question and comment about dashboard

Jamison_IO

I just logged in for the first time in a long time (a testament to the stability of the ISY!) and saw the dashboard for the first time - is that new? Looks very nice.

I have one comment - at first I could't find out how to update the firmware, even though it was flashing that a new firmware was available. I thought I had to open up the console in order to do that since i didn't see anything in any of the menus. I went to click on what I thought was an "X" to switch, but then realized it was a wrench. My suggestion is to either make that as gear icon or make the wrench icon a little more obvious. Not anywhere near a big deal, but just a simple suggestion.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG.dd0c7c2201ab2f9f06ec9c626fc10634.PNG

Dashboard had been around for a very long time. Its always been a separate download in the download instructions for new FW versions. I think the origins of it was to have an operational / runtime environment separate from the build and configure role of the Admin Console. But things like the JSON based Home Automation Dashboard (HAD), Mobile Apps and third part public domain Home Control packages took over big chunks of the control space. 

The dashboard does have some specific jobs that the Admin Console can't do, like setting up user provided SSL certs, and configuring the smartmeter option - ADR / AMI,  if you have the specific ISY accessory board for that. 

Not sure about the FW update message. My guess is in the dashboard, it is just a message, and the AC is the place to go to do the upgrade. Guessing again, but I'm not sure what the future of the dashboard will be when the admin console migrates off of java. The specific configuration roles listed above might be wrapped into a single web app, and let mobile apps, etc provide a "remote control" capability.

Paul

Archived