Admin "installs" but fails on creating shortcut or app in start menu

rhirsch

I did a auto upgrade to 4.7.3 and my shortcut disappeared and thy i944 app in the start menu disappeared. When i run the start.jnlp it first starts the install and then a Java permission screen appears and I allow and then get an error that shortcut cannot be installed. I tried everything I know and have reinstalled Java and i944 downloads several times even restored form backup, but not shortcut or apps. The only way i can launch the admin console is to make a shortcut that points to where "admin.jnlp" is stored on my PC. I am running the latest Build of Windows 10 Pro. BTW I've used an Isy for years and even had to update to a i944, so not a newbie to Universal Devices.

20 minutes ago, rhirsch said:

I did a auto upgrade to 4.7.3 and my shortcut disappeared and thy i944 app in the start menu disappeared. When i run the start.jnlp it first starts the install and then a Java permission screen appears and I allow and then get an error that shortcut cannot be installed. I tried everything I know and have reinstalled Java and i944 downloads several times even restored form backup, but not shortcut or apps. The only way i can launch the admin console is to make a shortcut that points to where "admin.jnlp" is stored on my PC. I am running the latest Build of Windows 10 Pro. BTW I've used an Isy for years and even had to update to a i944, so not a newbie to Universal Devices.

Have you tried the new ISY Launcher? Here's the link to it.

What version of Java?

I have this problem with Windows 7 SP1 and that problem occurred with both Java 8 (181) and Java 10 (10.0.2). My solution is the same as yours. The problem occurs with both admin.jnlp and start.jnlp. For Java 10 I got a popup message saying that:

Missing Application-Name manifest attribute for: https://isy.universal-devices.com/launcher/isyfinder-1.3.jar
Warning: Java Web Start and Java Plug-in are deprecated and will be considered for removal in a future Java release.
Please contact the developer of this content "Universal Devices Inc." and request an update for this program.

2 hours ago, Broyd said:

What version of Java?

I have this problem with Windows 7 SP1 and that problem occurred with both Java 8 (181) and Java 10 (10.0.2). My solution is the same as yours. The problem occurs with both admin.jnlp and start.jnlp. For Java 10 I got a popup message saying that:

Missing Application-Name manifest attribute for: https://isy.universal-devices.com/launcher/isyfinder-1.3.jar
Warning: Java Web Start and Java Plug-in are deprecated and will be considered for removal in a future Java release.
Please contact the developer of this content "Universal Devices Inc." and request an update for this program.

Clear your java cache of all three options Then try the download again. 

The warning is a java cleanup message and shouldn't be related to this.

post-4697-0-92518300-1471816116_thumb.jpg

Thanks larryllix, I’m pretty sure I did that (because I always clear all of them) but I’ll try it again later when I get time.

I just tested this and I can start the console with start.jnlp but I get the same error (Java 10.0.2) and no icon gets created. I can start the ISY finder with start.jnlp, it just doesn't create a proper shortcut.

I"m using Java 8 Update 181. I had tried the new launcher and that is where I am getting cannot install shortcut. When i select details it then brings up the launcher and I can select Admin console. But want I want is what I had a shortcut and Start Menu app so I can get into the admin console as I had said on my opening post.

4 hours ago, Broyd said:

Thanks larryllix, I’m pretty sure I did that (because I always clear all of them) but I’ll try it again later when I get time.

I just tested this and I can start the console with start.jnlp but I get the same error (Java 10.0.2) and no icon gets created. I can start the ISY finder with start.jnlp, it just doesn't create a proper shortcut.

I had some problems with Win 10 a year back. The icon would end up hid in the start menu root, the ISY sub-menu or my desktop at random.

Archived