Trouble with adding KPL6 v7.2

EricK

I have not posted in a while, system has been working fine. We are nearly finished remodeling our bathroom, thank goodness for deep boxes.  I am getting rid of some older kpl 8 button dimmer in exchange for KPL6 switches.   The KPL dimmers last the shortest of all devices, I have unused buttons, and the 6 buttons are more user friendly in that top is on, bottom off.  I digress.

I was able to add a brand new 6 button 2487S revision 7.2 but this comes up as v.44.  I tried to add another, same model, and get cannot determine insteon engine.  I tried to add manually by selecting 2487S from the drop down and get the same error.  I also tried adding by putting the device into linking mode.  When I did this the flashing light pattern on the device changed, but it did not add.  Running firmware and UI 4.6.2.  I wonder if it is a bad device.  I have a brand new switch link that kept cutting  off and on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

Thank you for your replies. Possiblya communication issue, but I replaced the device with another which works fine in the same location. I’ll test with my bench top set up.  Suspect it’s a device issue. 

3 hours ago, EricK said:

I have not posted in a while, system has been working fine. We are nearly finished remodeling our bathroom, thank goodness for deep boxes.  I am getting rid of some older kpl 8 button dimmer in exchange for KPL6 switches.   The KPL dimmers last the shortest of all devices, I have unused buttons, and the 6 buttons are more user friendly in that top is on, bottom off.  I digress.

I was able to add a brand new 6 button 2487S revision 7.2 but this comes up as v.44.  I tried to add another, same model, and get cannot determine insteon engine.  I tried to add manually by selecting 2487S from the drop down and get the same error.  I also tried adding by putting the device into linking mode.  When I did this the flashing light pattern on the device changed, but it did not add.  Running firmware and UI 4.6.2.  I wonder if it is a bad device.  I have a brand new switch link that kept cutting  off and on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

7.2 is the device hardware version

v.44 is the device firmware version

"Cannot determine Insteon engine"  usually means a communication problem between the PLM and the device. It's possible that there was some interference on the powerline when you tried to add the device being that you were able to add another device at the same location.  Are you sure you did a complete factory reset, i.e. pulling out the set tab, the pushing it un until the device emits a tone, and continuing to holding it in until the tone stops.

Yes, definitely did a full reset. To be more specific, the replacement device had already been added to the isy using my bench top set up (electrical box with extension cord), prior to placement in the bathroom.  Once installed, the replacement device had no comm issues, had to remove it from another scene and added secondary buttons to other scenes. There are at least 10 other devices on this circuit with no comm issues, although I only added one device after installation which was the replacement for the faulty switchlinc. The other devices were either programmed from my bench top or devices pulled before the remodel. 

It's harder to get a device linked than it is for 2 devices to simply talk to one another. 

During the linking process, a device on sends out it's information once. When 2 devices are talking, you have 3 chances for a signal to get through. Since your device was already linked it is possible that it could overcome any issues that plagued the first device.

It's for that reason (and others), I link all my devices prior to install. This includes zwave. With that said, I would factory reset once more just to ensure proper reset and hook it to your test bench to link. 

Success. Sort of. I thought the 0 in the address was an eight. Also looks like a B. I installed my first insteon device about 7 years ago and have many more than listed in my sig. The font used for the address labels has changed over time, not for the better.

not sure why the device would not add when I put it into linking mode and set the isy to start linking.  A lot of my devices are out of service right now due to the renovation and some breakers in the house are off.  Communications may not be as reliable as usual  thank you again for your help.

You are not the first person indicating the new labels fonts are easier to misread.

Though the stock it is printed on seems to be a more rugged plasitc over the smudgy white paper on the older units. That sometimes fell off when the glue dried out.

Archived