1 Wire Temp Sensors for water pipes

glacier991

I have a sewage sump pump in my house,and it has an audible alarm locally that runs off dry contacts. I plan to integrate that into myHA fo spread the failure notification ability. I ran across the Aeotec Univeralalarm and it also supports 4 1 wire temp sensors, which got me to thinking...My sump pump is near my hot water heaters so why not go ahead and monitor the water temps since the ability is closeby? Then I ran into the current problem. How to get a 1 wire sensor (undoubtedly the DS18B20) into a pressurized water system. They make threaded water/pressuretight thermistor type sensors, but I cannot fins a one wire DS18B20 sensor in thatarrangement, though I have searched. Anyone have any experience or know of a source?Do they even exist? Thanks!

14 minutes ago, glacier991 said:

I have a sewage sump pump in my house,and it has an audible alarm locally that runs off dry contacts. I plan to integrate that into myHA fo spread the failure notification ability. I ran across the Aeotec Univeralalarm and it also supports 4 1 wire temp sensors, which got me to thinking...My sump pump is near my hot water heaters so why not go ahead and monitor the water temps since the ability is closeby? Then I ran into the current problem. How to get a 1 wire sensor (undoubtedly the DS18B20) into a pressurized water system. They make threaded water/pressuretight thermistor type sensors, but I cannot fins a one wire DS18B20 sensor in thatarrangement, though I have searched. Anyone have any experience or know of a source?Do they even exist? Thanks!

I have four systems which monitor exactly what you're asking about. The primary system is monitored by the Autelis Bridge which is a 32 channel 1 wire controller which integrates directly to the ISY Series Controller. That sensor is affixed to the hot side of the water pipe using thermal paste and foil tape which is then enclosed in thermal pipe insulation. The second system is from the Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM) which also monitors the same location and that data is fed into the Dash Box (DB).

The GEM & DB's primary role is energy monitoring / energy management but it also provides insight to water consumption, temperature, and gas.

The third system is the Aquanta smart hot water system which has a encapsulated resistive wire probe which goes inside of the HWT. This long wire probe measure the internal temperature of the entire tank from top to bottom. More specifically it knows what the temperature is at the very bottom vs the top. The system measures and captures water consumption, energy consumption, remote control, scheduling, leak detection, and long term historic metric review.

The forth system is from my Guardian System Monitor (GSM) which also measures and monitors the HWT for temp but leakage.

24 minutes ago, glacier991 said:

Typically you don't need to. You metal tape the 1-wire sensor to the metal side of the vessel, with some conductive grease (silicone grease is good)  and then insulate the outside of the thermally bonded sensor, to insulate it from the surrounding air. A hunk of styrofoam works well and lsome banding of some kind. Tape falls off with heat.

37 minutes ago, glacier991 said:

Have you tried the Aeotec Univeral Alarm yet?  I am curious if ALL the temperatures / sensor functions (6) are compatible with the ISY.  Thanks..

Tenken, Larrrylix:  Thanks for your replies. I will follow your advice, but a thread in unit just seemed so...so... elegant! In the end, it is whatever works.

Kschex:  No I haven't gotten to the ordering part yet. Looks like it will need its own project box, and I haven't gotteninto that"design" process yet. It is just a board, soI will need to mount it and investigate if it needs a power supply.

Thanks glacier991 for the reply.  I  originally used Web Control WC8 modules for sending temps to the ISY as variables.  I am slowly switching over to Beagle Bone with discrete sensors as I can fit multiple inputs and outputs in one "box". 

Archived