OK, help me get this thing working...

mdcastle

Received my ISY last night (actually my third, but that's a long, long story that's between me and SmartHome). Tried to play with it but wound up with a few issues.

1.) First of all, I had communications problems with the majority of my devices. Ran an extension cord from the my bedroom into my office to plug the PLM into a different circuit than my computer equipment. Problem solved. OK, but I thought Insteon eliminated this kind of nonsense, and I need a more permanent solution. Can I use a serial cable extension to locate the PLM away from the office?

2.) In trying to drag responders into a scene, I get "task failed" more often than not. It took five tries to drag a LampLinc into a scene.

3.) When trying to do things like change the ramp rate on scenes I was getting Java socket errors.

4.) When changing the ramp rate for a scene, it's not clear whether you're supposed to change the slider when you've clicked on the scene, the controller, the responder, or all of the above.

5. How do you access this from the internet. I don't have one of the "supported" routers, and the documentation is extremely vague as to what settings need to be changed, or even how you then access it from a remote computer. I have the firewall turned on, variable? IP addresses assigned by Comcast, cloned the MAC address from the network card on my first computer.

4.) When changing the ramp rate for a scene, it's not clear whether you're supposed to change the slider when you've clicked on the scene, the controller, the responder, or all of the above.

With the current functionality, you must click on the scene and adjust the sliders from there..... Also, if you want the controller to have the same 'scene' settings, you need to click on the controller and either manually adjust the sliders to match or use the 'copy settings' button.

I agree that this isn't very intuitive. Theoretically there are times that you might want slightly different settings from a scene whether you call the scene by name or by on of its controllers... but I think that this just adds confusion.

In my experience, I think that when you drag a controller to the scene, that controller should take on the settings of the scene.

If someone needs another similar scene, I think that another should be created. Keeping it simple. If people don't want to completely recreate one... just use a 'copy scene' function.

5) Accessing from the Internet

- "Enable Internet Access" from "File" menu

- Linksys router (WRT54G): Applications & Gaming tab | Port Range Forward

Add a Port Range that maps to your internal IP address and click "enable"

- Non-fixed IP: use DYNDNS.ORG or equivalent

- Access from http://your.dyndns.org:12345/0/x (non-fixed IP)

or http://123.567.8.9:12345/0/x (fixed IP)

or http://yourwebsite.com:12345/0/x

- Click "Help" "About" to get information on your specific links

when i get those task failed messages, it generally means the plm is tired and is not talking with the isy (watch the led and see if it flashes when the isy is saving a config change to the network - the console gets an error code with the number 15 in it)

if you unplug the plm a few seconds, then plug it back in you should get a few more save operations (the isy does not have to be reset) - if you wait until the next day, the plm is rested well enough to work longer

this may be unique to my plm, but watching the led for activity (or checking the console for messages) should tell you if your plm gets lazy like mine

(this only happened to me when i was doing lots of setup activity)

mdcastle,

I apologize for the troubles you've been experiencing. If you get a lot of "Request Failed" messages, then it could be one of the following three things:

1. Signal issue; Please do be kind enough to plug an AccessPoint or a SignaLinc right on top of your PLM

2. You linked devices and "brought existing links" ... if your existing links have a conflict with what you are trying to do with ISY, then the device simply rejects the request. This happens very often with devices that have been linked using HouseLinc (half links/orphaned links)

3. As sloop suggested, your PLM is "tired" ... believe it or not, that's precisely what happens when the PLM is confronted with a lot of operations

We can certainly walk you through all the issues and setup problems regardless of the cause. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly by phone or email.

With kind regards,

Michel

For what it's worth, the program errors seem to have resolved themselves overnight as it was working when I was playing around with it yesterday. For what it's worth, a Java update came to my computer and I installed it. Could have been a tired PLM from plugging in the system the first time and importing all the devices. Or maybe it took a while to re-establish proper communication with all the devices once I determined the PLM didn't like living in the same outlet as my computer. Also my PLM was obviously opened at some point as three of the four screws are stripped. The top nearly popped off when I tried to remove it from an (energized) outlet. Sounds like the PLM is like a lot (most?) SmartHome products- a good idea in theory but buggy in practice.

I did not import existing links as I'm just getting started in Insteon and didn't feel it necessary and I don't have AccessPoints as I have a hard wired phase coupler at the breaker box and don't use RemoteLinc. We'll see if it stays working as I don't really plan to do too much with it until the final 2.5 firmware comes out.

1.) First of all, I had communications problems with the majority of my devices. Ran an extension cord from the my bedroom into my office to plug the PLM into a different circuit than my computer equipment. Problem solved. OK, but I thought Insteon eliminated this kind of nonsense, and I need a more permanent solution. Can I use a serial cable extension to locate the PLM away from the office?

While I find Insteon a lot more resilient than X10 as far as handling noisey powerlines, it is still susceptible - especially if the source of your noise is right next to the PLM.

It could be your PC itself causing noise.

Have you thought of simply adding a FilterLinc to your PC equipment?

Adding Filterlincs is an option, one which I had hoped to avoid by switching to an Insteon system. My X10 system never got to the point where I was happy with the reliablity. Problem is I have electronic equipment plugged into three different outlets in the office, and I have no idea what size filters are required for each, or if only the outlet the PLM is plugged into needs to be dealt with. I know about the Kill-A-Watt, but this all adds up to more and more stuff to buy.

Maybe some people familiar with Insteon can answer some questions so I can decide on the best option.

1.) Is the PLM more vulnerable to noise and signal sucking than any other Insteon device? IE, if I simply move the PLM to a different circuit will I have just have problems when it comes time to install a Controllinc, Switchlinc, and Lamplinc in the office?

2.) Are there any known issues with Insteon and Leviton GFCI receptacles?

3.) Might adding other Insteon devices to the circuit help? They would be at the tail end of the circuit, not between the PLM and the breaker box.

4. ) Is the fact that there is also an X10 Powerlinc plugged into the same outlet an issue?

mdcastle,

I am a little relieved now that you are back up and running. Please do be kind enough to request for a new PLM from SmartHome; if they give you a hard time, let us know and we'll send you one.

As far as final 2.5, may I humbly suggest trying our beta; you will not regret it.

In an attempt to make sure our customers our satisfied, Mr. Steve Lee from SmartHomePro has graciously accepted to have an INSTEON only forum within our forums @ http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=15 . Please do copy and paste your INSTEON only questions to that forum and he will surely reply to them.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with your questions/comments/suggestions.

With kind regards,

Michel

Adding Filterlincs is an option, one which I had hoped to avoid by switching to an Insteon system. My X10 system never got to the point where I was happy with the reliablity. Problem is I have electronic equipment plugged into three different outlets in the office, and I have no idea what size filters are required for each, or if only the outlet the PLM is plugged into needs to be dealt with. I know about the Kill-A-Watt, but this all adds up to more and more stuff to buy.

Maybe some people familiar with Insteon can answer some questions so I can decide on the best option.

1.) Is the PLM more vulnerable to noise and signal sucking than any other Insteon device? IE, if I simply move the PLM to a different circuit will I have just have problems when it comes time to install a Controllinc, Switchlinc, and Lamplinc in the office?

3.) Might adding other Insteon devices to the circuit help? They would be at the tail end of the circuit, not between the PLM and the breaker box.

4. ) Is the fact that there is also an X10 Powerlinc plugged into the same outlet an issue?

For what it's worth, the program errors seem to have resolved themselves overnight as it was working when I was playing around with it yesterday.

they do like a good night of rest - you will have a few hours or so of work out of it before it goes on strike again

i found that if i do randlinc's supercharger discovery (plug the plm into a signallinc), i get another hour or so - but the plm will still exhaust itself and require its sleepytime

perhaps someone will develop a reliable replacement for the plm - not sure who could do that though :wink:

So how do I access this thing remotely then. I assume I need to change some setting in the Firewall section of my router to allow incoming traffic heading towards ISY. So my settings would be:

Filter Name: ISY 26 Filter

Filter Action: Forward

Packet Direction: Incoming

Packet Protocal: ??????

Source IP Begins / IP Ends/ Port Begins / Port Ends: Leave Blank

Desination IP Begins / IP Ends / Port Begins / Port Ends: Enter ISY's IP and Port?

Schedule: Leave Blank.

Anything need to be done in the DHCP server, DNS Proxy, Routing, DDNS, NAT, Port Trigger, Virtual Server tabs?

And then how do I access this? Typing in http://ISY IP Address:16402/0/X?

http://MY Assigned IP address:16402/0/X?

Would it be just best to contact technical support via phone to set this up? I got an offer for them to call to help with the Java problems I was having initially but they didn't state their number or hours.

mdcastle,

Absolutely and with pleasure. We are open everyday except Saturdays.

I can contact you today after 1:00 PM Pacific Time. If you are interested, please send an email to tech@universal-devices.com .

With kind regards,

Michel

So how do I access this thing remotely then. I assume I need to change some setting in the Firewall section of my router to allow incoming traffic heading towards ISY. So my settings would be:

Filter Name: ISY 26 Filter

Filter Action: Forward

Packet Direction: Incoming

Packet Protocal: ??????

Source IP Begins / IP Ends/ Port Begins / Port Ends: Leave Blank

Desination IP Begins / IP Ends / Port Begins / Port Ends: Enter ISY's IP and Port?

Schedule: Leave Blank.

Anything need to be done in the DHCP server, DNS Proxy, Routing, DDNS, NAT, Port Trigger, Virtual Server tabs?

And then how do I access this? Typing in http://ISY IP Address:16402/0/X?

http://MY Assigned IP address:16402/0/X?

Would it be just best to contact technical support via phone to set this up? I got an offer for them to call to help with the Java problems I was having initially but they didn't state their number or hours.

md castle asked:

I don't know specifically about a Leviton GFCI recepticle. But there have been reports on the SH forum about interference caused by some GFCI.

I had to tap into an existing GFCI protected circuit while installing an X10 floodlight. Fortunately, the GFCI outlet that protected that branch of the circuit was also where my tie in point was going to be. Therefore I has able to use the "line" side of the GFCI, so that my X10 signals did not even have to pass through the GFCI. This approach worked without problems for me.

After looking at what you stated about your installation, it would seem best (if possible) to be able to not have your PLM signal pass through a GFCI.

You also wrote:

Up until now, I have been running a PLC in my office to control my devices. I don't know if it is comparable to the PLM in terms of transmission and reception, and sensitivity to power line noise. But I do now that after I put an APC UPS on my main computer in my office, my PLC started registring all sorts of noise on the activity light. This noise would seem to cause slowdowns when I tried to download link changes to my Insteon devices.

I tried Filterlincs and other brands of filters on the UPS with no success. In fact, when I would put a filter on the UPS, the powerline noise got even worse! I finally was able to get rid of most of the noise by filtering select devices that were plugged into my UPS (most significantly, my HP AIO printer), but not the UPS itself. Weird, but it worked.

Strangely enough, my previous Cyberpower UPS did not have the same problem.

I have successfully used FilterLincs in other parts of my house to solve X10 transmission problems. The worst one was actually my son's laptop computer power supply/charger. Strange when you think of all the other electronic gear that I have plugged in, that a laptop would be sucking up so much signal.

I also have halogen under-counter lighting that I had installed this summer. Due to problems that I saw others reporting on the SH forum with such lights, I pre-wired some Leviton model 6287 in-line filters right into the light housings. As far as I can tell I have had no noticeable powerline noise problems caused by these lights with the filters installed

I cannot say if other Insteon devices plugged into your office will suffer similar problems to the PLM. But I know that when I used to have a Signalinc plugged into my office circuit that it would "see" the same noise on it that my PLC was seeing (from my UPS). So I ended up moving the Signalinc to another circuit.

Hope this helps a little.

For the record, I have several Insteon devices behind GFI outlets, including my ISY-26 (w/PLM) and haven't had any issues.

Although I think I've heard 1 or 2 people say GFI has been an issue for them, I think it's a rarity.

Archived