Manually editing ISY and device links

jtmoderate876

Folks,

Is there really NO easy way to edit device links manually form isy?

I'm guessing that is the case since searching these forums doesn't lead to an an example.

I have both a HUB 2014 (2245-222) and a new ISY with 2413S.

I don't want to get rid of my HUB since I like how it works with Alexa and a couple other things.

I also have some directly linked devices that I would prefer to keep linked but may give on this point.

I am regularly running into the need to just edit the link database for a device but can't.

ISY manages links automatically - there is no need to manually mess with them. If something gets out of sync simply ‘restore’ the device.

Insteon is not designed for multiple controllers like an ISY and a Hub. If you choose to try to integrate the two in one system you really are entering an unsupportable area. It’s I’ll-advised in my opinion.

For what it's worth, I too was using both an ISY and an Insteon Hub, using the Hub only for Alexa integration. I started having issues trying to keep things working together nicely and getting more and more red LED 'blinkys' on various switches. One reason I didn't switch from the Hub to the ISY is I am cheap and didn't want to spend $50 for 2 years of such service with the ISY Portal.

I just recently pried the money from my wallet, bought the ISY Portal and went through the trouble of ridding myself of the Hub and I am most pleased! With the ISY Portal, you can add multiple "spokens" for a device, scenes and/or programs and I have to admit responses or wait times to lights on/off is much quicker. I was able to get rid of several ISY programs as well! I was worried about messing stuff up during the move from the Hub to the ISY but I didn't mess anything up. Learned a bunch too. It did take some time though.

I, (my wife as well, I think), like Alexa enabled stuff and I would recommend that you reconsider keeping both and move over to the ISY. Using just the ISY is simply easier. I use on my Android smartphone the ISY Java dashboard via the web browser which is free dollars! It's kind of rough to view and use on a phone so I may pry some more money out of my pocket for one of the better Android apps to remotely control my stuff.

But I have learned that some things are worth the money!

My apologies for hijacking your thread and my long winded post.

Lastly, all my "links" are done with scenes whereby you can easily link devices to control each other etc, if that is the kind of link you were speaking of.

John

Folks,

I'm guessing that is the case since searching these forums doesn't lead to an an example.

I don't want to get rid of my HUB since I like how it works with Alexa and a couple other things.

I also have some directly linked devices that I would prefer to keep linked but may give on this point.

I am regularly running into the need to just edit the link database for a device but can't.

From personal experience unless the Insteon devices are isolated from one another you're setting yourself for total failure.

I run four isolated Insteon networks at home. One is for Alpha / Beta testing. The other three are used for various production use. There are four ISY Series Controllers and three Hub II's.

None of this would be possible using a cross over network. At some point one of the controllers will crawl the network and those links will get deleted, modified, or have half links.

This can result in delays to comm errors in scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is NO easy way to manage both the Hub and the ISY for the same devices. That's even true for multiple ISYs. For the most part, changes made by one may not be recognized by the other. It is possible to maintain both, I do, But you must be diligent. Again, it can be done, but it's not easy B)

Very sincere thanks for all of your the guidance and expertise.

I also did not find an easy path to MQTT with ISY. I'm not saying it isn't possible, it is just not well vetted today.

I am stilll within the return period and have decided to go that route and not to further invest

In my Insteon.

Again, thanks.

Folks,

Very sincere thanks for all of your the guidance and expertise.

I also did not find an easy path to MQTT with ISY. I'm not saying it isn't possible, it is just not well vetted today.

I am stilll within the return period and have decided to go that route and not to further invest

In my Insteon.

Again, thanks.

It's interesting this is all the fault of the ISY! 

I wonder why you didn't say "Is there really NO easy way to edit device links manually from Insteaon Hub?"

The problem that you are encountering is there is no concept for multiple controllers/hubs in an Insteon system.  It has nothing to do with the fact there is no easy way to manually edit links. 

There are many threads on this very topic in this forum.  The ISY also works well with Alexa.  The problem is not that you can't manually edit links using an ISY, the problem is that you don't want to learn how to migrate properly from one controller to another.

MrBill: I don't blame ISY or UDI for anything.

I'm just done spending on Insteon and I blame myself for where I am.

Stusviews: again not "isy's fault".

I need MQTT to continue the integration already have with all kinds of other device and services like online logging, charting, REST client and server, Ecobee, Rainforest, Chamberlain, some backwater devices, etc.

ISY couldn't bend Insteon into exactly what I want but most people won't need or want my (very custom) criteria.

The best manual linking software I've seen is Mark Sandler's Insteon plugin for homeseer. Very granular management of the insteon network. It also uses a serial IP like interface to utilize the hub (local api) as the PLM. If you're savvy with .net development, that's a possibility. I don't know if HS tackled MQTT, that would have to be explored on HS forum. 

I found the ISY an easier path to fast, stable automation of functions, so its about tradeoffs. 

Paul

Archived