No devices discovered using v3

JBHorne

Benoit’s post just indicates that you can’t have two devices with the same spoken name, even if you put them

In different groups. To use implicit targeting, you don’t want to name anything (device, scene, etc. ) “lights” so that this command is reserved for the implicit targeting.

BTW, it does work for devices now and should for ISY scenes after this weekend. Don’t know why you’re fighting it.

I'm not fighting it. On the contrary, I started my post with, "I haven't yet tried .." I will try, but I haven't yet gotten around to it.

OK, I surrender. I can create any number of groups (actually, three; one for each room that has an Echo on the same account). When I'm in the kitchen, I want to be able to say, "Alexa, turn on the light," and have only the kitchen light turn on. I can do that, but selecting a group as an action is not an option. Also, when I'm in the dining room, I want, "Alexa, turn on the light," to turn on only the dining room light. Can't be done. The smartphone app won't allow another routine with the same command.

I also don't see any way to assign a particular command to a specified Echo device (e.g., one of the three I added), so only that Echo controls a particular device, scene or group.

OK, I surrender. I can create any number of groups (actually, three; one for each room that has an Echo on the same account). When I'm in the kitchen, I want to be able to say, "Alexa, turn on the light," and have only the kitchen light turn on. I can do that, but selecting a group as an action is not an option. Also, when I'm in the dining room, I want, "Alexa, turn on the light," to turn on only the dining room light. Can't be done. The smartphone app won't allow another routine with the same command.

I also don't see any way to assign a particular command to a specified Echo device (e.g., one of the three I added), so only that Echo controls a particular device, scene or group.

This one you don't do with Routines, you do it with Smart Home Groups..

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Benoit’s post just indicates that you can’t have two devices with the same spoken name, even if you put them

In different groups. To use implicit targeting, you don’t want to name anything (device, scene, etc. ) “lights” so that this command is reserved for the implicit targeting.

BTW, it does work for devices now and should for ISY scenes after this weekend. Don’t know why you’re fighting it.

By the way I have a Smart Home Group with 2 devices and a ISY scene, all of them turn on AND off!

Seems you simply don’t assign any spoken at all. ‘Light’ is implied, and will act on all devices in the group of type ‘light’ (ie, not scenes unless you change the type of the scene to ‘light’ in the Portal).

Maybe I haven't been clear. I want to go into the bedroom and tell the Echo device to turn on the light. I don't want to specify the room name (i.e., bedroom), only tell Alexa to turn on the light-period. Specifically, "Alexa, turn on the light." No other words at all, only, "Alexa, turn on the light."

I also want to use exactly the same command in any of several rooms and have the light in the room I'm in turn on. no other lights, only the light in that specific room. In the dining room, "Alexa, turn on the light," affects only the dining room light. In the living room, "Alexa, turn on the light," turns on the living room light, no other light in the house is affected.

The expression used in each room is identical, the only difference is which room's light gets turned on. I can do that now using multiple accounts. I cannot do that using only one account. I don't want all lights in a group turned on, only a single light in a particular room. Again, I do not want to use a different expression in each room and I do not want to specify which room's light to turn on.

MWareman, neither the computer app not the smartphone app allows creating a group without a name. What should I name each group without having to specify that group's name in the command?

Maybe I haven't been clear. I want to go into the bedroom and tell the Echo device to turn on the light. I don't want to specify the room name (i.e., bedroom), only tell Alexa to turn on the light-period. Specifically, "Alexa, turn on the light." No other words at all, only, "Alexa, turn on the light."

I also want to use exactly the same command in any of several rooms and have the light in the room I'm in turn on. no other lights, only the light in that specific room. In the dining room, "Alexa, turn on the light," affects only the dining room light. In the living room, "Alexa, turn on the light," turns on the living room light, no other light in the house is affected.

The expression used in each room is identical, the only difference is which room's light gets turned on. I can do that now using multiple accounts. I cannot do that using only one account. I don't want all lights in a group turned on, only a single light in a particular room. Again, I do not want to use a different expression in each room and I do not want to specify which room's light to turn on.

MWareman, neither the computer app not the smartphone app allows creating a group without a name. What should I name each group without having to specify that group's name in the command?

From my experience. Each group needs a name. If you name group "bedroom". You must use the name bedroom to turn on the lights. If you name the group "light" you can say turn the light. However, you can have only one group named "light". You can have another group named "lights". But only one "lights".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The name of the Smart Home Group is inconsequential to the implict targeting functionality. The primary considerations in naming the group would be 1) it shouldn't conflict with a spoken name for an ISY device or scene, and 2) it needs to make sense as a spoken name if you intend to turn the group (the entire group) on or off  with a spoken command.

Otherwise, it is SIMPLY THE PRESENCE of the Alexa device AND the devices categorized as lights (with the light bulb icon) in the group that enables the implicit targeting. Don't put a light in that group if you don't want it to come on when you say "Alexa, lights on" to the Alexa device in that room. So, for example, in your dining room, create a Smart Home Group called "First IT Group," and put the Alexa device in the dining room in there, along with any light devices you want to come on when you say "Alexa, turn on the lights" to the Alexa device in the dining room. Similarly, create a Smart Home Group for the living room called "Stu's Next IT Group" and put the Alexa device in the living room in that group, along with the lights in the living room you want to use, etc.

I can't do it on the computer, only in the android app..

Mac or PC. This is what I see on a PC:

post-625-0-76350500-1512188874_thumb.png

I'm using ISY v3 skill, but the v2 skill was similar.

The device that hear you say ‘turn on the lights’ will determine which group is used (whatever you called it). The lights in that group respond.

That is, unless you’ve used ‘lights’ as a spoken in your account I guess... it would likely prevent it from working.

Mac or PC. This is what I see on a PC:

I'm using ISY v3 skill, but the v2 skill was similar.

Ii just check the PC interface again (alexa.amazon.com) and, no, it does not have that ability to add Alexa devices to Groups. You will have to use the iOS app or the latest Android app.

Ii just check the PC interface again (alexa.amazon.com) and, no, it does not have that ability to add Alexa devices to Groups. You will have to use the iOS app or the latest Android app.

The alexa.amazon.com webapp shows group management for me...  I can create a group, add devices to it, and modify existing groups..

But you can't add your Alexa devices to a group (your Echo, Dot, Show, Tap, etc.)

How does an Amazon device get associated with a device then?

I have the same as Stu. No amazon devices are listed. I have created groups with different names but only portal elements found, can be included.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

I have the same as Stu. No amazon devices are listed. I have created groups with different names but only portal elements found, can be included.

I think I have completely failed at describing what is an otherwise simple concept. I will let someone else take a whack at it.

Pay attention Larry, it does not work on computer, just in the proper version of the Android App... :)

Pay attention Larry, it does not work on computer, just in the proper version of the Android App... :)

I am using the app with the same version number. It has the same options as the webpage but I haven't tried a sideload yet.

I think I have completely failed at describing what is an otherwise simple concept. I will let someone else take a whack at it.

In order to turn on/off lights based on which echo you speak to:

1. Create an Alexa group (The name does not matter)

2. Add your Alexa device in that group (You need the iOS or Android app to do this - alexa.amazon.com web app does not support that)

3 Add your lighting devices in that group

That's it.

Now, what it allows you do do is:

- Say "Alexa, turn off the lights", which will turn off all lights in the same group as Echo.

- Say "Alexa, turn on the lights", which will turn off all lights in the same group as Echo.

FAQ:

Why does my scene does not turn on/off?

A scene is not a lighting device. Only devices identified as a light will turn on/off. In the next update tomorrow to the V3 skill, you will be able to make your scene appear as a lighting device.

Can I have 2 devices named the same, like "Alexa, turn off the bedroom light" which targets different devices depending on the echo?

No. Alexa device names (or spokens) needs to be unique.
Furthermore, when you specify a device name in your command, this is not limited to the group the Echo device is in. Your device could be in another group, or in no group at all, and it will be accessible.

I can't add my echo to the group.
You need to use the iOS or Android app. The Alexa web app does not support that yet.

Benoit

I am using the app. It has the same options as the webpage but I haven't tried a sideload yet.

Because you don't have the proper app (we figured that out) not sure why.. Hence my suggestion to try the APKPure route. On 1 device I had the app trough APKPure for more than a year, on another device, installed 10 days ago (from Can store and still says latest) it's like yours, and in a third one, installed 5 days ago from Can store is the same as the in US store.. So go figure.. Eitherway you must have the proper app for that work. I also sent several screen grabs for you to compare with the app you have..

kingwr, your description was spot on. In my case, I was trying to complicate the process. My first group, following your directions worked just fine. My second and third groups OTH not so much because I deviated from your instructions. Once I got back on task it worked just fine. Thank you!!

Archived