Flashing KPL button light

Goose66

Anyone used a program to flash a KPL button (1s on, 1s off) for any length of time to reflect status? I would like to flash the KPL button for my Spa after I turn it on until it is up to temperature. Could be flashing for as long as 20 minutes in the winter. Seems like a lot of Insteon traffic, though. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Anyone used a program to flash a KPL button (1s on, 1s off) for any length of time to reflect status? I would like to flash the KPL button for my Spa after I turn it on until it is up to temperature. Could be flashing for as long as 20 minutes in the winter. Seems like a lot of Insteon traffic, though. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Limited use is fine but for 20 minutes you're asking for trouble.

I tried this but with so many gadgets using the same device it ties up Insteon traffic. I had nothing but trouble doing this and worked out a different solution. Flashing about every 5 seconds was the limit to not tie up the rest of my Insteon actions. The MS action, directly linked scene with the light (same KPL) could take up to 45 seconds to respond at times, while the flashing was happenning.

Even just operating the LEDs without a Wait  comes with a severe warning you may cause All-On comm clashes. Not sure why this is predicted to be such a problem but I don't understand the multi-mode technology jump problems going on with v5 either.

Since its counting on insteon traffic, I'd be surprised if the blinks were on "a rhythm". The blinks will most likely be inconsistent, eg 1 second 1, 2 seconds off, 3 seconds on, 1 second off, etc.

If you have an extra key, dedicate one for "Spa Ready" that lights up when the Spa is at temp, goes back off when its not.

Paul

If the OP truly see's value in having the ability to flash & beep natively please consider lending your voice to this *Insteon Wish List* idea thread: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/16482-native-beep-flash

Once you create a new account you will simply select *LIKE* under the first post. The idea is if the company see's lots of interest in such an idea they may try to incorporate the same in later hardware revisions. As of this writing that initial idea was created on 08, 15, 2014 and has garnered 11 primary likes and 5 sub likes.

You want it ~ Speak Up . . .

Although it may be too bright, set up a strobe to do the blinking. One On at the beginning and one Off at the end.

If a small budget was available a dedicated flashing / pulsing strobe relay could be used. This would reduce Insteon traffic and ensure notification and the strobe could be repuprosed to do something else like someone is at the door etc.

I do this now in a few special applications . . .

Great when a phone call comes in and the music is really loud B)

Yup, the initial reason these were used was for a client who was hearing impaired. Thus the need for lots of visual indicators like strobes, reader boards, and SMS / Push / Email alerts.

If the fixtures are standard underwater pool lighting, then you should have no difficulty installing any bulb. I've not had any difficulty installing LED bulbs in an enclosed fixture, contrary to the warnings. YMMV.

Archived