Best option for an Irrigation System?

mike123456789

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After reading Allan's web blog on this project and being redirected to this thread, I am glad to see that the concept is still alive.

Nice work Peter for cutting through the legal red tape and finding the open public domain references.

I'll continue monitoring this thread for future updates.

Or perhaps look for an announcement to be posted as well!

Hello rossarmstrong,

Evapotranspiration was added to our 3.1.3 release to be out shortly.

The accuracy depends on the averages of temperature and humidity as provided by WeatherBug. Testing was minimal since we really do not know the points of reference except those freely available on the Internet.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

This is an exciting thread and I look forward to the enhanced sophistication of irrigation in the ISY/EZFlora system.

We have just completed a major landscaping project in our backyard. 7 of our zones are newly planted and need daily watering to establish while 3 of our front zones are established and need less frequent watering. Will there be a way to incorporate this type of zone specific parameters in the new version or will it be best to have a different set of programs in different folders to handle newly planted zones?

Thanks to all for the work on this!

cheers

• 3 months later...
mikestreb,

I have recently created an evapotranspiration (ET) irrigation system using the ISY 99i (running version 2.7.5 beta) and the EzFlora (v.24).

This combination is working very reliably and I haven't had any problems. I did notice that a quick on and off of a zone (without any wait in between) will not reliably turn off but this sequence would never be necessary in an actual irrigation system.

The ISY only controls the 8 zones and does not interface with schedules in the EzFlora (which is all you will probably need anyway).

The maximum run time (timeout) for a zone can be set from the ISY which is very convenient. This is a timer built in to the EzFlora that will ensure that the zone shuts off after a period of time even if an Insteon off message is not received by the EzFlora.

I have started blogging about my irrigation system at http://blog.allanglen.com/2009/07/building-a-smart-irrigation-controller-part-1.

I will post this link in the "How Are You Using ISY?" forum once I get the rest of the series of blog posts completed.

In Reference to your blog on Building a Smart Irrigation Controller and you comment about using the flex interface as a hack for polling a boolean value into the ISY, have you thought of using variables instead and pushing new values via the REST URL interface ( eg : /rest/vars/set/// )

Archived