Can Harmony Ultimate Home work without ir isy?

Blackbird

You can add the IR module to the ISY. Actually, all the Harmony Hub can do is trigger a program. Then you can use a program in and of itself or have the program turn on or off a device and/or scene. There are more complex methods, but whay not go with the simplest way to accomplish the same task.

I use one of the more complex methods that Stu mentioned.

I'm going Harmony Hub -> SmartThings Hub (virtual switch)  -> IFTTT -> ISY Portal -> ISY.  The other way, to keep things synced, it goes ISY (network resources) -> IFTTT -> SmartThings Hub -> Harmony Hub.  I have no doubt that IFTTT could be eliminated, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.  On the plus side, there is no IR involved.  It's all over the network.

This works for me, but it's not perfect, at least my setup isn't.  I only have on/off control of lights from the Harmony, no dimming.  I also have some looping issues because of the IFTTT delay if I toggle a physical light switch on and off too fast. 

Where can I get it and how much is it?  Is it software or hardware addon?

Thanks

It's hardware. You'll have to open the ISY to install it, but that's easy if you can rewire a lamp and replace a wall switch. Click on Help. Purchase Modules or try here.

I just bought this remote and see that it can control the hub but don't know about the ISY.  I don't have the ISY with IR, is there any way to make this work, maybe by buying an addon device?

Thanks

Can I ask you exactly what you want from your remote to ISY? Depending on what you're looking for, IR module will not help.

And there is the Polyglot way

http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php?/topic/21388-Polyglot-Harmony-Hub-NodeServer

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Once again Jimbo, your knowledge is way beyond what I can comprehend.  I don't even know anything about polyglot.  Looks like I might just stick to my insteon remote to turn off the lights.  Thanks for the help

It's hardware. You'll have to open the ISY to install it, but that's easy if you can rewire a lamp and replace a wall switch. Click on Help. Purchase Modules or try here.

Thanks, so the ISY would need to be next to my TV then right?

Can I ask you exactly what you want from your remote to ISY? Depending on what you're looking for, IR module will not help.

I thought it would be cool to click the "Watch a movie" program on the Harmony and have the lights dim.  I guess Ill just have to go through the anguish of having to push the insteon remote button that sits right next to me.

Thanks, so the ISY would need to be next to my TV then right?

The ISY only need to be within range of the Harmony hand held remote or within range of the Hub, which in my experience, is nearly anywhere in the room or within range of the included IR blaster.

I thought it would be cool to click the "Watch a movie" program on the Harmony and have the lights dim.  I guess Ill just have to go through the anguish of having to push the insteon remote button that sits right next to me.

So did I until I discovered that you can assign only one function to a button. That means that if you assign lights to the "Watch a Movie" button, then it will control the lights, but it will no longer function as a "Watch a Movie" button.

I ended up assigning the red disk to dimming the lights and the white rectangle to restoring the lights.

I thought it would be cool to click the "Watch a movie" program on the Harmony and have the lights dim. I guess Ill just have to go through the anguish of having to push the insteon remote button that sits right next to me.

For that you would use a hue emulator, like the one in ISYHelper then add it to the Harmony then you can set light level in your watch movie activity. I control lights with my Harmony ultimate this way and directly wi the home control buttons.

I know it's complicated, but it is possible

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The ISY only need to be within range of the Harmony hand held remote or within range of the Hub, which in my experience, is nearly anywhere in the room or within range of the included IR blaster.

So did I until I discovered that you can assign only one function to a button. That means that if you assign lights to the "Watch a Movie" button, then it will control the lights, but it will no longer function as a "Watch a Movie" button.

I ended up assigning the red disk to dimming the lights and the white rectangle to restoring the lights.

I think you should change your approach, Stu.  I have to admit, my harmony hub has been in a box for a couple of years now, unopened, but I did use harmony extensively in the past when it was IR only.  What I think you may want to consider is that you should be able add any arbitrary device to the "Watch a movie" activity in Harmony eco system and that device's remote can have a button coded with a command for the ISY that you call out.  If the arbitrary device option isn't available any more, you might even add the command to one of your actual devices in the activity.  You don't have to put the action on a universal button unless you want it always there.

You should be able to code any random IR command for any random button on any device and have ISY respond to it.  You don't have to use the preconfigured 40 codes in Harmony, if those are even still there.

I intend to avoid IR if I can integrate over the network directly.

If you add a command to any Harmony button, then that command will replace, not supplement, the original button's function. As versatile as the Harmony Hub is, ti's very lacking in flexibility. In addition to the limitation I just mentioned, you can add only one remote that has a screen plus only one that doesn't. And Alexa can handle only one Harmony Hub.

I had to reset virtually everything when I added a command to a Bluetooth button. There's no way at all to add a Bluetooth command back. OTOH, it's the best remote for controlling my Fire TV which has no volume function. Too bad we need two Hubs so both my wife and I can have a remote with a screen when watching a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an Echo or Echo Dot, it would be easy to create a group and add the 'Watch A Movie' command and a dim the lights command and then ask Alexa to start the movie (or whatever) to get things going.  This, in my mind, is an easy way to tie the ISY and the Harmony Hub together.

Don

Archived