PIN to unlock MobiLinc

Scottmichaelj

Who else would like to have MobiLinc add a PIN code before anyone can access the app?

I for one would love to see this implemented. Most apps now either have 4/6 PIN code access, TouchID, or FaceID outside of just locking the phone. This could be toggled on/off at the users discretion.

I'm on Mobilinc HD...don't recall what's the difference between those two products....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help. Yeah too much confusion with these “versions” but that’s another conversation! Lol

I want a simple 6 digit code to be able to be enabled/disabled. If anyone else would like this too please speak up and hopefully Wes can add it in the future if he sees people want it.

That’s another reason to dump mobicrap and go ekeypad

In my home I have ISY ZW 5.0.11B  (+/-  60 Zwave devices), 2 Nest Thermostats and 6 Foscam cameras. Would Ekeypad control all in one App in IOS ?

In my home I have ISY ZW 5.0.11B (+/- 60 Zwave devices), 2 Nest Thermostats and 6 Foscam cameras. Would Ekeypad control all in one App in IOS ?

Yes, yes it will :) it even has a nice blueprint mode for use on an iPad :)

Ps: so glad you didn’t say ecobee, it doesn’t support ecobee yet.

Scottmichaelj,

I've responded to you from your email support request. Understood about the difference between biometrics and "knowledge" based password in the US. If you would respond to my email with the details as to why the startup password option isn't working for you, I'd like to understand what's happening in your setup.

To get a read on how important a separate PIN screen is from the already existing startup password and biometric TouchID/FaceID, anyone interested in this, please "like" this response so I can get a feel for the demand.

Wes

Scottmichaelj,

I've responded to you from your email support request. Understood about the difference between biometrics and "knowledge" based password in the US. If you would respond to my email with the details as to why the startup password option isn't working for you, I'd like to understand what's happening in your setup.

To get a read on how important a separate PIN screen is from the already existing startup password and biometric TouchID/FaceID, anyone interested in this, please "like" this response so I can get a feel for the demand.

Wes

Email has been sent along with a video showing my complete steps. (Side note, love the new screen recording tool in iOS 11) Hopefully Wes will now see exactly what is happening from my recording.

Thanks Scott! I sent you a response with a series of steps to try to get it resolved.

Wes

Wes,

After further testing, it seems this is an ISY Portal issue. When I removed the UDI portal and connect locally via IP to the ISY the startup password works using the ISYs password. When I added the UDI portal back I have to use the UDI PORTAL password for the "Startup Password" to work. Which is a long complex password. Thus even though it seemed to accept the ISY password it wasn't really wasn't (no errors). This maybe something you might want to look at. Why does a "bad" password get rejected but the actual ISY password not get rejected even when using the ISY password via the UDI portal? If the ISYs actual password was rejected as an error it may have helped resolve this faster.

So that said, this is still why I would love to see is a simple 6 digit PIN directly held in Mobilinc app side. When the PIN is enabled, when Mobilinc starts up you see NOTHING in the background, its a blank page or a full page with the 10 digits to enter. As it is now you can see the last page you were on (or whatever is configured for startup page) with perhaps sensitive information even if password is enabled.

Also since technically we cant have multiple users with the ISY, but since you can have multiple profiles setup in Mobilinc, shouldn't some members like kids only be able to get their devices to control? Then you could have a main administrator for everything linked to the profiles somehow? Thus getting around the multiple users issue on the ISY itself? Most wives and kids could careless about seeing everything, nor do they need to. Again using a unique PIN to that user would allow them just to their page you setup for them in the ML app.

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

Just to broadcast here what we were discussing over email: The Startup password is only looking to compare what's entered with the active profile's Lighting Controller's password as entered exactly into MobiLinc on the Lighting Controller page for however you are connecting back to your ISY. I've added looking at the bad password flow you detailed here to my to-do list to see why that is.

Understood about the PIN and related user profiles. This is part of the internal discussion on the next massive MobiLinc update. Thank you for your thoughts and discussion today over email.

Wes

Really? In what way that would be pertinent here?

Well the fact is I do not have FaceID or TouchID enabled. I would like a six digit PIN to protect the app from being able to be controlled by anyone. For example what if I am at a coffee shop and my phone is unlocked and I get up to grab my coffee and forgot my phone. It would protect me from anyone using my home automation after they steal the phone to access my home by disabling my security system. I also spelled out where I would like the PIN to work with other user profiles in MobiLinc. My ISY portal is a complex secured random password generated from my password manager. So while I can copy the password and paste it each time I open MobiLinc it’s an inconvenience, so the PIN based would be easier. I also wouldn’t have to share that password with family members as each could have a separate PIN keeping the integrity of security in place.

Well the fact is I do not have FaceID or TouchID enabled. I would like a six digit PIN to protect the app from being able to be controlled by anyone. For example what if I am at a coffee shop and my phone is unlocked and I get up to grab my coffee and forgot my phone. It would protect me from anyone using my home automation after they steal the phone to access my home by disabling my security system. I also spelled out where I would like the PIN to work with other user profiles in MobiLinc. My ISY portal is a complex secured random password generated from my password manager. So while I can copy the password and paste it each time I open MobiLinc it’s an inconvenience, so the PIN based would be easier. I also wouldn’t have to share that password with family members as each could have a separate PIN keeping the integrity of security in place.

Got it. That makes sense.

Archived