Can Alexa control a KPL button which, in turn, controls a program?

smokegrub

I have tried to do this by using the KPL button address. I save the spoken and when I later examine the list of spokes this one is not in the list even though I asked Alexa to discover it. When I did that Alexa said there were no new programs. I must be missing something basic here. I am less than 24 hours into this so please bear with me.

I have tried to do this by using the KPL button address. I save the spoken and when I later examine the list of spokes this one is not in the list even though I asked Alexa to discover it. When I did that Alexa said there were no new programs. I must be missing something basic here. I am less than 24 hours into this so please bear with me.

Make a program that responds to that button press. Then link Alexa to the program in the portal. Then when you press the KPL the program runs OR if you ask Alexa to run the program it will. You will have to add the KPL button to turn on/off too via the program.

Make a program that responds to that button press. Then link Alexa to the program in the portal. Then when you press the KPL the program runs OR if you ask Alexa to run the program it will. You will have to add the KPL button to turn on/off too via the program.

Will give that a try.

Just to add my 2 cents, in order to have the program turn on or off a KPL button light, the KPL button has to be in a scene as a responder, then you have your program turn on or off the scene. If the KPL button light is already on (e.g., because the KPL button was used to trigger the program), then no harm done.

Also, note that the KPL button has to be configured in "Toggle Mode" for the light to be turned on and off, I believe. So that begs the question: what will the program do. Does it make any sense for the button light to reflect the execution of the program. In other words, do you want to execute the program every time the button is pressed, or execute one program when the button is turned on but another program (or nothing) when the button is turned off. 

Just to add my 2 cents, in order to have the program turn on or off a KPL button light, the KPL button has to be in a scene as a responder, then you have your program turn on or off the scene. If the KPL button light is already on (e.g., because the KPL button was used to trigger the program), then no harm done.

Also, note that the KPL button has to be configured in "Toggle Mode" for the light to be turned on and off, I believe. So that begs the question: what will the program do. Does it make any sense for the button light to reflect the execution of the program. In other words, do you want to execute the program every time the button is pressed, or execute one program when the button is turned on but another program (or nothing) when the button is turned off.

The button doesn’t need to be in toggle mode. Otherwise if you wanted to know the program was running/ran you wouldn’t because the buttons wouldn’t be lit. It’s optional depending on the need of the program.

I have to agree with Scott, Here. I prefer my programs and devices simple and let ISY do all the decisions where possible. Things that flip back and forth complicate this a lot and can cost many hours later when things fail.

Let the KPL buttons not toggle and trigger a program with a Wait 1 seconds in it that turns on a scene to light the LED, avoiding Insteon traffic congestion. The LED scene can also be tied to the KPL button (I think) for a faster response for the human eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still stuck on this. When I use Alexa to run the first program below, the KPL buttons do not show their correct status, i.e., On. Please indulge me, I am new to using Alexa and this has me stumped.

Security - [iD 0011][Parent 001C]

If

Status  'KPLs / Kitchen KPL / Kitchen KPL D (Security)' is 100%

Or Status  'KPLs / Deck KPL / Deck KPL D (Security)' is 100%

Then

Wait  5 minutes 

Set 'Cameras / Kitchen Camera (On-Off)' On

Wait  2 seconds

Set 'Cameras / Kitchen Camera (On-Off)' On

Set 'Cameras / Front Camera (On-Off)' On

Wait  2 seconds

Set 'Cameras / Front Camera (On-Off)' On

Wait  3 minutes 

Enable Program 'Security (Disabled)'

Else

Disable Program 'Security (Disabled)'

Set 'Cameras / Front Camera (On-Off)' Off

Wait  2 seconds

Set 'Cameras / Kitchen Camera (On-Off)' Off

Security (Disabled) - [iD 0012][Parent 001C][Not Enabled]

If

Control 'Sensors (Door) / Front Door Sensor / Front Door Sensor-Opened' is switched On

Or Control 'Sensors (Door) / Deck Door Sensor' is switched On

Or Control 'Sensors (Door) / Garage Side Door Sensor' is switched On

Or Control 'Sensors (Door) / Kitchen Door Sensor' is switched On

Or Control 'Sensors (Door) / Man Cave Door Sensor' is switched On

Then

Send Notification to 'Donnie Wheeler' content 'Chesapeake Door Open'

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The status is disabled until either the Deck or Kitchen KPL D is On.

If you would be so kind as to point out where and what I need to do the first program to have the KPL buttons display their correct status I would be most appreciative.

Archived