Insteon Floodlight soultions?

keribi

I currently use 2 of the old insteon floodlight kits with the in-line module. They work fine and  unfortunately no longer available.  Anyone have any DIY solutions to achieve the same functionality as the original insteon floods?   A sense line would be needed from the PIR to a insteon module. Thanks.

The Micro Dimmers sense line is load level, i.e., 120V in the U.S.. So your PIR would have to have a 120 V trigger.

Floodlights with a PIR in the same enclosure run the PIR on the same 120VAC as the lights, for example the really old school 3-hole box incandescent floods, wired like this:

sensorwiring-Wire-diagrams-easy-simple-d

Becomes this:

Insteon-2443-222-_Motion-_Activated-_Flo

I use Micro Modules with conventional motion sensing floodlights. Connect the wire that goes from the existing sensor to the floodlight(s) to Micro Module sense #1 wire (yellow) instead and the load from the Micro Module to the floodlight(s). And, of course, line and neutral to the Micro Module. That's it.

How do you prevent it from turning off the light on end of motion. In other words, if you turn it on via Insteon command, then there is motion, it will turn off at end of timer, right.

For that application, perhaps program the micro module for "dual momentary" mode and set the PIR's on duration as low as you can.

In the setup I described, it will function as the built-in motion sensor does, that is, on with motion and off after a predetermined time with the added ability of using an Insteon command to turn it on if it's off and off it it's on, exactly the way the old Insteon floodlight kit worked.

If you want more functionality, then you'll need to use an Insteon manager capable of that. What are you using now to control your Insteon network?

I have standard flood lights wired to an insteon inlinelinc module and motion sensors mounted under it. I found I have many more options this way than by using standard light with a motion sensor built into it. 

+1 - replaced the motion detector flood lights on my new house with regular flood fixtures controlled by dual-band Insteon dimmers and added Insteon motion detectors (v1). I already owned the dimmers and v1 motion detectors from the old house, so it was a no brainer for me. But it does provide a little more flexibility in programming and control than the micro dimmer w/ 120V PIR detector.

Based off certain situations I am able to turn my flood lights on or off without worrying about the motion sensor triggering them when I don't want it to.

For example, my entertainment scene will set all the lights on so the outside of the house is completely lit up. That way if people walk through the yard, driveway, etc. they can see and I dont have to worry about any motion sensors timing out afterwards which would then turn off the light.

We also get strong storms out here. Since I have a lot of trees around my property, when the wind kicks up, they can sway enough to trigger my lights. A quick double tap temporarily disables my programs from running so the light isnt constantly being triggered 

Archived