Quality Wireless Motion Sensor for the ISY?

Bill Morrow

Does anyone make a quality Outdoor Wireless Motion Sensor for the ISY.  The Insteon sensors are consumer crap, that I might consider using indoors.

I'm currently using wired Optex sensors outdoors, but these were $200 each 20 years ago. I have to have some work done on the house, which means moving all of the wiring for the sensors and cameras. while they cap the trim with aluminum. I was planning to upgrade the cameras anyway, so this is less of an issue. But the installers are not going to want to spend time moving all my wires and stringing them through holes in the aluminum. So I thought I would investigate going with wireless sensors. Hopefully I can find something that's ISY compatible, so that I can eliminate the EZIO-SA. Although I might move the EZIO-SA to the sprinklers. ?

Let me know what you're using for outdoor motion sensors and how satisfied you are with them?

10 minutes ago, Bill Morrow said:

Does anyone make a quality Outdoor Wireless Motion Sensor for the ISY.  The Insteon sensors are consumer crap, that I might consider using indoors.

I'm currently using wired Optex sensors outdoors, but these were $200 each 20 years ago. I have to have some work done on the house, which means moving all of the wiring for the sensors and cameras. while they cap the trim with aluminum. I was planning to upgrade the cameras anyway, so this is less of an issue. But the installers are not going to want to spend time moving all my wires and stringing them through holes in the aluminum. So I thought I would investigate going with wireless sensors. Hopefully I can find something that's ISY compatible, so that I can eliminate the EZIO-SA. Although I might move the EZIO-SA to the sprinklers. ?

Let me know what you're using for outdoor motion sensors and how satisfied you are with them?

Not personally  but some reported good experiences with the wired in Insteon module style devices installed behind outdoor rated MSes inside the octagon boxes.

I'm not sure what your over all intent is but with out serious forethought deploying cheap sensors will give you nothing but headaches. Even the best in class enterprise sensors are installed in very narrow and specific places / zones.

The bulk of them are ground embedded sensors, beam sensors, laser grid, etc.

If all you care about is turning on a motion light(s) to offer perimeter awareness and protection. Consider going that route and integrate a Insteon micro switch to have that integration and awareness. For long term use, its assumed you spec the hardware to endure harsh outdoor environmentals. IP and temperature rating is paramount in the longevity of the sensor. None of the above even addresses the endless false alarms that will ensue with a improper placement and mounting.

Ground embedded sensors are the closest thing to fool proof because *Human / Animal* must literally pass over the field to trip. Beam and laser grid sensors of the highest caliber are expensive and require investment in infrastructure that many will not accept.     

10 minutes ago, Teken said:

I'm not sure what your over all intent is but with out serious forethought deploying cheap sensors will give you nothing but headaches. Even the best in class enterprise sensors are installed in very narrow and specific places / zones.

I'm actually happy with what I have, but I was hoping there was a decent wireless option by now. My current sensors have lasted a long time and do not have issues with false alarms, i.e. they are not subject to sun/shade issues or wind, as long as I keep the bushes trimmed. Although I'm sure the lenses may have some sun damage by now.

Just an opinion insteon Wireless stuff OK for turning on a light but I am looking to convert to the GE wireless stuff and interface to the elk security system. The ge has 2 way comms to verify its working. Im also thinking of biting the bullet and hard wiring all my motion and leak sensors. 

53 minutes ago, Autonow said:

Just an opinion insteon Wireless stuff OK for turning on a light but I am looking to convert to the GE wireless stuff and interface to the elk security system. The ge has 2 way comms to verify its working. Im also thinking of biting the bullet and hard wiring all my motion and leak sensors. 

It's the only way to go if you're serious about long term reliability and performance. You will never have to worry about replacing silly batteries or RF issues. I have a few Insteon devices deployed outside and this was done solely with the knowledge the product was not so rated. That the product more than likely would have a very short  service life but I knew this going in. My intent was to validate and prove the technology was at X stage and to know in real world conditions how it did in my environment. 

As of this writing I can say extreme cold weather operations for their Open-Close sensor, Switch Linc Dimmer / Relay, On-Off Module, Motion Sensor I, I/O Linc, have all passed with flying colors in operations and longevity.

For the very short but intense summers they too have performed well.

I've had a v1 motion sensor up on a pole for more than nine years that is powered by a rechargeable lithium cell that has a home made solar charging circuit up there all nine years. Still works perfectly and is used solely for the purpose of Home Automation Integration. Haven't climbed that 25 foot pole in years and hope never to again! 

1 hour ago, Autonow said:

Thanks, I was hoping to get something native, but it's more important to me that it works reliably. So Wireless with some external interface would not be horrible.

29 minutes ago, Teken said:

As of this writing I can say extreme cold weather operations for their Open-Close sensor, Switch Linc Dimmer / Relay, On-Off Module, Motion Sensor I, I/O Linc, have all passed with flying colors in operations and longevity.

For the very short but intense summers they too have performed well.

Yeah, it gets relatively cold here in the winter, we're protected by the lakes somewhat, that and global warming. The summers are getting warmer, but again the lakes help mitigate that too.

I can't see myself trudging through the snow in January to replace batteries though. ❄️

I think the one sensor is failing, so it might be time to replace it, but I'll check for spider webs first.

I was looking at the Optex 'Wireless' motion sensors, trying to figure out what receiver they used. Then I noticed that it says 'wireless ready'. LOL, why would I pay twice the price of their wired sensors for a 'wireless ready' sensor? I can just stick a battery pack and an Insteon door sensor in an IP66 enclosure and use my existing Optex wired sensors. I think I've found my next science experiment. I'd actually like to use a leak sensor, except that they are not momentary contact.

Archived