Zwave 700 - 10 yr battery?

kohai

Would devices with these Sigma 700 series chips actually mean that we have another “generation” for Z-Wave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly my question as well.  ( https://www.sigmadesigns.com/news/sigma-designs-unlocks-full-potential-smart-home-next-generation-z-wave-700-series-chipset/  ).  Other than the extanded range and battery power, what else should we expect from the series 700 and what are the implications for ISY users ?

SmartStart might be cool, especially as a way to make it easier for consumers to get started using Z-Wave.

Sigma's been working on the new chipset for a while, one of the big changes is they new chipset uses 32-bit ARM processors. Writing code for ARM is a heck of a lot easier than writing and debugging on the older models with their 8051 8-bit Intel CPU

The most significant change in the Z-Wave 700’s architecture is a move away from the 8-bit Intel 8051-compatible foundation used in previous generations to a 32-bit ARM Cortex SoC (system on chip). Despite this shift, Z-Wave 700 parts will remain backward compatible with every other Z-Wave device since the platform’s inception more than 15 years ago.

SmartStart might be cool, especially as a way to make it easier for consumers to get started using Z-Wave.

Sigma's been working on the new chipset for a while, one of the big changes is they new chipset uses 32-bit ARM processors. Writing code for ARM is a heck of a lot easier than writing and debugging on the older models with their 8051 8-bit Intel CPU

"...........Z-Wave 700 parts will remain backward compatible with every other Z-Wave device since the platform’s inception more than 15 years ago.................." If I understand it well, the backward working is relative in as much as your system operates at the lowest common system, and what does it take for ISY to be compatible with Series 700 ? I have read somewhere (but may be wrong) that ISY is not yet ready for Series 500.

Wrong. If that were the case your Homeseer switches wouldn't work. 500 devices work fine since they talk to the 300 ISY chip in compatability mode.

You likely have it confused with ISY mentioning they're upgrading the zwave module to 500 in the future, which hasn't happened yet.

"...........Z-Wave 700 parts will remain backward compatible with every other Z-Wave device since the platform’s inception more than 15 years ago.................." If I understand it well, the backward working is relative in as much as your system operates at the lowest common system, and what does it take for ISY to be compatible with Series 700 ? I have read somewhere (but may be wrong) that ISY is not yet ready for Series 500.

I don't know what "ISY is not yet ready for Series 500" means.

If I connect a newer technology Z-Wave device to the ISY, I understand that the two will connect -- and the features that the newer Z-Wave device makes available to the older chipset on the ISY will be completely usable by the ISY.  But just like any other protocol (including Insteon), if the new device adds a new style of secure connection, and only offers certain new features (like automatically walking the dog for you, to pick a silly example) over that new secure type of connection, then of course the ISY won't be able to expose that new feature for you.

There's a lot of misinformation tossed around on this forum about the newer Z-Wave devices, with some seeming to claim that these new devices (one post mentions the Mimo2) won't work at all until we get new hardware for the ISY.  This is generally incorrect -- most of the features we on this forum have been wanting do  NOT require newer hardware on the ISY.  Rather, most of the issues I've seen attributed to "old hardware" are merely bugs or need for custom drivers for the existing ISY implementation.  (And, no, I'm not going to go scour the board for all of those and address each of them independently! So don't anyone ask.  Y'all can google as well as I can!)

Finally, that said, I think the use of a custom hardware "dongle" for the ISY is regrettable.  If it were just a USB stick inside the unit, it would be a lot easier for UDI to ship a Aeon labs stick with the ISY, offer hardware upgrades, and always offer the latest and greatest Z-Wave hardware.  It's feeling a little bit like the Insteon PLM all over again, with the difference being that this time the custom hardware is UDI's...

I don't know what "ISY is not yet ready for Series 500" means.

If I connect a newer technology Z-Wave device to the ISY, I understand that the two will connect -- and the features that the newer Z-Wave device makes available to the older chipset on the ISY will be completely usable by the ISY.  But just like any other protocol (including Insteon), if the new device adds a new style of secure connection, and only offers certain new features (like automatically walking the dog for you, to pick a silly example) over that new secure type of connection, then of course the ISY won't be able to expose that new feature for you.

There's a lot of misinformation tossed around on this forum about the newer Z-Wave devices, with some seeming to claim that these new devices (one post mentions the Mimo2) won't work at all until we get new hardware for the ISY.  This is generally incorrect -- most of the features we on this forum have been wanting do  NOT require newer hardware on the ISY.  Rather, most of the issues I've seen attributed to "old hardware" are merely bugs or need for custom drivers for the existing ISY implementation.  (And, no, I'm not going to go scour the board for all of those and address each of them independently! So don't anyone ask.  Y'all can google as well as I can!)

Finally, that said, I think the use of a custom hardware "dongle" for the ISY is regrettable.  If it were just a USB stick inside the unit, it would be a lot easier for UDI to ship a Aeon labs stick with the ISY, offer hardware upgrades, and always offer the latest and greatest Z-Wave hardware.  It's feeling a little bit like the Insteon PLM all over again, with the difference being that this time the custom hardware is UDI's...

Thanks for the detailed response. I do indeed use the Homeseer switches and they work very well on my ISY 5.0.11B. I personally have no speed or connection problems and my comment on the backward compatibility is more theoretical than a concern.

• 10 months later...

I am new to Z-Wave development. I was hoping to start with the ARM-based 700 series, and not have to learn writing/debugging 8051 code.

But the Z-wave 700 development kit is marked as "coming soon" on the Silicon Labs web page:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/wireless/mesh-networking/z-wave/700-platform-development-kit

On 11/15/2018 at 7:40 PM, Aram said:

I am new to Z-Wave development. I was hoping to start with the ARM-based 700 series, and not have to learn writing/debugging 8051 code.

But the Z-wave 700 development kit is marked as "coming soon" on the Silicon Labs web page:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/wireless/mesh-networking/z-wave/700-platform-development-kit

Even if they released the chip tomorrow, it'll be a couple of years before devices that take advantage of the chip are released.

Archived