First Alert Has Its Own Wi-Fi Mesh Router That Hijacks Every Connected Device With Smoke Alarm Warnings

G W

Are you worried your kids are so addicted to their devices that they’ll completely tune out and ignore even the shrill alarm of a smoke detector? First Alert wants to make sure that never happens, so the company is branching out with a whole home mesh wi-fi system that guarantees everyone in the house will know when there’s an emergency.

https://gizmodo.com/first-alert-has-its-own-wi-fi-mesh-router-that-hijacks-1821821655/amp

Are you worried your kids are so addicted to their devices that they’ll completely tune out and ignore even the shrill alarm of a smoke detector? First Alert wants to make sure that never happens, so the company is branching out with a whole home mesh wi-fi system that guarantees everyone in the house will know when there’s an emergency.

https://gizmodo.com/first-alert-has-its-own-wi-fi-mesh-router-that-hijacks-1821821655/amp

Love it. Thanks Gary. I’m wowed.

I don’t even know what to say or where to begin. All I know is I hope it’s not like those routers that require regular reboots to communicate or someone could be seriously injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it. Thanks Gary. I’m wowed.

I don’t even know what to say or where to begin. All I know is I hope it’s not like those routers that require regular reboots to communicate or someone could be seriously injured.

This is actually something that's useful. This could be used for many different alerts: Severe weather, Tornado Warning, Brush Fire, Lightning, etc.

Useful, I agree...  Just seems like the network alert idea should have been driven by router / networking companies rather than a smoke detector company.  1) I don't envision "feature-rich" networking offerings from First Alert, and 2) I feel like anybody who can or would tune-out the 13 code-required plus 5 Elk smoke/CO detectors installed throughout my house is pretty much on their own... :roll:   

This is actually something that's useful. This could be used for many different alerts: Severe weather, Tornado Warning, Brush Fire, Lightning, etc.

Good point; this is a broader application than I understood from the article. Although I’m sure the smart people here including you know how to get this information and rebroadcast it in the house without this router.

Yet if it’s only for “local” fire, I agree with Bipto; if you missed the blaring alarm you’re on your own.

Archived