Weather Bug - What data is available?

CJVann

Bob,

This morning your system was showing 0.07 inches of rain. Right now it is still showing 0.07 inches even though it has been raining strongly all day. Wasn't it raining in EDH today?

mike

Yeah, it was raining. I accidentally stopped my program. I've been trying to get monthly & yearly rain values working and failed to restart the program after making a small change before I left for the day. So totally my fault. Looks like we had about .71 in. total.

No problem, just curious.

mike

I've been out of town for this last bit of rain, but it looks like everything worked, the monthly total seemed to increase by the right amount.

I do have an annoying issue with my program crashing after 4-8 days which makes it hard to track down. I need to put some additional effort into getting that fixed.

The numbers I see track well with what actually happened, last Saturday the Rain Today was a little over 2" by 9pm and quite naturally, yesterday's Irrigation Requirement was 0.

That does point up a problem with the calculation though, today's Irrigation Requirement is 0.0461" even though soil moisture is not even measurable and the consistency of the soil is suitable for making mud pies. Since we are supposed to have rain steadily for the next several days the Irrigation Requirement number should get back to 0 and stay there until the rain stops.

I have my irrigation programs disabled and they are going to stay disabled until my handheld soil moisture tester says it is time for water. At that point, whatever my Irrigation Requirement number is will become the new baseline and only when the daily Irrigation Requirement rises above that baseline will water actually be applied. Then I'll wait for the next rain and watch to see if my programs handle it properly.

mike

• 3 months later...
Michel,

Is WeatherBug still in use? My system had been running fine until Tuesday July 1, when everything stopped.

No, you need to upgrade to the latest ISY firmware and re-configure the weather module. The ISY now uses HAMWeather instead of Weatherbug

Bob,

Is your program running?

mike

Yes, but it's no longer accessible. HAMWeather is getting personal station info via NOAA <- CWOP link and while I send data to CWOP I haven't been able to get registered with NOAA to get the data flowing. HAMWeather is adding another path in a few weeks and then my station should be accessible again.

Thanks Bob,

I received the May 15 email notification from UDI Support about Weatherbug ceasing to be available on June 1 but nothing further and Weatherbug continued until July 1. I also haven't seen anything about an official version newer than 4.0. I'll check again in case I missed something.

mike

JMC, once you update to the latest fw you may have more optional stations to choose from as I did. I live in a small town and there was a personal weather station available to me within a 1/2 mile away.

Bob, thanks for your help and suggestions. I ordered a 0105C from Acurite and was able to find a discount coupon online which gave an addition % off the entire order on top of the sale price and free shipping. Total cost was like $105. I decided to go with Meteobridge software and ordered the TP-Link they recommended. I have had the system up and running and supplying data to weatherbug, wunderground, pws for me and a couple of others now for over a week without issues. Currently I too am waiting for NOAA registration to go thru.

Thanks,

Tim

I did the update and I like HAM much better than WB so far. I found a weather cite about a mile from me and it seems to work very well and delivers light level that appears accurate to boot.

mike

Archived