Just a general comment

Ask away even if you are having only the slightest difficulty. Above all, reliability should not be a problem. Creating programs may be B)

Major problem right now is that most of my system is still x10, and the 2413s signal does not get to some of them.

Work around right now is to have the ISY/2413S issue 'dummy' commands and have the x10 cm15 translate them to the real x10 address.

Sort of a pain.

Bruce

I don't know what you mean by dummy commands. The ISY only allows programs to control X10 devices.

setting an x10 address for a device that is imaginary in the ISY, the ISY does not know it's not there so it sends the x10 command.

the x10 cm15 controller see's the command and issues the right command for the actual device.

What I am saying is that the 2413s does not put out a high enough signal to reach the X10 device. The X10 CM15 does reach the X10 Device.

Put another way, the X10 device does not hear the 2413s but it does hear the CM15.

Not all of my X10 devices can't hear the 2413s but some can't.

What I am saying is that the 2413s does not put out a high enough signal to reach the X10 device. The X10 CM15 does reach the X10 Device.

Put another way, the X10 device does not hear the 2413s but it does hear the CM15.

Not all of my X10 devices can't hear the 2413s but some can't.

Do you have the 2413S plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a power strip or UPS?

Do you have a x10 signal repeater installed, if so it can interfere with the PLM's signal

Although the ISY994 is a great machine, It is not perfect. From reading this forum about 4 hours a day for the last 2 weeks it seems that the solution to any problem is throw more devices/money at the problem. The X10 amplifier/repeater I use (XTB-IIR) does not attempt to repeat any Insteon signals by design. The 2413S is plugged in to the wall. UPS's have filters. XTBM meter measures x10 signals. The 2413s is weak.

I had a no problem reliable X10 system that ran unattended for a year or more between problems.

I went with the ISY994i ZW IR PRO to broaden the choice of devices I could use, and to be able to use the amazon echo with it. the ISY is a fine machine, but it has more quirks than AHP/X10 system, which has a batch. 

So that is your excuse for the ISY. What a bunch of elitist bs :-). My workaround works for my system and the 2 X10 devices that don't hear the 2413s. When the problem first occurred the cm15 and XTB-IIR were not installed, was attempting to do everything with the ISY.

I guess you just don't understand, but being ex AF it's understandable. (22 years USN electronics) :-)

Bruce,

A lot of us on the forum are prior X10 users who have transitioned over to Insteon and Zwave and understand your frustrations in moving over from one technology to another.

The 2413S is made by Smartlabs as are all the Insteon devices. Smartlabs is phasing out the X10 support which is a 1970s technology.

UDI, the maker of the ISY controller still supports X10 but is constrained by, and must use,  the Smartlabs 2413S modem. If you look at the current specs on the 2413S you'll notice there's no longer any mention of  X10 support.

The Insteon technology is a mesh network, all the devices communicate with one another and repeat the Insteon signals. The more Insteon devices you have the more reliable your system becomes. As you phase out X10 and replace them with Insteon the better it gets. It just takes a little time and patience. Hang in there.

I am surprised when you added the XTB-IIR. Two of the X10 modules still do not see an X10 signal.

Mine hits the whole house with a minimum of 1.2 X10 signal volts on my XTBM.

Do you know if the 2413S X10 commands are reaching the XTB-IIR and it is resending?

Do you know the X10 levels at the problem modules by chance?

I do know the 2413S X10 power line signals are lower than the X10 CM15A.

I have seen some signal information on the X10 Forums comparing controllers.

Insteon modules are all two way and the rare X10 two way modules also.. The transmitter circuit in them will absorb a portion of the Insteon and X10 signals. Some users have seen Insteon get better as more modules are added and X10 reliability decline.

If you don't have Jeff's great troubleshooting tutorials.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Apparently the XTB-IIR does not like the 2413S Rev 2.3 X10 Commands so it does not repeat them. XTBM thinks there is noise on the 2413S X10 only Commands.

After perusing my outlets and breaker spread sheet (This house didn't get electricity until the mid 50's I think, so it has a main with 2 sub panels I put in)

I found an outlet that seems to reach the whole house with the 2413S with no XTB-IIR being used.

I do have a 2413S rev 2.2 that I might try to see if works with the XTB-IIR.

I have Jeff's tutorials, and also Phil K's. (Been X10ing for many years).

Still will need the XTB-IIR for the V572RF to translate X10 RF to X10 PLC for HR12a's and MS13s & MS14s.

Can't afford to get to enthusiastic in replacing X10 with Insteon, will have to do it a little bit at a time.

Bruce

I have seen reports here of the later revision 2413S PLMs, not receiving X10 commands. It could be possible some don't transmit correctly.

I may have gotten lucky. My V2.3 has no issues triggering my XBT-IIR or receiving X10 messages.

My Insteon modules are the early ones and have X10 Primary Addresses in them. So my 16 Unit HR12A Palm Pad can still do individual devices. Though the ISY994i has no update for their status. I still have some Chime Modules also in use.

I probably communicated with you over on the X10 Forums as you are a long time X10 user and I am one of their Community Organizers.

Archived