Insteon motion sensors no longer communicating after extended power outage

Hi All,

We recently lost power for 6 days and after it was restored none of our Insteon motion sensors are communicating with the ISY? It's not the batteries - all the sensors are flashing red LED when motion is detected. Regardless, I tried putting a new battery in one of them but that didn't help. If I query the sensor nothing happens and the current state is blank. This is the same for all 5 motion sensors. Otherwise the ISY99 is working as expected. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Turns out the Leak sensors are working either - so all the wireless devices are down?

After further investigation it seems like most every Insteon device in the house has lost it's settings (switches are using defaults). I'm using the ISY to restore all devices - which is a pita for the motion and leak sensors!

Hi All,
We recently lost power for 6 days and after it was restored none of our Insteon motion sensors are communicating with the ISY? It's not the batteries - all the sensors are flashing red LED when motion is detected. Regardless, I tried putting a new battery in one of them but that didn't help. If I query the sensor nothing happens and the current state is blank. This is the same for all 5 motion sensors. Otherwise the ISY99 is working as expected. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Turns out the Leak sensors are working either - so all the wireless devices are down?
After further investigation I see the every Insteon device in the house has lost it's settings (every switch was using defaults). I'm using the ISY to restore all devices - which is a pita for the motion and leak sensors!

If and when the ISY Series Controller is rebooted all battery operated devices will lose their previous known state.

This is normal behavior until they are activated.

You should not have to complete a restore device. More likely is your 2413S PLM is dying and if you're indeed still rocking a 99 Series Controller it might be time to take advantage of the upgrade program! ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Teken said:

If and when the ISY Series Controller is rebooted all battery operated devices will lose their previous known state.

This is normal behavior until they are activated.

You should not have to complete a restore device. More likely is your 2413S PLM is dying and if you're indeed still rocking a 99 Series Controller it might be time to take advantage of the upgrade program! ?emoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it's possible the PLM is at fault. But that still would not explain why many of the switches had lost their settings (fade, max, etc.)? I'm guessing the firmware can't maintain values after an extended period without power. Anyway, I got it all back up and running and replaced some of the motion sensor batteries which were getting low. As for my ISY, I did upgrade some time ago - it's the ISY994i.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, arzoo said:

I guess it's possible the PLM is at fault. But that still would not explain why many of the switches had lost their settings (fade, max, etc.)? Anyway, I got it all back up and running and replaced some of the motion sensor batteries which were getting low. As for my ISY, I did upgrade some time ago - it's the ISY994i.

Thanks!

Glad you got it sorted out but if your 2413S PLM is close to the two year mark in production its time to repair or replace that hardware. Also, its best practice to have the ISY Series Controller on a small filtered UPS.

This way you won't lose the sensors last state along with protecting your valuable controller . . .

On ‎2018‎.‎03‎.‎09 at 8:55 PM, arzoo said:

Hi All,

Thanks

After further investigation it seems like most every Insteon device in the house has lost it's settings (switches are using defaults). I'm using the ISY to restore all devices - which is a pita for the motion and leak sensors!

You cannot get a response from battery operated Insteon devices by queerying them, unless you put them into linking mode first,  one at a time.

ISY always shows blank field from these devices until they report a change the first time since ISY power up.

Archived