isy994i in safe mode

I just tried to connect to my isy994i at my house when I am on the road but it says it is starting in safe mode so it won't let me do any thermostat setting changes.  This happened a couple of months ago and didn't work until I returned home and restarted my PLM.  We had a power outage that happened then and we had another outage the other day too.  We have had 2 of them in the last year and just happened to be when I was gone.  I don't know what the problem could be?  Does anyone have any idea?  I can live without working with any of my lights or things but I really need to control my thermostat so I can lower the temp before I get home instead of having to wait and do it when I arrive at home. 

I may just get a new wifi so I don't go through that problem anymore.  I think a new honeywell one would work well. 

Use the Z-Wave version of the ISY software. It still works with Insteon, but won't go into safe mode when communications to the PLM is interrupted.

Also, is your thermostat Insteon or something else? How old is your PLM? If it's approaching (or passed) the two year mark it's likely failing and needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

So this is normal? Is it that I could use a new PLM?

If your PLM is around 2 years or older then yes, it likely needs to be replaced. The older revisions of PLMs used faulty capacitors that typically fail after around 2 years of operation. Supposedly the newest revision solves the problem (I think it's been out for about 4 months). If you're handy with a soldering iron, the caps can be replaced and your PLM restored to service

Is it normal?  No.  It's shoddy design, poor customer service, and a general ripoff by SmartHome.  But is it expected?  Yep.  Absolutely.  The only way to ensure you get more than 2 years out of a PLM is to ensure you never plug it into the wall.

Is it normal? No. It's shoddy design, poor customer service, and a general ripoff by SmartHome. But is it expected? Yep. Absolutely. The only way to ensure you get more than 2 years out of a PLM is to ensure you never plug it into the wall.

mwester isn't bitter at all :)

There's the problem, and that's why SmartHome hasn't had an incentive to really fix the PLM problem -- you have no alternatives if you are going to use Insteon devices.  You either need to buy a new PLM, or repair the one you have (there's an excellent thread on repairing the PLM on this forum, very useful)

Personally, I'm deeply invested in Insteon devices, so I'm stuck with the devices I have for years to come -- but all new devices and all replacements are Z-Wave (which requires only the z-wave module from UDI, no PLM).  Some Z-Wave devices are far superior to the Insteon equivalents, but to be honest, there's no good replacement for KeypadLincs (in my opinion), so that's a problem.

Edited to add: But before you jump to conclusions, do check the PLM you have.  It has a four-digit number on it (date code) - if you post it here, someone can decode it for you (I don't remember the details, to be honest).  It may be that it just failed to power up correctly for some unknown reason, and unplugging/replugging for the PLM and the ISY will keep it running for a while longer...

What's the difference between the 2413S and 2413U model PLM?

Same basic 2413 main board.

Different USB or Serial daughter board.

Different firmware. So when interrogated. Gives the correct Insteon Category and Subcategory ID for its model.

I got one of those, it's a rev2.2, not the latest one that's rev2.3.

When did you get it? When was rev 2.3 released?

When did you get it? When was rev 2.3 released?

The 2413S PLM Reviews on the Smarthome site.

Indicated a problem was identified by Smartlabs and 2.3 was to start shipping in Jan 2017.

I got mine sold by and shipped by Amazon.

Some of the Amazon Store Merchants may still have older stock PLM's.

Mine is also Date Code 4216 Firmware 9E

With the new ESD rated RS232 chip on the Serial Daughter Board.

Higher voltage rated C7 and C13 {100uF/50V}. Component glued to the PCB horizontally as they where too large to properly fit in the normal vertically position.

The one I am looking at says specifically that it is a 2.3 version.  If it isn't, I'll just send it back I guess. 

I got my isy994 to work again.  I just unplugged my PLM and isy and waited, then I plugged them back in and it worked.  Is that the problem with the PLM is that it won't reset itself? 

The PLM should be powered up first and allowed to initialize itself.

Then the ISY994i is powered up. That way when it starts up it can find the PLM.

If the PLM is not found. That can be a reason it goes into Safe Mode.

If the sticker on the back says Rev. 2.3. It should be a revision 2.3.

If they made more changes. It could be higher like 2.35

The date code on the sticker would give you a manufacture data.

You can use a UPS to power the PLM, but doing so means relying totally on RF which is less reliable than powerline communication.

Well, 2 short power outages in the last year.  Both when I was out of town.  Both resulting in the same thing where no communication with my isy.  The main reason why I needed the isy was for thermostat control to turn the thermostat down to cool it off before we got home.  It looks like I'll be switching thermostats and going to the Honeywell one so I can just use their app and not run into this problem again. 

Archived