IoT can mean you don't own the product

G W

It's why I stay with ISY. I fully support UDI in the decision to be Internet independent.

The many cloud services are nice but none are reliable for Home Control. One should not have to have an Internet service to have the ability to control devices at the location.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Yes! This is a primary reason for hoosing the ISY and has been a fuiding principle for most of my gadget decisions. Unfortunately, I broke down and purchased a ring doorbell the other day.

Ring at least charges for the cloud service, so I have a reasonable confidence that they have a long game in mind. I’m very suspicious of cloud linked products with no subscription, since at some point the monthly cost of the cloud service exceeds the profit from the sale of the product.

There are "in-between" products too. Top of mind are Venstar Colortouch thermostats and the Rainmachine irrigation controller.

These both have cloud services surrounding the device, for functions like mobile app support and remote web configuration access (redirect, so no ports open locally). However, those cloud services are not core or required to operate them. The cloud could be shut down, and these devices continue to function locally via local API.

Paul

Ring at least charges for the cloud service, so I have a reasonable confidence that they have a long game in mind. I’m very suspicious of cloud linked products with no subscription, since at some point the monthly cost of the cloud service exceeds the profit from the sale of the product.

I understand that the cloud service is optional for features beyond the basic notifications.  Perhaps those notifications, themselves, are independent from the cloud, but I suspect not.  All I am looking for is my devices throughout the house to show me the video notifications when the doorbell rings or motion is sensed.  But, this is all an experiment on my part.  I find it difficult to understand the details of how many of these new gadget functions purely from web research and find that I must try them to fully understand of what they are capable.

I will also try to incorporate the ring video camera into my IPCamviewer app, but I am not hopeful.  I suspect even viewing the video camera goes through the cloud and is not available via simple URL stream.

Archived