2413-s PLM Cat5 cable Length

shergenr

Quick question.  In reading the installation instructions for the 2413s PLM they advise that you don't use a serial cable longer than X inches/feet.

1)  Since we aren't really using the serial cable but a cat5 cable, is there still a length restriction? 

2)  Can I use any standard cat5 cable or do I have to use something with a crossover? 

3)  In terms of placement for  the ISY994i :  is there any reason I shouldn't place the ISY in a cabinet out of sight?  The PLM does all the communicating correct? 

4)  Can the PLM be plugged into a two prong (no ground) extension cord with a 3-2 adapter  or is that problematic? 

As always, I appreciate your help and advice.

Quick question.  In reading the installation instructions for the 2413s PLM they advise that you don't use a serial cable longer than X inches/feet.

1)  Since we aren't really using the serial cable but a cat5 cable, is there still a length restriction? <-10~15 feet is OK, exceeding 50 feet may pose COMM issues.

2)  Can I use any standard cat5 cable or do I have to use something with a crossover? <- Standard CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7 is fine

3)  In terms of placement for  the ISY994i :  is there any reason I shouldn't place the ISY in a cabinet out of sight?  The PLM does all the communicating correct? <- Only if you plan on using the IR capability assuming it came with it. Otherwise you're fine to place it anywhere unless it has a Z-Wave / ZigBee antenna.

4)  Can the PLM be plugged into a two prong (no ground) extension cord with a 3-2 adapter  or is that problematic? <- As long as its not plugged into a UPS or other electronic signal sucker / noise maker circuit you're fine. Ideally it should be plugged into its own dedicated outlet close to the electrical panel.

As always, I appreciate your help and advice.

In-Line . . .

In terms of your response to question 4, it's an interesting idea.  I am preparing to install a phase bridge at the panel this weekend, I could easily create a dedicated circuit.  However, the panel is in my carport on the extreme side of the house inside a tool closet.   Most of my devices are installed indoors (micro switches). This would render the insteon radio mesh capability of the PLM useless would it not?    

In terms of your response to question 4, it's an interesting idea.  I am preparing to install a phase bridge at the panel this weekend, I could easily create a dedicated circuit.  However, the panel is in my carport on the extreme side of the house inside a tool closet.   Most of my devices are installed indoors (micro switches). This would render the insteon radio mesh capability of the PLM useless would it not?    

If you're installing a phase bridge you can leave the 2413S PLM indoors which is ideal for operating temperatures. But the 2413S PLM should never be attached to a branch circuit that has computers, UPS, chargers, etc.

1. The Serial Signal is RS232 not a network type of signaling. Even though it is a CAT style network cable. So RS232 limitations apply. Some users here have extended them. Maybe they can provide a distance for you.

Two of the pins are also a TTL level Input and Output. Along with the RS232 ones.

4. The 2413S PLM is a two prong connection. Plugging it in to a three prong extension cord. May not need an adapter.

If you where using an old 2412S with a three prong plug. The adapter would be fine as the Ground is not used by the PLM. Just the pass through outlet on the front.

I have a PLM on a 20 foot cat6 wire I made myself and it works fine.  This is not my home unit but rather one I installed at my church.

I would try to put your plm in an area where the radio has direct access to a good number of devices.  Certainly Insteon protocol theoretically does not need that, but . ... well, just saying.

I would say keeping the PLM radio in range of lots of devices is more important than trying to give it its own dedicated circuit.  Noise and suckers dosn't get fixed by circuit breakers, it goes right through them.  Certainly distance (feet of wire, not physical distance) from a noise or sucker is important.  Better yet, you filter those things.

Myself, I have my PLM plugged into the same circuit as my main rack of computer stuff.  I put a filterlinc on the main power to all that.  It is nice having the PLM/ISY in the same closet as all that other stuff.

Some engineering related sites.

Say 50 feet for the Baud Rate of 19,200 that the PLM uses. Between the PLM and the ISY994i.

Since there are also TTL Level signals on the cable. The length maybe shorted. Depending on external noise.

There's only recommended cable length. Actual cable length will vary greatly from the recommendation. In any case, better quality cable length or even a higher rated cable (e.g., using Cat 6 where on Cat 5 is required) will increase actual length for good communication/

Archived