Several devices do not work reliably

I have several devices that don't seem to work reliably. Sometimes in the Admin console it says the device is not responding, but when I query it, it usually works. Even if I send a ton of "Fast On/Off" commends, it will not work until queried successfully.

I do have a 2992-222 Range Extender, and I've even placed this near the devices that don't respond properly, it doesn't seem to work. Is there any special configuration needed for the Extender?

In Admin Console, I am unable to see the Device Links Table. Reports "Failed reading device link". I am able to see the ISY Links Table though. Not sure what either of these mean, really.

Got any ideas? Screenshots attached.

Thanks!

2018-06-29_9-07-21.jpg

2018-06-29_9-08-01.jpg

1 hour ago, JBHorne said:

I have several devices that don't seem to work reliably. Sometimes in the Admin console it says the device is not responding, but when I query it, it usually works. Even if I send a ton of "Fast On/Off" commends, it will not work until queried successfully.

I do have a 2992-222 Range Extender, and I've even placed this near the devices that don't respond properly, it doesn't seem to work. Is there any special configuration needed for the Extender?

In Admin Console, I am unable to see the Device Links Table. Reports "Failed reading device link". I am able to see the ISY Links Table though. Not sure what either of these mean, really.

Got any ideas? Screenshots attached.

Thanks!

<pic snipped>

2018-06-29_9-08-01.jpg

I did a little study of the bit patterns once upon a time but not writing any code to decode at the time, they never got pounded into my brain.

The patterns above all contain the Insteon addresses in format xx.yy.zz. and the last line is the terminator found in every Insteon link list.

For the Insteon addresses seen look into your device summary page. Also, you can sort by any field by clicking on the title above the list.
That should tell you what the links are for but not many of the fine details. See SH white papers for that. (Where is LeeG when you need him these days :) )

Can you validate if the problem is when the devices are turned on but ok when they're off? If so, that could indicate that the the load is creating noise and interfering with operations

Are the loads Transformers, motors, or CFL or LED light bulbs? Those are suspect of creating interfering line noise, sometimes regardless of range extenders.

Paul

14 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Can you validate if the problem is when the devices are turned on but ok when they're off? If so, that could indicate that the the load is creating noise and interfering with operations

Are the loads Transformers, motors, or CFL or LED light bulbs? Those are suspect of creating interfering line noise, sometimes regardless of range extenders.

Paul

I'd say it's more of an issue getting the devices on than off, but I've seen it both ways. I have three devices that seem to have an issue, and they are all on the same circuit:

• LED string lights
  • Fan controller
  • Outlet w/small hot water heater under sink

These are all in the same outdoor kitchen area.

Did you do the built in communications test. To see the Range Extender is talking to any other Dual Band Modules?

When you try and add the problem module. If you open the Event Viewer in Level 3.  Then try and add it. It will show the commands to the PLM and what if anything the problem module is sending back. There is a copy results to the Clipboard. Where you can do things like copy it to a temporary text file. So you can look at it further or paste here.

22 minutes ago, Brian H said:

Did you do the built in communications test. To see the Range Extender is talking to any other Dual Band Modules?

When you try and add the problem module. If you open the Event Viewer in Level 3.  Then try and add it. It will show the commands to the PLM and what if anything the problem module is sending back. There is a copy results to the Clipboard. Where you can do things like copy it to a temporary text file. So you can look at it further or paste here.

Sorry, I'm confused. The device is already added. I didn't have any problems adding it.

As for the communication test, where is this performed? I thought I just plugged in the Range Extender and it worked out of the box.

1 hour ago, JBHorne said:

I'd say it's more of an issue getting the devices on than off, but I've seen it both ways. I have three devices that seem to have an issue, and they are all on the same circuit:

• LED string lights
  • Fan controller
  • Outlet w/small hot water heater under sink

These are all in the same outdoor kitchen area.

Every one of those 3 is on the line noise suspect list. Can you unplug all 3 loads from their switches, exercise them with the admin console and see if things improve? (not sure if you mean fanlinc by fan controller, just turn it and its light off if so)

If they do improve, plug things back in, one at a time, until things break again. That's your culprit and it will need a filter linc on it (if this is the problem)

Paul

The Range Extender does work right out of the box.

The communications test just verifies it can talk to at least one other Dual Band module and if it is on the same phase of the power or is also coupling to the other phase. Not necessary to make it work properly.  It is shown in the Quick Guide in the box . It is referred to as the Phase Detection tests. The LED flashes and color also will show up on other Dual Band Modules if in the RF range of the Range Extender doing the test.

The communications test or beacon test. Is in most of the Dual Band modules. Some use  the four tap method to start it. Some use a flow chart with LED flash patterns and color. Full users manuals will give information on how to start it.

Archived