For garage door whats better n/c or n/o wiring?

Blackbird

I used the N.O. for the ioLink and programmed my own programs with no Status reversal that causes so many middle of the night problems.

It wouldn't matter to me. I would just call my status point with the proper logical name.

GDO.closed or GDO.not.closed

GDO.open could work, also...

but a very small open crack could cause my automatic garage parking program, in my Lamborgini RPi, to sense it was OK to slide underneath it. :)

I have the switch at the door wired as n/c but the wire at the i/o link is wired the the n/o. So when door is closed the green light on the i/o link is on. Is that right?

I have never looked at my LED on the ioLink. I only look at the status in the admin console.

My closed status show On when the door is closed and the reversal option is not checked.

Just looked. It's on the ceiling up 12 feet. :)

Green LED is on, while the door is closed. I have no wiring in the C, NO, or NC, as I don't control my garage door from the ioLink. No real need for it and too dangerous until the All ON gremlins are resolved.

The contacts can be wired either way but programming just has to match your status changes. There is no advantage to either NC or NO usage. There is no advantage to LED on when the door is closed or open. It's just an indicator of a closed contact.

I have the switch at the door wired as n/c but the wire at the i/o link is wired the the n/o. So when door is closed the green light on the i/o link is on. Is that right?

The green light on the IOlinc should be on when t he door is open. 

Personally, I don't think it much matters directly whether the LED is on or off when the door is open or closed. I believe the issue most people have is when they link some insteon device (such as a keypad button) as an indicator that the door is open or closed. Most, myself included, want the indicator ON when the door is OPEN. This eventually leads such people to believe that a "Normally Closed" switch is the best option, since it would be ON when the door is open (based also on how the sensor is mounted). You could, of course, mount the switch such that the magnet and switch are engaged when the door is fully open, but this does not seem to suit most' ideas about what is the definition of a closed (fully?) or open (full, partial?) door. Unfortunately, this is not the type of switch that comes with the garage kit.

If you are not using the relay in any particular scene, I don't think the type of magnetic switch matters much at all. Certainly, the ISY works just fine with either.

I have a KPL button lit when the garage door is open. That requires that the sensor be wired to N.C. contacts from the magnetic sensor switch as oberkc suggested. Reverse that if you want the indicator to be lit when the garage door is closed. Do no use reverse sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived