OutletLinc versus In-LineLinc

zerop

I'm planning on installing three motorized HVAC dampers.  They come with a 120V to 24VDC transformer.  I'm considering two options to power them.

Option 1: Use an In-LineLinc for each one.

Option 2: Use one OutletLinc for two of them and a second OutletLinc for the 3rd (ending up with a spare outlet with nothing on it)

These will be normally open dampers and all I want is for them to be open or closed, nothing in between (e.g. don't need dimmable In-LineLinc or OutletLinc)

I'm thinking of going with Option 2 solely for cost.  Three In-LineLinc's would cost ~$180 where two OutletLinc's would be ~$100 (that and I think I have a spare one laying around somewhere already).

Thoughts or input?  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Either would work. Personally I'd go with the inlinelinc that way each device is completely independent of one another. Should one go bad, I'm only replacing/reprogramming that one unit vs 2. Minor detail that really doesn't matter.

I'm assuming it will also be installed where it can't be seen. If it were visible, I would definitely go with the inlinelinc since I don't like wall warts. 

5 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Either would work. Personally I'd go with the inlinelinc that way each device is completely independent of one another. Should one go bad, I'm only replacing/reprogramming that one unit vs 2. Minor detail that really doesn't matter.

I'm assuming it will also be installed where it can't be seen. If it were visible, I would definitely go with the inlinelinc since I don't like wall warts. 

I agree with lilyoy1 about using the ILL if only from the view point of independent use and fail over. There are some technical consideration you may want to review before moving forward. None of them are real deal breakers or show stoppers but they are worthy of taking pause and thinking it over.

The dual outlet is one of the latest Insteon hardware and the engineers put in some extra features not seen in many products. They are in no specific order of importance and relevance such as:

250 feet RF range, 0~90% RH, 0.4 watts consumption, 1000 volts surge, 15 amp load, tamper shutters, Optional RF vs Power line On/Off, Smart Hops, etc. If you intend to use a plug insure the plug is thick and robust because if you use something like what you see in X-MAS lights. You will not be able to insert the two prongs into the tamper proof shutter with out losing your mind and breaking off the one or both pins!

No need to ask how I know this . . . :angry:

ILL: 150 feet RF range, 85% RH, <1.00 watts consumption, no surge rating, 20 amps / 1800 watts, rated for Inductive loads (Good for Motors), etc. The ILL has not seen any firmware updates like the dual outlet linc nor as far as I know any hardware changes. 

Both products in my mind are solid so long as you scope them for the proper use case. Things that I weigh out is energy consumption, inductive loads, surge protection, ampacity to ensure there is a buffer when there are quick / short burst of inrush current, RF range.

Given the device will be on the powerline this may not be very important but that extra 100 RF range might make the difference in a noise maker / signal sucker environment. Both devices have *Last Known State* which is perfect but the Dual Outlet has a delayed start up upon power loss / restore. This can cause the system to appear to be erratic when its not only because there is a short boot up vs the ILL comes up much quicker.

Archived