CURB alternate to Brultech?

yaplej

Anyone taken a look at CURB Pro?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015IY0Z3E

I have wanted to get a Brultech GEM for a while but the $600 price has always seemed a little steep for me.  Looked at some other options too like Sense and Neurio but they seem less reliable/accurate.

CURB:
18 Channels
CTs included
no thermal sensors

Brultech:
32 Channels
CTs sold separate (or in packages)
optional thermal sensors
ISY integration

If you or anyone is interested in seeing how the CURB Pro device works. I found there web site and downloaded their manuals. Quick, Full Users and APP Setup Manuals.

http://energycurb.com/

The manual indicates it uses a HomePlug Adapter to receive the data sent from the HUB. Over the power lines in the Breaker Box. The adapter has a network cable to an open port on your router. From what I have seen and used myself. HomePlug Networking uses frequencies that will not interfere with the Insteon 131.65KHz or  X10 120KHz power line communications. Like the TED Energy Monitoring systems do.

The manual shows the two CT adapters for the Main Breakers are 100 Amps. So if you have a higher power service. They may not work correctly.

Anyone taken a look at CURB Pro?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015IY0Z3E

I have wanted to get a Brultech GEM for a while but the $600 price has always seemed a little steep for me. Looked at some other options too like Sense and Neurio but they seem less reliable/accurate.

CURB:

18 Channels

CTs included

no thermal sensors

Brultech:

32 Channels

CTs sold separate (or in packages)

optional thermal sensors

ISY integration

Also, CURB is $400.

So, $400 for 18 channels ($22.22/channel) or $600 for 32 (18.75/channel)

It really depends how many channels you need. I have 30 in my panel, and with the two inputs I get the best cost efficiency using a Brultech.

Finally, don't undervalue ISY integration. There are all kinds of possibilities - I do fridge open monitoring and laundry complete notification for example.

Yes, and even at $400 it would be a difficult sell to the wife.  We are trying to buy a larger piece of property.  If that happens maybe the house we build there will include a GEM.  I think it would be amazing to see how much energy goes to various devices in the house.  Knowing how much might lead to doing crazy stuff like replacing windows.

That's cool that your sending notification about the fridge and laundry.. those type of things might actually help me sell the wife on getting a GEM. :)

Who knows perhaps UD might add a new energy module for CURB or add support with the current module to get some additional sales.

The manual indicates it uses a HomePlug Adapter to receive the data sent from the HUB. Over the power lines in the Breaker Box. The adapter has a network cable to an open port on your router. From what I have seen and used myself. HomePlug Networking uses frequencies that will not interfere with the Insteon 131.65KHz or  X10 120KHz power line communications. Like the TED Energy Monitoring systems do.

TED 5000 and TED Pro Home use 132Khz.   I've used both products, and while they interact poorly with X10, I don't have any issues with Insteon interference from the TED update packets, nor vice-versa.

TED Pro 400 uses an Ethernet connection instead of PLC, it's more of an industrial/commercial solution.

IMHO I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Brultech. I been using two GEMS and a Dashbox for over a year now and would buy them again without hesitation. They work great, they are very accurate, and support is amazing! Ben has helped me a couple times when I was first setting up my system and his responses back were almost instant. So while it maybe a bit more expensive, I will gladly pay due to the support. Not to mention the integration with the ISY directly built into it.

Archived