Scene

seanmbrady

I have the insteon open/close sensor and it's currently paired with an insteon dimmer module when the door opens the light turns on and when the door closes the light turns off. But what I'd like is to only activate that action during a specific time instead of all day. The standard insteon hub won't allow me to set it up like this. Will that type of scene be possible with the ISY994i?

You cannot schedule a scene for the Open/Close sensor. You'll have to use a program. Also, use Status instead of Control to trigger the scene. That way Then will turn the dimmer On and Else will turn the dimmer Off.

Hi Sean, welcome to the UDI forums!

You'd actually not use a scene. Scenes are fast, but dumb.. no logic other than devices linking to each other

The ISY analogue to a Hub schedule is a program:

if status sensor is on

and from 7:00pm

for 6 hours

set light on

else

set light off

Delete the scene, it works all the time

Paul

You do not have to have both, but there advantages to both. Advantages of the Hub

• It works with Apple Homekit, ISY does not
  • Insteon does not always release their new device info to companies like UDI who makes the ISY. Example.. the new Motion Sensor can be configured by the Hub, but not the ISY (yet)

I found it very difficult, however, to keep the same device defined in both the ISY and Hub. Homekit doesn't matter to me and I've been buying out the old motion sensors from Menards. I eventually got rid of the Hub

I would say keep it for now, but plan on migrating your Insteon devices and schedules (by create programs like above), a few at a time as you get comfortable with the ISY. The ISY can do so much more than hub. Eventually you can decide to get rid of it when you're ready.

Paul

I use the Hub to set parameters for Insteon devices that the ISY cannot (there are only very few). After adding the device to the ISY, I delete it from the Hub.

If you are growing your system in your home, its probably worth getting the ZW... it gives you more flexibility to add zwave devices.. many more types than Insteon, especially sensors.  As an alternative.. you can buy the Zwave card from UDI later and install it.

Ether way, I would say get Insteon working/migrated first before adding zwave devices.

Paul

Should I spend the higher price for the ZW/IR PRO controller or would I be ok with the lower priced insteon support ISY controller?

That depends entirely on your needs and what you want to accomplish. In any case, you can always upgrade your ISY as the need occurs. I started with the Pro and later added the Z-Wave module. I didn't add the IR capability until  found a need for it.

I got into it because I'm in a wheelchair and it makes life a little easier. Once insteon/Smarthome sent me an echo dot and a few other things to help my daily life I was completely hooked... it's all downhill from here!!

Good to hear that its helping. My wife has a chronic illness that's not improving. HA provides a number of small conveniences that add up for sure. 

Archived