Micro On/Off - Convert 3way to Single Pole

shergenr

I have read the various topics regarding the use of micro on/off switches in 3way circuits. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to eliminate the 3way switches and replace with a single pole toggle.  The two switches are located next to two doors, one of which we no longer use and plan to brick over eventually.  I want to place the new single pole switch in box 1 and place the micro switch in box 2 (removing the old 3way switch and replacing it with a blank).  The reason for installing the micro switch in box 2 is tthat I don't have room in box 1 as I have already deployed another MS in that box on another switch.   My question is, is this doable and is it a dangerous construct?  

As I understand the wiring, Switch 1 has line, neutral, and two travelers running to Switch/Box 2.  Switch 2 has load, neutral and travelers.  The plan is to replace Switch 1 with a single pole and use the travelers to connect to various inputs on the micro switch that will be in Switch/Box 2 (Line and Sense 1). Remove switch 2, and replace with micro switch and blank.  Connect load and neutral from Switch/Box 2 to micro on/off. 

So, I was thinking that I would connect line to single pole pushIn terminal.  Connect one of travelers to the line (nut) to feed the microswitch in box2.  Connect the other traveler to the load side of single pole, to connect to Sense 1 wire of micro switch in box 2.  Connect the neutral from box 2 to micro switch, connect load out in box 2  to micro switch.  Theoretically this should work, correct?  Will the sense wire be able to sense the switch status over a 20 ft cable?  I'm thinking this is similar to placing the microswitch at the fixture.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have read the various topics regarding the use of micro on/off switches in 3way circuits. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to eliminate the 3way switches and replace with a single pole toggle. The two switches are located next to two doors, one of which we no longer use and plan to brick over eventually. I want to place the new single pole switch in box 1 and place the micro switch in box 2 (removing the old 3way switch and replacing it with a blank). The reason for installing the micro switch in box 2 is tthat I don't have room in box 1 as I have already deployed another MS in that box on another switch. My question is, is this doable and is it a dangerous construct?

As I understand the wiring, Switch 1 has line, neutral, and two travelers running to Switch/Box 2. Switch 2 has load, neutral and travelers. The plan is to replace Switch 1 with a single pole and use the travelers to connect to various inputs on the micro switch that will be in Switch/Box 2 (Line and Sense 1). Remove switch 2, and replace with micro switch and blank. Connect load and neutral from Switch/Box 2 to micro on/off.

So, I was thinking that I would connect line to single pole pushIn terminal. Connect one of travelers to the line (nut) to feed the microswitch in box2. Connect the other traveler to the load side of single pole, to connect to Sense 1 wire of micro switch in box 2. Connect the neutral from box 2 to micro switch, connect load out in box 2 to micro switch. Theoretically this should work, correct? Will the sense wire be able to sense the switch status over a 20 ft cable? I'm thinking this is similar to placing the microswitch at the fixture.

Thanks in advance for your help.

First, find which of the two switches house the hot wire from the circuit breaker.

Then you need to find which switch supplies power to the light.

If it's NOT the switch you want to remove, it will be easy.

If the switch you want to remove had either the hot or power to the light, you cannot remove access the box, or rightfully cover over the box.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

First, find which of the two switches house the hot wire from the circuit breaker.

Then you need to find which switch supplies power to the light.

If it's NOT the switch you want to remove, it will be easy.

If the switch you want to remove had either the hot or power to the light, you cannot remove access the box, or rightfully cover over the box.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gary,  thanks for the response.  Sorry that I added the "brick over" comment because it was really irrelevant to the situation other than to say, I don't need to control the light from that door any longer.  Both boxes are double gang with two switches controlling different fixtures, so I won't be "covering" either - they will be active/accessible boxes when done.  Box 1 doesn't have enough room for a second micro switch.  

Am not sure that I understand your comment "If it's not the switch you want to remove, it will be easy."

Current wiring scheme:

Box 1 - Houses 3 way switch on the circuit.  My review of the wiring indicates, hot in,  2 travellers to second switch.    This is the switch that I want to replace with a single pole.

Box 2 - Houses a 3 way switch on this circuit.  Review of wiring indicates that:  hot load out, 2 travelers  to Box 1 and neutral available.  I want to remove this switch and replace it with the micro switch. 

Rewire:

1)  Replace 3way switch with single pole switch in Box 1

a)  Hot In to single pole

B)  Use traveler to supply Box 2 with hot in which gets connected to line in on micro switch....

c)  Use second traveler to connect load side of new single pole to Sense 1 wire in micro switch in box 2

2) Replace/remove 3way switch with micro switch in Box 2

a)  Hot Traveler from Box 1 to Line on microswitch

B)  Traveler 2 from Box 1 (non power pole) to Sense 1 on micro switch

c)   Load Out to fixture, connects to load on micro switch...

d)   Neutral in Box 2, pig tail to Neutral on micro switch.

This should work correct?  And is not a risky setup since access to the box 2 will still exist.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived