Echo + ISY = Good Combination?

Msradell

I've been using the Insteon controller which is compatible with Alexa but Alexa seems to lose communication with it on a regular basis. I'm hoping this doesn't happen with the ISY controller. Hopefully somebody who is using this combination can give me some feedback.

Hi, welcome to the UDI Forums!

Its unlikely that the ISY will change the existing comm problems. They ISY another Alexa controlled device.. the core communications and voice recognition will continue to travel through the AWS Cloud like they do for you already.

If there's something wrong with those existing communications, it needs to be figured out first.  Let's start with a basic ones:

• How healthy is your internet service for other things... any drops or problems?
  • How good is your wifi overall? Tablets, laptops, etc have any problems like the echo
  • Does your router have a place to look at your connected wifi clients and see their signal strength? If so, how does the echo compare to other wifi connected devices?

Paul

My Internet service is almost flawless, no drops or sags in speed. I get a consistent 40 Mb down and 10 Mb up with a ping of about 45 ms. Wi-Fi overall a very good and many of my devices run a wired connection. They all communicate with the echo without problem.

My router to show all the signal strength and the lowest one is 4 Bars except my sprinkler system which is 3 because it is quite remote. The echo shows a solid 5 Bars, the echo only sits about 10 feet from the router.

If you look at some of the Insteon forums communication failures between the hub and the echo is a common problem and appears to be an issue with the hub itself. That's why am thinking that maybe the ISY will solve my problems.

If there's something wrong with those existing communications, it needs to be figured out first.

To be fair, it could be that the Insteon "cloud" infrastructure is less reliable than what ISY has setup. It'd be hard to test this as the issue w/o actually having both to test with. But assuming they've got good wifi, a good router and good internet, this could be it. I don't exactly hear a lot of people talking about Insteon + Alexa integration in any of the places I frequent. :/

To be fair, it could be that the Insteon "cloud" infrastructure is less reliable than what ISY has setup. It'd be hard to test this as the issue w/o actually having both to test with. But assuming they've got good wifi, a good router and good internet, this could be it. I don't exactly hear a lot of people talking about Insteon + Alexa integration in any of the places I frequent. :/

Right. I wasn't sure from the original post if the problems were solely hub related.

Paul

My Internet service is almost flawless, no drops or sags in speed. I get a consistent 40 Mb down and 10 Mb up with a ping of about 45 ms. Wi-Fi overall a very good and many of my devices run a wired connection. They all communicate with the echo without problem.

My router to show all the signal strength and the lowest one is 4 Bars except my sprinkler system which is 3 because it is quite remote. The echo shows a solid 5 Bars, the echo only sits about 10 feet from the router.

If you look at some of the Insteon forums communication failures between the hub and the echo is a common problem and appears to be an issue with the hub itself. That's why am thinking that maybe the ISY will solve my problems.

Ok. I wasn't sure in the original post the problem was solely insteon hub related. I've had very good success with a Dot and my ISY for a year. I also have thermostats, tv remote and sprinkler controller.. all controlled well by the dot too.  Has it been perfect.. no, but only a few misses.. none noticed for quite a few months now.

Given your solid internet and wifi, and I assume solid Dot use outside of the hub, you will be happy.

Paul