Scene set from devices vs scenes set through ISY

KSaccullo

Are there any advantages (network traffic, response time, etc) of creating a scene between two devices directly vs creating a scene using the ISY interface?

Specifically: Create a cross link (*1) between a keypad dimmer (2334-222) with a wall dimmer (2477D) using just the set buttons of each device. Both devices see each other and control the light connected to the wall dimmer as expected. The status LED on each device correctly reflects the current status of the light, regardless of which device was used. The only problem is the ISY does not seem to be aware the two devices are linked.

If I create a scene in the ISY, then make both the keypad and wall dimmer each a controller in that scene that also works as detailed above with one exception. The ISY now knows (*2).

If this topic has already been discussed, my apologies. I probably searched incorrectly. Please point me to the relevant link.

(*1) cross link to avoid the whole (pun intended) half link discussion and get the LED status correct.

(*2) ISY scenes are recognized as being able to control program flow and I use. I want to keep the question focused mainly on resource utilization and response time.

The ISY has a limit in the amount of links it can handle. By creating the links manually, no ISY links are used. But if you ever need to do maintenance such as Write Updates or Restore or replace a device, you will need to manually recreate the links.

Also, you won't be able to control the scene via the ISY, only one device at a time. You could not use the scene in a program, if you add (or have) the portal, again, only one of the two devices can be controlled at a time.

There is no difference in response time. The ISY creates the exact scene as you did manually with the exception that the ISY is aware of the scene. Once you use the ISY to create the scene you can remove the ISY and the scene will still function.

There is no effective difference in terms of response time, or resource utilization.  The Insteon devices don't care or know if it's an ISY that set up the links, or not.

Your observations regarding the limitations of manually setting the scene up are correct (although not complete).  The difference is, primarily, that when the ISY sets up a scene, it ensures that the PLM is a responder to the scene, and adds another scene (in the Insteon sense) where the PLM is the controller and the two other devices are the responders.  This allows the ISY to both be aware of the status of the scene and be able to control the scene.

There are lot of opinions about setting up links outside the view of the ISY -- but one thing that is certain is that should you do so, you have entered the "ultra-high-maintenance mode" for home automation.  There is little you can do on the ISY without considering the potential for impact on your manual links, including certain recovery operations such as restoring devices.

Archived