Using ISY devices as triggers with Alexa routines

ahwman

Hello,

I’d like to use some of my ISY motion sensors to trigger Alexa routines, however none of my devices are seen when attempting to create a routine from within the iOS Alexa app.  All of my ISY devices configured via the ISY portal work fine with Alexa as it is.  I just can’t use them with routines.  Is this possible to make this work?

Thanks,

Chuck

It doesn't seem to work for me yet, but if/when it does work, we can finally trigger announcements!

In the routine, you can create custom announcements.

On the ISY side, create a state variable. In the ISY, add the variable as a echo switch.

In Alexa, use the device as a trigger for your custom announcement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Charlie_Morlock said:

It doesn't seem to work for me yet, but if/when it does work, we can finally trigger announcements!

In the routine, you can create custom announcements.

On the ISY side, create a state variable. In the ISY, add the variable as a echo switch.

In Alexa, use the device as a trigger for your custom announcement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

I’ve already done as you’ve suggested, unfortunately none of the devices set up on my ISY appear in the list of available devices when setting up a new routine with a device trigger...

• 2 weeks later...

The feature is coming next sunday:

You will be able to use take just about any ISY device, such as IOLink, Insteon motion sensor, or even plain switches, and expose them either as a motion sensor or a contact sensor.

ELK zones are also supported.

Using it in routines allows to do pretty cool stuff.

Benoit

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've set up a state variable as a motion trigger in the ISY portal.  I've then set up a routine in the Alexa app and found the "device" that the state variable shows up as and used that in the routine for Alexa to speak some custom words.  I created a test program in the ISY to change the state of the variable to the "trigger" state but nothing happens.

Any ideas why it's not working?

I have a door contact created and classified as a Contact Sensor using the Portal and it appears as a device in the Alexa app.

However I do not have any options in the Alexa Routine "When This Happens" other than VOICE and SCHEDULE.  Have I missed something?  Is this feature working in Canada?

Thanks,

Mike

32 minutes ago, BigDigger said:

I have a door contact created and classified as a Contact Sensor using the Portal and it appears as a device in the Alexa app.

However I do not have any options in the Alexa Routine "When This Happens" other than VOICE and SCHEDULE.  Have I missed something?  Is this feature working in Canada?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm in Canada and it works.

Which Alexa app are you using? iOS?

Could you make sure your app is updated to the latest version?

Benoit

9 hours ago, bmercier said:

I'm in Canada and it works.

Which Alexa app are you using? iOS?

Could you make sure your app is updated to the latest version?

Benoit

I updated to the latest app.. even uninstalled and re-installed. Logged out and in again. Using iOS app.

Should I try removing everything and then re-adding?

@BigDigger , In your Alexa app, go to Smarthome...Then devices....Select the device that you have set up as a contact sensor...At the bottom of the page click on "Create A Routine"...that will take you to routines and then you should be able to complete your routine. This worked for me.

I removed everything in isy portal, removed all devices and skills, logged off removed app, reboot iPhone, re-install alexa app and ISY skill and add a contact sensor through portal..  discovered but the routine still does not show as option. All I see is Voice and Schedule.

@brians, What device are you trying to add to the routine? In your Alexa app have you tried going to Smarthome...Devices....Select the device you want in the routine...At the bottom of that page, you should see "Create A Routine"...click on that and it will take you through the process of creating the routine.

4 minutes ago, dbuss said:

@brians, What device are you trying to add to the routine? In your Alexa app have you tried going to Smarthome...Devices....Select the device you want in the routine...At the bottom of that page, you should see "Create A Routine"...click on that and it will take you through the process of creating the routine.

I don't see that.

I am using a new version of the app which does not have the Smart Home in the hamburger menu anymore. It has house icon in bottom right on main screen which seems to be same thing but adds viewing of groups and feedback of lights etc.

I setup a door sensor off my alarm and it recognized as a contact sensor. If I select the device there is no option to create a routine. The only place to add routine is the hamburger menu in top left at main screen... I get option When this happens with only Voice and Schedule options. I also tried state variables and other switches changing them to contact sensors (and even tried motion sensor) but I never see the option which allows me to use as a routine.

2 minutes ago, brians said:

I don't see that.

I am using a new version of the app which does not have the Smart Home in the hamburger menu anymore. It has house icon in bottom right on main screen which seems to be same thing but adds viewing of groups and feedback of lights etc.

I setup a door sensor off my alarm and it recognized as a contact sensor. If I select the device there is no option to create a routine. The only place to add routine is the hamburger menu in top left at main screen... I get option When this happens with only Voice and Schedule options. I also tried state variables and other switches changing them to contact sensors (and even tried motion sensor) but I never see the option which allows me to use as a routine.

@brians , In addition to having Smart Home in the menu, I also have the house in the lower right corner that takes me to Smart Home. Then when I click on a device in the Devices menu, there is that Create A Routine near the bottom of that device's page. Do any of the devices you click on in your device menu have the "Create A Routine" option at the bottom of their page?

9 minutes ago, dbuss said:

@brians , In addition to having Smart Home in the menu, I also have the house in the lower right corner that takes me to Smart Home. Then when I click on a device in the Devices menu, there is that Create A Routine near the bottom of that device's page. Do any of the devices you click on in your device menu have the "Create A Routine" option at the bottom of their page?

Ya weird, I don't have the smarthome anymore in the menu list. I also do not see an option at bottom to create a routine on any device.

I am using iOS

Client Version 1.24.203945.0

App Version 2.2.235542.0

5 minutes ago, brians said:

Ya weird, I don't have the smarthome anymore in the menu list. I also do not see an option at bottom to create a routine on any device.

I am using iOS

Client Version 1.24.203945.0

App Version 2.2.235542.0

I use Android. I'll take a look at the app on my daughter's iOS phone tomorrow.

1 hour ago, BigDigger said:

Benoit based on the response above do you think my problem is with the Alexa app? 

I just though of something.

Can you confirm you are using the skill "ISY Optimized for Smart Home V3"?

Some users are still using V2, and all of this would not work with this older version of the skill. Perhaps the app does not display the option for this reason.

Benoit