus)

Ignore the "And" menu

Select "status"

Select your stats name"

Select "temperature"

Select ">="

Select "80"

Click "Add to if" at bottom

Click "Action"

Selecet "Your devices"

Select "your fan name"

Select "On"

Click "Add to Then" at bottom

Click the "Save Changes" button on the bottom left of the admin console

Test it, by right clicking on the "Temp.high" program name in the program tree (left) and select "run Then", checking if the fan started running.

Create another program named "Temp.low"

Repeat the above but using "<=" and "75" and add it to the If section

Repeat above for Then section with a line 'fan name' and 'off'

Save that program and test 'Temp.high' as above, checking the fan stopped.

Watch it for a few cycles using hair dryer hot and cool on the stat to test function. Don't cook it!

Your done! Now laugh at how easy it was.

You really can't do anything very bad and delete is a click away.

Let us know how it goes.

Larry:

I must be using a version of the software that does not have these features. I am using 4.3.26 and my thermostat displays in the Control step as Themostat (Main), Themostat (Cool Ctl) and Themostat (Heat Ctl). Selecting any of these three does not display the options you indicated. What version are you using?

Larry:

I must be using a version of the software that does not have these features. I am using 4.3.26 and my thermostat displays in the Control step as Themostat (Main), Themostat (Cool Ctl) and Themostat (Heat Ctl). Selecting any of these three does not display the options you indicated. What version are you using?

I am using v5.0.10. YMMV.

It's been a few years since I have seen the "old" method, but it should be obvious. If you can't see temperatures in degrees then you may be trying to use the logical output contacts.

I created this program with the stat reading 76 degrees and the fan did not turn on. I checked the fan independent of the program and it works. I have done something wrong with the program.

Stat Fan Control On - [iD 000F][Parent 0001]

If
        Status  'Thermostat / Thermostat (Main)' >= 70° (Temperature)

Then
        Set 'Fans / Stove Fan' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Run Then works as it should. Yes, I tried different temperature set points; none worked. Something appears to be incorrect with the Condition.

IIRC the thermostat has to correct the status to get the program's attention.

The temperature will have to change about 1.5C or 2F degrees.

Then when the stat sends the new temperature ISY will check all programs that use it and evaluate your program. If it is true the program Then will run.

If possible set you condition to what you want ">=75" and then use the cold and hot air from a hairdryer on it.

Careful not to over heat it past about 90 though. Watch the temperature coast after you take the heat away.

You have your program correctly input. You're almost there.

My thanks to both of you. When I arose this morning the program had run! So, it appears that dumb temperature span issue has once again bitten me. I sure hope Smarthome offers a more robust thermostat in the near future. One which reports degree by degree and a much better overall appearance. I will continue my testing of the programs. If this works effectively, it will be very helpful.

It's not just the thermostat. I've struggled with newly created programs nor running only to find success the following day.

Glad it's working for you. Everything you did was correct B)

Archived