Trouble adding device - table address error

mbam

I'm having a problem adding some devices. Brand new 2477D dual band, v4.5. I'm getting "Cannot determine device link table address" error. Tried 2 different units so far. Did factory reset on both of them.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!!

2018-02-26_0735.png

Ok, I'll try that. Probably not a bad idea in general  as the ISY and PLM are currently on the same circuit as all my AV equipment at the far end of the house. I think I'll move it more towards the center.

Thanks, I'll report back!

You seem to have a lot of communication problems as evidenced by all the devices that show a ! I recommend taking care of that first. Any electronic device can cause a communication problem. An easy test is to unplug or disconnect possible offenders. They must be unplugged or disconnected. Just turning them off is inadequate.

If doing so improves communication, then a FilterLinc should solve that problem. Also, although moving the PLM is a good idea, try to find a circuit that has little or no electronics. You can use a long extension cord to test various outlets before moving the PLM. It shouldn't matter where the ISY power supply is plugged in.

23 minutes ago, stusviews said:

You seem to have a lot of communication problems as evidenced by all the devices that show a ! I recommend taking care of that first. Any electronic device can cause a communication problem. An easy test is to unplug or disconnect possible offenders. They must be unplugged or disconnected. Just turning them off is inadequate.

If doing so improves communication, then a FilterLinc should solve that problem. Also, although moving the PLM is a good idea, try to find a circuit that has little or no electronics. You can use a long extension cord to test various outlets before moving the PLM. It shouldn't matter where the ISY power supply is plugged in.

Yes, sounds like a good idea even though some of those no longer exist. I left them as most likely I will add them back. I will disable them for now. 

What is the max cable length I can use to connect the PLM to the ISY? I'm thinking that might be a more accurate test as apposed to a long AC cord. 

The concern involves power to the PLM, not the ISY. Filtering the audio equipment is relatively easy as is testing using a long extension cord. But, just adding a filter is useless if you cannot prove which is the offending equipment. That can be shown by simply unplugging and/or disconnecting the suspected gear. Nothing provides a more accurate test. As I mentioned, where the ISY gets power is not as much a problem as where the PLM is powered.

It's recommended that you limit the Ethernet cable to less than 10', but with a very high quality Cat 6 cable, some users have had success with a 40' cable. OTOH, a long extension cable is relative easy to move around. Remember, this is only a test.

If you do need to move the PLM, you may be better off using a long Ethernet cable between the router and a new Ethernet switch so you can keep the length of the cable between the ISY and PLM relatively short.

7 hours ago, mbam said:

Ok, I ran an extension and things are much better!! Even with some of my troublesome devices.

I have network all over the house, I just need to find another spot for the ISY

Big thanks!!

Here's a link to troubleshooting ISY communication problems.

It's best to isolate the PLM from UPS's, computers, and power supplies as they all can interfere with the Insteon signals

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=INSTEON:_Troubleshooting_Communications_Errors

Archived