Another PLM Restore Fail

jgcharlotte

Ok, so before I continue. . . I plugged in the new PLM, waited 20 secs or so, plugged in the ISY, started the console.

It is now going out to try and communicate with each device, which of course it can't (so it displays the error box), should I let it complete that process or interrupt it to do Restore PLM?

Ok, so before I continue. . . I plugged in the new PLM, waited 20 secs or so, plugged in the ISY, started the console.

It is now going out to try and communicate with each device, which of course it can't (so it displays the error box), should I let it complete that process or interrupt it to do Restore PLM?

Follow the instructions below. It sounds like the ISY is trying to query each device. I would stop the query and go to replace PLM

Replace Modem (PLM)

This operation is most useful when you need to replace a defective PLM and the ISY is rebooted with a new PLM. When the communication links were established via the Link Management Menu, the PLM and INSTEON devices adds each device addresses it is linked to, in its own link table.

The ISY also reads and stores the PLM’s address at boot up. The ISY stores all the configurations settings of the lighting network. If you are replacing a PLM the ISY will have the old PLM address link stored in it.

Warning: Never replace your PLM while the ISY is running because it will assume it is still connected with the old PLM. The ISY will appear to work, but it will be writing the address of the old PLM into the device links, thus you will not see devices updates etc.

If this menu option is selected, the ISY goes through all INSTEON devices looking for old and new PLM address links. If an old PLM address link is found, it replaces them with the address of the new PLM and adds the corresponding device link to the new PLM.

To replace a PLM:

• Unplug ISY from the power outlet

• Unplug the PLM from ISY and power outlet

• Connect ISY’s port A to the new PLM

• Plug the new PLM into a power outlet

• Plug ISY into a power outlet

• Go to Admin Console and wait for system initialization to complete o If you have PRO Series, click on the Battery icon at the top. This will prevent ISY from trying to update programming on your RF devices which are probably in sleep mode

• Click on the Restore Modem (PLM) menu option o In case ISY cannot communicate (or decides not to if an RF device/PRO Series) during the process, you will have a series of nodes with green 1011 icons in the device tree. For each one of those nodes:  If an RF device, ensure that the device is in Programming mode

 Right mouse click | Write pending updates ...

You can uncheck the "query at startup" box on the config page and restart.

I don't see a whole lot of difference from my first replacement modem.  During restore it tries to write to device, fails and displays red exclamation.

So I guess I'm sitting here with thousands of dollars worth of Insteon junk that I can't get working again.  What a waste.

A lot of my single band (radio) stuff is getting through for some reason. O/C, MS.  It doesn't bypass the PLM does it?    Doesn't the signal get picked up by a dual-band device or access point, then go to the ISY through the PLM?

So I've asked this before. . . . does anybody know what a platform error is?

ZW008 is a Multi-Level Sensor 6.  It happens to be the first item in my device list.

The controller is trying to communicate with the battery operated device. Since battery operated devices go to sleep to conserve power you need to wake it up like any other battery device by pressing the set button. 

A lot of my single band (radio) stuff is getting through for some reason. O/C, MS.  It doesn't bypass the PLM does it?    Doesn't the signal get picked up by a dual-band device or access point, then go to the ISY through the PLM?

If the stress vs reward outcome is too high for you which is dictated by the amount of hair on your head. If you don't have a large Insteon network its sometimes easier to start from scratch.

By this I mean deleting the hardware from the ISY Series Controller. Followed by hard resetting all of the hardware which is outlined by the full users manual. Then, adding back each of the individual pieces until complete.

On the surface this seems like a lot of work (It is) but the time to live is more productive and works.

I'm now wondering if we've all been chasing the wrong "fix" here.

Perhaps the real issue is that there is (suddenly, for as-yet-unknown reasons) a massive noise-creator and/or signal-sucker on the powerline.  How about we pull back, and establish if we can get that ISY/PLM combination talking to a single selected insteon device, with all the other breakers in the house turned off?

I've had a case where a normal-appearing LED bulb would cause a switchlinc to go completely deaf -- perhaps the O.P. has had a similar switching-power-supply failure in something on or near the same electrical circuit on which the PLM is located.

I'm now wondering if we've all been chasing the wrong "fix" here.

Perhaps the real issue is that there is (suddenly, for as-yet-unknown reasons) a massive noise-creator and/or signal-sucker on the powerline.  How about we pull back, and establish if we can get that ISY/PLM combination talking to a single selected insteon device, with all the other breakers in the house turned off?

I've had a case where a normal-appearing LED bulb would cause a switchlinc to go completely deaf -- perhaps the O.P. has had a similar switching-power-supply failure in something on or near the same electrical circuit on which the PLM is located.

Agreed . . .

The reason I don't think it's massive noise is that mini-remotes that are in scenes control those lights fine.  Massive line noise interference would degrade the RF performance, wouldn't it?  I've never really been clear how RF and PL work together when one is not working properly.

If the stress vs reward outcome is too high for you which is dictated by the amount of hair on your head. If you don't have a large Insteon network its sometimes easier to start from scratch.

By this I mean deleting the hardware from the ISY Series Controller. Followed by hard resetting all of the hardware which is outlined by the full users manual. Then, adding back each of the individual pieces until complete.

On the surface this seems like a lot of work (It is) but the time to live is more productive and works.

Ugh. . .  I may do that.

If someone could do me a favor and tell me exactly what is supposed to happen - what will I see on the console - when I click on Restore Modem.  I've never done one before so I don't know.

I unplug the PLM

I unplug the ISY

I plug in the PLM

Wait 10 seconds

I plug in the ISY

Wait a couple of minutes

Start the console

Turn off the battery devices

Click on Restore Modem

Then what should I see????

Thanks!

The reason I don't think it's massive noise is that mini-remotes that are in scenes control those lights fine.  Massive line noise interference would degrade the RF performance, wouldn't it?  I've never really been clear how RF and PL work together when one is not working properly.

Its all relative to the type of noise present and whether its a noise maker vs signal sucker. There are more signal suckers in a normal home then noise makers. This is because almost all consumer products made in good standing must adhere to the maxim RFI, EMI, output as defined by UL, cUL, FCC, etc. 

If someone could do me a favor and tell me exactly what is supposed to happen - what will I see on the console - when I click on Restore Modem.  I've never done one before so I don't know.

I unplug the PLM

I unplug the ISY

I plug in the PLM

Wait 10 seconds

I plug in the ISY

Wait a couple of minutes

Start the console

Turn off the battery devices

Click on Restore Modem

Then what should I see????

Thanks!

The system will pop up a window showing you the restore process which (IF) its working can take many hours.

Certain types of noise on the powerline can cause an Insteon device to go deaf on the RF - but it's never been totally quantified, and anecdotal evidence suggests many cases where the RF gets through fine while the powerline doesn't.  But regardless, if the noise source is only affecting the outlet or circuit on which the PLM is located, then you'd have exactly the symptoms you describe -- and it wouldn't be unexpected for the devices themselves to continue to work just fine without the PLM.

As MWester metions, the problems you are describing does sound like the PLM is not communicating with your devices rather than a problem with ISY restore.

Try moving your ISY/PLM combo to a different circuit in your home and see if things go better.  Perhaps your old PLM isn't even bad but rather you have something in your house (or in particular on the plm circuit) that is messing things up.

Yes, did that on the first replacement, not this one.  Going to put the PLM on a long extension to a different outlet as Michel and others have suggested.

Unfortunately, my original PLM is on its way back to SmartHome, probably just as well since it was almost 2 years old, but now I HAVE to restore a new one, even if it is just noise.

Archived