Jump to content

Can one monitor a variable in real time?


LarryM

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if there was a way to display a variable in the 'Administrative Console' to see what the current value is.

This could be referred as a 'Watch' window.

For example: display the real time value of a 'counter' as it increments or decrements.

This might be used to help in diagnosing a programming problems.

Link to comment

You can sort of do this with the event viewer (at least in v.5.0.13C).

image.png.ef19397f0cff5c401ac77be9d72730f7.png

The last two entries show me changing the value of a state variable from 0 to 1 and then back to 0.  Only state variables, not integer, seem to appear in the event viewer, probably because they are triggering variables and integers aren't.  While you can't choose to track just a particular variable, you do get a detailed log of when the variable changed and to what value.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, LarryM said:

I was wondering if there was a way to display a variable in the 'Administrative Console' to see what the current value is.

This could be referred as a 'Watch' window.

For example: display the real time value of a 'counter' as it increments or decrements.

This might be used to help in diagnosing a programming problems.

I may be misunderstanding the question, but the Admin Console has a "Variables" tab.  This tab is real time.  If you increment/decrement your counter values in your programs, then they will show up in the "Variables" tab in real time.

PhanTomiZ

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, PhanTomiZ said:

I may be misunderstanding the question, but the Admin Console has a "Variables" tab.  This tab is real time.  If you increment/decrement your counter values in your programs, then they will show up in the "Variables" tab in real time.

PhanTomiZ

It should be noted that in the Admin Console, Programs must be loaded first before the variables Tab will show up. Variables are part of the program grouping in the ISY.

Link to comment

@PhanTomiZ

Thank you for your input.

Yes, when the 'Variable Tab' is selected, you can see the 'current value' of each variable.  Of course selecting other tabs closes the Variable tab.

I was hoping a foreground window could be left open, but I did not make this clear. :(

In other programming IDEs this is sometimes called a 'Watch Window' where you can drag variables in to be monitored.

Being new to this platform, I am still exploring the Administrative Console.

 

 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, LarryM said:

@PhanTomiZ

Thank you for your input.

Yes, when the 'Variable Tab' is selected, you can see the 'current value' of each variable.  Of course selecting other tabs closes the Variable tab.

I was hoping a foreground window could be left open, but I did not make this clear. :(

In other programming IDEs this is sometimes called a 'Watch Window' where you can drag variables in to be monitored.

Being new to this platform, I am still exploring the Administrative Console.

 

 

At one time I had posted a suggestion to have a small square debug area in the admin console under the program Tab, that we could place 2 or 3 variables and their current values for debug purposes. The idea was pooh-poohed at the time, and I cannot find the posting now.

You could start a new thread in the suggestions thread, and see if more support will happen this time around.

It would be nice to debug while watching programs and variable results (even a pseudo flag) on the same screen.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      36.6k
    • Total Posts
      368.1k
×
×
  • Create New...