Google Home beginner's question

CandC

@ nathagt: I have Android 9 on my phone and the GH App does not give you this option: No + device setting initially but once any GH device is added then you can add the UDI.
When you say GH app, are you referring to Google Home app or Google app. They are different (see step 1 in my post)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and no Google home devices so I know it works.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I am referring to Google Home App. I do not doubt that it worked for you but I am suggesting that the Google Home App for Android 9 on Pixel phone might be different: Do you have Android 9 on your Samsung Galaxy S9? The installation was slightly different from what is illustrated on the ISY Wiki ( https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Google_Home_Integration ) The + device option only became available after I had installed the Mini and indeed the installation of the Mini was virtually automatic and differed substantially from the Wiki. It even configured the WiFi automatically including the WiFi key!!!! Even though the key is encrypted Google does know the key!!!!

Edit: the installation of the Mini commenced virtually automatically as soon as the Mini device booted up: Only options were yes and continue...

I am referring to Google Home App. I do not doubt that it worked for you but I am suggesting that the Google Home App for Android 9 on Pixel phone might be different: Do you have Android 9 on your Samsung Galaxy S9? The installation was slightly different from what is illustrated on the ISY Wiki ( https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Google_Home_Integration ) The + device option only became available after I had installed the Mini and indeed the installation of the Mini was virtually automatic and differed substantially from the Wiki. It even configured the WiFi automatically including the WiFi key!!!! Even though the key is encrypted Google does know the key!!!!

Edit: the installation of the Mini commenced virtually automatically as soon as the Mini device booted up: Only options were yes and continue...
Yeah I have the Home app and I agree it doesn't work in that app. I'm really writing this so that people who stumble on this thread in the future know how to make it work if they only have an Android device and no Google minis. You said it didn't work and I said it does if you use the Google (not Google Home) app. The steps I outlined are for that specific app so it makes sense that they would not work if you used the Home app.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, CandC said:

It seems that GH is supplanting Mobilinc for Android phones... 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/google-home-hub-under-the-hood-its-nothing-like-other-google-smart-displays/?amp=1

And.... the new Google Hub supposedly looks very nice and would be great having in a room to control your ISY devices and other devices (Nest etc).

I jumped in and ordered the Google Hub. I dont know when it arrives. It has no camera, apparently for security reasons, though I would have preferred it with camera. If it is somehow similar to the new GH App, then most likely I will like it.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:39 PM, asbril said:

I already have 2 Google Home and 2 Google Mini devices, but I am wondering whether this Hub will work like Mobilinc and/or Agave....

What I can see so far is that, compared to Mobilinc, the App does not show the status (ON/OFF) of the device. If they can get this option as well, then it will be as useful as Mobilinc.

I assume that Wes will come with new gimmicks to keep us using his product.

My Google Home app running on Pixel phone with Android Pie (v9) does show the device statuses. thermostat show the ambient and set temperatures, dimmers show the percentages, switches show the on/off statuses, etc. In my opinion, GH app paired with the ISY Portal provides a complete App. (I monitor my security videos and alerts in a separate app...) 

there might be missing geo fencing

neither would it show temperature from motion detector which does show in isy udajax

On 10/15/2018 at 12:10 PM, CandC said:

My Google Home app running on Pixel phone with Android Pie (v9) does show the device statuses. thermostat show the ambient and set temperatures, dimmers show the percentages, switches show the on/off statuses, etc. In my opinion, GH app paired with the ISY Portal provides a complete App. (I monitor my security videos and alerts in a separate app...) 

there might be missing geo fencing

neither would it show temperature from motion detector which does show in isy udajax

I don't see where google home app shows scenes or programs or anything besides devices.

if you first add it in the portal it will show in GH app but when I added a program in the portal I cannot save it as program in GH. But I can save it as a switch and the the program is listed in GH as a switch and I can run it as "on". I admit that this workaround is unsatisfying: GH app is OK for devices mainly... There is always the udajax which is free and with port forwarding it is also remotely accessible. 

23 minutes ago, CandC said:

if you first add it in the portal it will show in GH app but when I added a program in the portal I cannot save it as program in GH. But I can save it as a switch and the the program is listed in GH as a switch and I can run it as "on". I admit that this workaround is unsatisfying: GH app is OK for devices mainly... There is always the udajax which is free and with port forwarding it is also remotely accessible. 

I have Agave, which is very nice, but it is slow to connect.  I may starting using google home (thanks to you pointing this out) for a quickey.  Trouble is, unlike Agave, I will have to go through and add all of these things to Google Home one by one.  Agave has everything by default.  And I have a lot of stuff.

Archived