2477D green led blink

apostolakisl

I have noticed this out of the corner of my a couple times.  Some of my new 2477D switches will blink the led green.  I have no idea why.  I have also noticed occasionally the white led will blink.  This is with it sitting idle.  I do not have it set to blink on traffic.  Anyone kmow what is up with this?

I seem to have found it.

"The Wall Switch LED will blink red once if one or more responders do not acknowledge a message and will blink green once if all responders successfully acknowledge a message. By default, this feature is enabled"

Except almost always neither red nor green blinks.  So I don't know what that means.  I suppose the "no led" option in ISY shuts this feature off?  I notice the new switches also have an option to beep on button press which ISY doesn't appear to support control over.

Keypadlincs and switchlincs have been doing this for a couple of years.

I've found one use for it, especially on keypadlincs. If there is a scene where a red flash is commonly or always the response, you can tweak and push scene retries to the switch... right click on the switch/keypad, Advanced, PLM Communications (older switches don't support it and there is a message for that). Tweak the retries up just enough to solve the problem. Despite being a called PLM communications, I've made tweaks that make the red go away between a keypad keys and lights. Granted, there will be a delay when try #1 doesn't go through.

Ideally I should solve this kind of thing by adding dual band and/or addressing line noise, but in some cases that is surgery to implement. I have one case where maybe a few times a year I caught it blinking red, the switch and the inlinelinc are on the far ends of 2 long circuits.. and a low voltage transformer is the load. The tweaking only took a few minutes and I can live an occasional pause and this was an easy fix.

Paul

Keypadlincs and switchlincs have been doing this for a couple of years.

I've found one use for it, especially on keypadlincs. If there is a scene where a red flash is commonly or always the response, you can tweak and push scene retries to the switch... right click on the switch/keypad, Advanced, PLM Communications (older switches don't support it and there is a message for that). Tweak the retries up just enough to solve the problem. Despite being a called PLM communications, I've made tweaks that make the red go away between a keypad keys and lights. Granted, there will be a delay when try #1 doesn't go through.

Ideally I should solve this kind of thing by adding dual band and/or addressing line noise, but in some cases that is surgery to implement. I have one case where maybe a few times a year I caught it blinking red, the switch and the inlinelinc are on the far ends of 2 long circuits.. and a low voltage transformer is the load. The tweaking only took a few minutes and I can live an occasional pause and this was an easy fix.

Paul

Interesting.. Unfortunately not all Insteon devices accept the PLM Advanced stuffs like the FAN Link for example...

I'm still vague on when and why it decides to blink green.  I haven't seen a red, so I suppose that is good.  But why do a randomly and rarely get a green?  From the description, it would seem that you should always get a green or red unless you disable it.

In my personal experience it comes down to hardware, firmware, and COM issues. In early 2016 I slowly migrated my entire single band Insteon network to dual band. I have one specific (SB) relay switch which operates just fine in all manner. From local direct control, scenes, and programs. Yet when I press a KPL switch that controls this same relay it always reports back a red LED.

Yet it controls it just fine . . .

Looking at the level three logs indicate its used up the 3 retries so gather this is reported back as a fail to communicate or other. One day I'll replace that single band relay switch in the front entrance when it dies. But for now it operates just fine and don't pay much mind to the red vs green in the system unless there are real wolrd issues. 

In my personal experience it comes down to hardware, firmware, and COM issues. In early 2016 I slowly migrated my entire single band Insteon network to dual band. I have one specific (SB) relay switch which operates just fine in all manner. From local direct control, scenes, and programs. Yet when I press a KPL switch that controls this same relay it always reports back a red LED.

Yet it controls it just fine . . .

Looking at the level three logs indicate its used up the 3 retries so gather this is reported back as a fail to communicate or other. One day I'll replace that single band relay switch in the front entrance when it dies. But for now it operates just fine and don't pay much mind to the red vs green in the system unless there are real wolrd issues. 

Still, why no green or red?  Either it worked or didn't work (in the mind of the switch), yet I get no green/red at all, then randomly a green led.  ???  According to the manual, the feature is by default enabled.  I have replaced about 20 of my switches with these new ones and none of them give me the colored leds, except every here and there I get a green.

Still, why no green or red?  Either it worked or didn't work (in the mind of the switch), yet I get no green/red at all, then randomly a green led.  ???  According to the manual, the feature is by default enabled.  I have replaced about 20 of my switches with these new ones and none of them give me the colored leds, except every here and there I get a green.

Hard to say but in my home the red vs green LED always works and indicates a pass vs fail condition. I would bring up the lever 3 error logs and monitor what happens when you press the switch in question and provide the output here for review.

Archived