Basic System Maintenance

smokegrub

I have an ISY located approximately 325 miles from my primary residence. This past winter I lost the ability to remotely access that ISY using the Admin Console. Michel helped me with this, ultimately gaining access and control using the portal. I recently arrived at that location feeling confident that the underlying problem was the PLM. However, before replacing it, I did some basic maintenance. I rebooted the modem. Then I rebooted the router. I updated the router firmware, then I tried accessing the Admin Console using the local IP. Worked perfectly! There were two devices that needed to be restored. All the others were fine. I am sharing this to encourage others to perform this basic system maintenance before proceeding to trash their PLM. Having said all this, I will prophylactally replace this more than two year old PLM before leaving for the winter.

Did things freeze up or??? Maybe pickup a Webswitch from Digital Loggers. It has an auto ping feature (easy to setup in the config page) so if the router or ISY doesn’t work (can’t be pinged) you can remotely/manually turn off and on the outlet. You could port forward to the outlet and reset things yourself if needed too as long as the modem is online. Another idea is scheduled reboots of both maybe once a week just in case it can be pinged but is still frozen. Just a few ideas. Depends how important it is, visit frequency etc.

Web Power Switch Pro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765NCB2L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YY46AbHKQRFYB

56 minutes ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Did things freeze up or??? Maybe pickup a Webswitch from Digital Loggers. It has an auto ping feature (easy to setup in the config page) so if the router or ISY doesn’t work (can’t be pinged) you can remotely/manually turn off and on the outlet. You could port forward to the outlet and reset things yourself if needed too as long as the modem is online. Another idea is scheduled reboots of both maybe once a week just in case it can be pinged but is still frozen. Just a few ideas. Depends how important it is, visit frequency etc.

Web Power Switch Pro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0765NCB2L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YY46AbHKQRFYB

My vacation mode on the ISY does this with my router. It automatically reboots it once a day. My ISY is also on an outlet that I reboot with my test hub should it ever be needed.

Archived