anyway to speed up motion sensor reaction times?

musicmatters

I have a few setups of Lights being linked to motion sensors to turn on in 2 closets and a pantry.  It works, but it is a good 2-3 secs before the light actually turns no.   It's not the ramp on time either as I have that set to 0secs.  Are there any tweeks to have that feel more "instant" and responsive?

I have a few setups of Lights being linked to motion sensors to turn on in 2 closets and a pantry.  It works, but it is a good 2-3 secs before the light actually turns no.   It's not the ramp on time either as I have that set to 0secs.  Are there any tweeks to have that feel more "instant" and responsive?

Having dual band devices within close proximity to the motion sensor may help. There will always be a slight delay when turning on a scene. 

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17495-how-to-use-a-ms-with-lights-for-faster-response/?hl=%2Bhow+%2Blights

Link the motion sensor directly to the light, and have it send on commands only (instead of having a program respond to the on).

Have your program respond to on only for the purpose of timing the on time and then turning off on the time or condition that you desire.

Link the motion sensor directly to the light, and have it send on commands only (instead of having a program respond to the on).

Have your program respond to on only for the purpose of timing the on time and then turning off on the time or condition that you desire.

Could you explain this a little more?  Maybe give an example of it?  How do I make it send ON commands only?

I currently have it setup to be a program that executes when the Motion Sensor gets an "ON" message.   Should it just be a Scene with a controller and responder instead and not utilize a Program?

What types of motion sensors? If they are the older 2842-222 then "On Only"  is a jumper setting (pin 4). It will send On on motion and continue to send On every second until motion stops.

The light will be in a scene as a responder with the motion detector as a controller. When the motion detector sends an On, the light should turn on immediately without the 1 or 2 second delay introduced by the ISY's program cycle. But the motion detector never sends and Off. Your program is setup to respond to the motion detector being "switched On" and will run a timer for the desired duration after last motion and then switch the light off in the "Then" branch. Each subsequent On for the motion detector will re-run the program (and thus reset the timer). The program can also update the status of KPL keys and other switches that control the light to keep everything in sync.

Could you explain this a little more? Maybe give an example of it? How do I make it send ON commands only?

I currently have it setup to be a program that executes when the Motion Sensor gets an "ON" message. Should it just be a Scene with a controller and responder instead and not utilize a Program?

Read post #4

If jumper 5 is on then all settings can be done in the ISY admin console.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

If jumper 5 is on then all settings can be done in the ISY admin console.

If jumper 5 is on, then all settings must be done in the ISY admin console (except sensitivity, jumper 1).

• 2 weeks later...

What types of motion sensors? If they are the older 2842-222 then "On Only"  is a jumper setting (pin 4). It will send On on motion and continue to send On every second until motion stops.

The light will be in a scene as a responder with the motion detector as a controller. When the motion detector sends an On, the light should turn on immediately without the 1 or 2 second delay introduced by the ISY's program cycle. But the motion detector never sends and Off. Your program is setup to respond to the motion detector being "switched On" and will run a timer for the desired duration after last motion and then switch the light off in the "Then" branch. Each subsequent On for the motion detector will re-run the program (and thus reset the timer). The program can also update the status of KPL keys and other switches that control the light to keep everything in sync.

I can't seem to get it not send off commands.  It turns on fine when i walk in the room, but the second it senses no motion it turns off.   It's my office, so I want it to turn on when i walk in, but if I'm sitting at my desk it turns off after like 30 seconds.  How can I fix this?

I can't seem to get it not send off commands.  It turns on fine when i walk in the room, but the second it senses no motion it turns off.   It's my office, so I want it to turn on when i walk in, but if I'm sitting at my desk it turns off after like 30 seconds.  How can I fix this?

You need to put the sensor in linking mode by opening the back and pressing the set button. The Led on the front will blink for a few minutes and then set mode will stop.

While its in set mode:

• go to the admin console and click on the motion sensor.
  • Towards the bottom of the screen there will be "options". Under options check the "on commands only" 
  • Press the set button again

This assumes you set jumper 5 and restarted the MS as discussed in prior posts.

You can link the switches and they should turn on fairly quickly. I have an MS covering my driveway and deck, and I'm very happy with how fast everything reacts.

Paul

The "send On commands only' option need to be selected so that only ISY programs control the Off cycle.

Archived