Java error on connectiing to ISY 99i

daveminker

Upgraded to 2.7.0 earlier today with no issue. Found that there was a 2.7.1 upgrade that had some IR enhancements and wanted to take advantage of it, so attempted to perform that update about an hour later. Errored out during the upgrade w/ an "Invalid Length" error and after a few consecutive attempts, just rebooted my PC and tried again. This time, when launching the browser, received a Java error in the browser when clicking "Administration Console". Error is reproduced below:

load: class com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed:http://192.168.10.157/com/universaldevices/client/ui/UDClientApplet/class.class
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
... 7 more
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class

I *can* connect to the device and launch the admin console using the http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/ link, but still continue to get invalid length errors when attempting to flash the 2.7.1 (or 2.7.2) upgrade. I have a backup from pre-2.7.0-upgrade, but even attempting to reload that (which succeeds) still gives me the same error as above when trying to launch the Admin console from my "local" URL.

Do i have to perform a factory reset and re-flash the upgrades?

Isn't this just a local PC issue and shouldn't launching the Java console thru the alternative URL re-populate the cache on my PC with the appropriate applpet information?

Any thoughts as to why i'm having such a problem with upgrading the firmware all of a sudden?

I'm really jazzed to get my Harmony One working w/ the 99i ... of course now I'm *stuck* ... ain't that just the way of it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Dave

Hello Dave,

Apologies for the inconvenience. Please do NOT factory reset your ISY. What you want to do is:

1. Clear your Java Cache

2. Make sure your firewall software is off

3. Go to http://www.universal-devices.com/99i and try the upgrade again

If this fails - and if you have a remote URL which allows us to login to your ISY - please provide it to support@universal-devices.com along with your credentials (reset to admin/admin please) and we'll try to upgrade it remotely.

With kind regards,

Michel

Upgraded to 2.7.0 earlier today with no issue. Found that there was a 2.7.1 upgrade that had some IR enhancements and wanted to take advantage of it, so attempted to perform that update about an hour later. Errored out during the upgrade w/ an "Invalid Length" error and after a few consecutive attempts, just rebooted my PC and tried again. This time, when launching the browser, received a Java error in the browser when clicking "Administration Console". Error is reproduced below:

load: class com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed:http://192.168.10.157/com/universaldevices/client/ui/UDClientApplet/class.class
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
... 7 more
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class

I *can* connect to the device and launch the admin console using the http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/ link, but still continue to get invalid length errors when attempting to flash the 2.7.1 (or 2.7.2) upgrade. I have a backup from pre-2.7.0-upgrade, but even attempting to reload that (which succeeds) still gives me the same error as above when trying to launch the Admin console from my "local" URL.

Do i have to perform a factory reset and re-flash the upgrades?

Isn't this just a local PC issue and shouldn't launching the Java console thru the alternative URL re-populate the cache on my PC with the appropriate applpet information?

Any thoughts as to why i'm having such a problem with upgrading the firmware all of a sudden?

I'm really jazzed to get my Harmony One working w/ the 99i ... of course now I'm *stuck* ... ain't that just the way of it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Dave

Cache cleared, a/v disabled, still can't get my device to upgrade past 2.7.0 either using my local URL or the http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/ link. Also still get the Java error when attempting to access the Administration Console via my URL, both on the LAN as well as remotely from my office.

I've opened a support ticket as requested and will wait for further instructions.

thanks.

• 7 months later...

I've encountered the same Java exception as the original poster (Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class) in very similar circumstances.

In my cases I did a successful upgrade to 2.7.0 from 2.6.13, took a backup then tried to upgrade to 2.7.6 (with AV disabled and no Windows firewall, just as with the prior upgrade). I encountered the "Invalid Length" error. Trying to access the Admin console then gives the Java exception.

My case then differs from the OP. If I use the http://www.universal-devices.com/99i link, a Java console is displayed but no devices, and no ability to retry the upgrade. I've tried clearing the cache. This is on Vista + Firefox.

So now I'm a little stuck and wondering how best to proceed?!

Thanks,

- Andrew

Archived