Advice debugging powerline issues

For a long time, have had some reliability issues on my Insteon network, with my 2466 style switches (need to use the togglelincs due to WAF).  It's not horrible, but particularly have scene reliability issues (direct device control is better I guess due to the retries).  Particularly, have a couple of scenes that seem to have like 60% reliability).  I've been trying several things to debug:

• Reset some of the switches (particularly the ones with most trouble) and restore from the ISY;
  • Added some Filterlincs onto a stuff I thought would be the most likely trouble areas (e.g., UPS systems in the house, computers, main TV)

I have one of the diagnostic keypads, am trying to figure it out.  I've had it connected in "traffic" mode and plugged in... it's usually pretty quiet, also it occasionally buzzes  (maybe ever few minutes) as like it found corrupted traffic, but I haven't been able to correlate it to some event in the house (something switching).   I've linked it to a switch that controls a scene I've had a lot of trouble with, and used the traffic+distance tests - while it usually shows good, it does have frequent "staggering", like stuff is getting dropped.  I've been trying to do this at the main box, and flipping off breakers, but as of yet, I can't find a circuit that when flipped off, improves matters any.

I have had a few situations where the traffic test on the keypad buzzes error when I trigger a switch on as well.  Like a kitchen switch attached to incandescent island light.  Randomly, not every time.  I don't have any programs that would have triggered because of that and created extra traffic.

Am I going about this right?   Are there any other tricks I need to be considering when working this?  And, just as a question, are there such things as contractors that can be hired to help debug Insteon networks?  (I'm in northern Colorado, FYI).

I think you're approaching it right.   

Have you dealt with bridging the legs of your power system? Either putting dual band devices on each leg and verifying with the "4 tap" test, or putting a signalinc bridge on your panel?

If the answer to that is yes on the bridging the the legs, Colorado is on this list of installers. Not sure how close any of these would be to you

https://www.insteon.com/insteon-installers

Paul

Thanks for the reply.   I do have more than a few dual-band devices on the network, outletlincs and lamplincs.  A while back I used the 4-tap phase bridging test on a keypadlinc, and verified I had some lamplincs on the other phase, so I think I'm good there.  I haven't tried a signallinc yet, assumed that with the lamplincs i probably didn't need it (also consider myself unqualified to install it so been putting that off).

Thanks for the reply.  I have reviewed that article.  Unfortunately, adding modules (extra LampLincs) or floating some to different locations hasn't helped.  I already (as mentioned above) have several (at least 6) lamplincs at various locations in the house, and a couple of outletlincs as well.  I could probably start replacing the switches in problem areas with z-wave, or changing out the switches with dual-band - I've resisted that just due to the fact that that's going to create a decora-toggle style clash that puts me in hairy-eyeballs status with the wife/decorator.

24 minutes ago, webminster said:

Thanks for the reply.  I have reviewed that article.  Unfortunately, adding modules (extra LampLincs) or floating some to different locations hasn't helped.  I already (as mentioned above) have several (at least 6) lamplincs at various locations in the house, and a couple of outletlincs as well.  I could probably start replacing the switches in problem areas with z-wave, or changing out the switches with dual-band - I've resisted that just due to the fact that that's going to create a decora-toggle style clash that puts me in hairy-eyeballs status with the wife/decorator.

You seem to be on the right diagnostic path.

Another possibility is noise on the powerline from, if you have any, CFL or Fluorescent bulbs 

You could also try powering the PLM in a different outlet using a long extension cord to see if that improves the signal

I've no CFLs or fluorescent bulbs.  Used to have CFLs, got rid of them.   Do have some LEDs... but I've also tried to make sure that lights around the house are turned off while doing the testing.

I have tried a little movement of the ISY/PLM before.   I used to have it in basement near the main panel, but I had some scene issues in different places with it there.  Moved it upstairs where it'd be close to a network switch in a closet, helped a lot for that.  Although, seems to have just moved the problem to other scenes...

19 minutes ago, webminster said:

I've no CFLs or fluorescent bulbs.  Used to have CFLs, got rid of them.   Do have some LEDs... but I've also tried to make sure that lights around the house are turned off while doing the testing.

I have tried a little movement of the ISY/PLM before.   I used to have it in basement near the main panel, but I had some scene issues in different places with it there.  Moved it upstairs where it'd be close to a network switch in a closet, helped a lot for that.  Although, seems to have just moved the problem to other scenes...

In that case your next option is to convince the wife that the dual band switches might be the only solution, and they're on sale until tomorrow.

Archived