Is the garage door open??

rmazzaro

I grabbed an Insteon 2421 Open/Close sensor with hopes of using it to help me be sure the garage door is closed at the end of every day.  I created two programs that would check at 10:30 and 11:00 PM and if the door is open, send an email to me.  The result is I get an email regardless of the state of the door. I've tried the reverse...if the Door is Open then email me....   Help....  

Garage Door Check 10:30 - [iD 0026][Parent 0024]

If
        Time is 10:30:00PM
    And Status  'Outdoor Garage Door-Closed' is On

Then
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Else
        Send DoorOpenNotification to 'Dad'

I grabbed an Insteon 2421 Open/Close sensor with hopes of using it to help me be sure the garage door is closed at the end of every day.  I created two programs that would check at 10:30 and 11:00 PM and if the door is open, send an email to me.  The result is I get an email regardless of the state of the door. I've tried the reverse...if the Door is Open then email me....   Help....  

Garage Door Check 10:30 - [iD 0026][Parent 0024]

If

Then

Else

Here's the program you need.

If
        Time is 10:30:00 PM
     or Time is 11:00 PM

Then

Else
       (leave blank)

The Else branch is hardly ever usable in ISY programming. Your original program is a case in point. This program is going to be triggered 1) at 10:30 PM and 2) every time the status of "Outdoor Garage Door-Closed" changes. So if the garage door is opened or closed at any time other than exactly 10:30:00.0000 PM, you are going to get a message (in addition to getting the message at 10:30 PM if the garage is open).

You want something like Techman suggested with the message sent in the Then branch, except "And Status 'Outdoor Garage Door-Closed' is Off".

Thanks everyone.  This got it working.

Teken - I did need to change it to "control".  

Techman, I used your program with control added and it worked perfectly!  

Thanks again everyone...

Control will trigger the program if the door is OPENED at 10:30 or 11:00

Status will trigger the program if the door is OPEN at 10:30 or 11:00

As a trigger, Control sends a signal each time the I/O Linc sends a signal, even if the signal is the same. Status will send a signal only if the state of the device changes. For most devices (not the I/O Linc), Control requires that the device itself (e.g., SwitchLinc, KeypadlLnc) sends the signal. Status changes can be initiated remotely (e.g., scene, program) or manually.

Yes, I am equally confused that "If 'Outdoor Garage Door-Closed' is switched Off" works and "If 'Outdoor Garage Door-Closed' Status is Off" doesn't. That doesn't make any sense.

I agree. This doesn't sound possible.

Program logic is only evaluated when a logic element is changed. Control /Swicthed detection is only ever True while that signal is live. No other signal event can ever true at the same time Time triggers use the same logic as above. Time frames from-to are different and true between the two times.

In this logic

If

....control device1 is switched on

AND

...control device2 is switched on

can never be logically true since ISY cannot evaluate two "control/switched" signals at one time.

Timed event logic lines act the same. Status should be required with an AND and another control/switched signal to ever become True.

Perhaps mazzaro can post his successful program? Right click on the program icon/copy to clipboard. Then paste into the <> initiated symbol text box that pops up.

Well, I jumped the gun when I said iit worked.  It did when I performed some quick tests but not when I put it into production.  I didn't get an alert at the first time check, but did for the second time check even though the door was closed.  Tonight, I broke it into two different programs (same program with two different times).  It seemed to work....but I feel like I'm back to where I started.  I've gone back to "status" instead of "control" based on what others said....but I'm using the "Then" to trigger....not the "Else"...

Here's one of the two programs - I'll report back if this appears to be working regularly.

If

And Status  'Outdoor Garage Door-Opened' is On

Then

Send Notification to 'DAD'

Else

Well, I jumped the gun when I said iit worked.  It did when I performed some quick tests but not when I put it into production.  I didn't get an alert at the first time check, but did for the second time check even though the door was closed.  Tonight, I broke it into two different programs (same program with two different times).  It seemed to work....but I feel like I'm back to where I started.  I've gone back to "status" instead of "control" based on what others said....but I'm using the "Then" to trigger....not the "Else"...

Here's one of the two programs - I'll report back if this appears to be working regularly.

If
    And Status  'Outdoor Garage Door-Opened' is On

Then

Else

I am not sure what your problem with this program is as the technique has rolled but...

You can combine your programs into one with the ISY parenthesis and logic.'

If
    (
      OR
        Time is 11:00:00PM
      OR
        Time is 11:30:00PM
    ) AND
        Status  'Outdoor Garage Door-Opened' is On

Then

Else

This is where it can get tricky if you are not a Boolean guy, but you will get there and be crazy like the rest of us. :)

Watch your bracket placement.

I detect my garage door with an IOLinc and flash a bulb in the corner while the door is open, the whole time.

I use a corner lamp that is usually white and flash it red in a throbbing pattern look. If The Gathering Room lights are turned off and the bedroom lights turned on I flash the bedroom lap 100%. With normally only going on about 15% at night a 15 Watt LED bedroom bulb is hard to ignore.

During the day if the car hasn't left (detected by a CAO Tag signal lost) I wait about 4 hours to send a notification to our cell phones and email.

If the car is detected away I send the notification in about 5 minutes so I don't get too far away before turning back.

Occasionally my wife will be out shopping with the car and I will have the garage door open to do yard chores and she gets a notification. I explained the logic and she is fine with that. Good descriptions in the text is paramount.

So far I have both home and away situations covered fairly well but there is always room for more Jello! :)

Archived